States to where retirees move

From that campground just downstream from Niagara Falls, we drove down to Buffalo to take a look at the city. While wandering around, I saw the Anchor Bar. I had read about it before, but forgot all about it. And stumbling across it, of course we had to go in.

I just found the photos I took. The parking was in the rear, and it was lively inside the bar. They had pretty good business.

That same weekend, we later read that there was a hot-wing cooking competition in a ball park somewhere in the city, but we could not make it.

Last edited:
NC here as well. I don't mind the transplants, but cringe when I see plates from NY, NJ, MA, etc. I was stationed in MA during my army years. I despise the taxes, regulation, and cost of living. My concern is these transplants will move here (often for economic reasons) and vote for the same policies that have those states in financial peril due to underfunded pensions and other social compacts that were used to buy votes using the taxes of generations unborn. NC has our own mess, but we are better at "pay as you go." I would hate to see that be lost. Our founding fathers considered inter-generational government debt as an abomination. So should we.

I moved to NY State straight out of school because ever since I was wee lad I wanted to have a place on one of the Finger Lakes. I worked a long time to get it, now I have it. I ain't leaving to save a few dollars in taxes.

January, February, and March I may want to be somewhere else, however.
You can get decent oceanfront lodging at Myrtle Beach Dec-Feb for ~$1K per month. It's not Miami, but a hell of a lot warmer that NY!

Oh - before I get any hate mail, I get the western NY, Western MA, etc. My issue is with the NYC, Boston, Newark folks and their ilk- they'll be in good in good company in Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.

You can get decent oceanfront lodging at Myrtle Beach Dec-Feb for ~$1K per month. It's not Miami, but a hell of a lot warmer that NY!
Are the clubs on the Strand open that time of year? Is there a fishing pier?

Ha

I moved to NY State straight out of school because ever since I was wee lad I wanted to have a place on one of the Finger Lakes. I worked a long time to get it, now I have it. I ain't leaving to save a few dollars in taxes.

January, February, and March I may want to be somewhere else, however.

A slice of heaven.

I spent a few(too few) summers there growing up. Some of my family still live there 10 months of a year. Property has been passed down a couple of generations.

There's nothing like listening to the lake as you nap!

Last edited:
Arkansas folks.

This state keeps it head down and does not get noticed. Very smart of them.

welllll...we do get noticed here and there, for all the wrong reasons. :blush:

(But, thank you for noticing.)

There is much beauty here and plenty of folks choose this state to retire. It appears to be a pretty good deal.

DH would love to retire to MA and I am tempted, but (cheaper) AR makes more sense to us right now.

Here's an article with a map showing average sales tax by state, if anybody cares. Yes, our Louisiana sales tax is high, but our property tax is pretty low. Guess they'll get us one way or another.

Last edited:
Looks like all states surrounding California are gaining lots of people... :cool:

IDK - In the midst of winter it was 80 and sunny in much of S California today, and DH and I had dinner out on a balcony overlooking the ocean. So there's that. ;)

Here's an article with a map showing average sales tax by state, if anybody cares. Yes, our Louisiana sales tax is high, but our property tax is pretty low. Guess they'll get us one way or another.
Yes, but frugal LBYMs probably benefit from states with low property tax. Since you aren't buying a lot, a higher sales tax doesn't hit as hard.

Lake county IL has really high property tax and it hurt my parents, even with the senior exemption. Really, really high. But in their favor, IL had no tax on pensions. At least for now.

We learned averages lie. Going from MO(low col) to CO(higher col) our costs are lower. The biggest change, saving over 5k annually on property taxes.

Our property taxes are really low. We pay 600/year on a home worth 300k. It has to do with the age of the home. Ours was built in 1950. So if we bought a new home worth the same amount we would pay around 2k/year.

Back
Top Bottom