Spartan ER on the road...

DW's Father and Evil SM have lived that life for more than a decade now. He tends to get "fed up" with dealing with the various "idiots" in each location after from a few weeks to a year or so. They have been all over the US of A. When they come through the area we put them up i.e., pay for hookups at a nearby RV Park and shoot the breeze. They're on RV number 4 now since they retired, finally got the Diesel Pusher he's always wanted. They tow a pickup behind it (called a toad, or dinghy in the biz) for those short trips for shopping or eating out. They have never considered not living the RV lifestyle. FIL is now 72. The workcampering helps them conserve their limited resources. I expect someday it will have to end, but he shows absolutely no interest in that ever happening.

gal1a.jpg

We once seriously considered following in their footsteps sans the workcampering part, but of late of decided to go with what the RV'ers call a base, i.e. an actual non-moveable home. We do think we'll probably get a smaller Class A like a Safari Trek and do some cruising around the country of and on in the coming years.

I've read that Habitat For Humanity has a huge tribe of RV'ers on call for major projects. They plan to build a dozen homes, they get everything set up a few months in advance, and they put out the word to the RV'ers to sign up.

The nice parts of the country (nice weather) are usually oversubscribed.

Can you imagine having a dozen retired contractors building houses & partying nights/weekends?

Back
Top Bottom