States to where retirees move

Ahhhhhhh, the country, when I put my sewage system I went to a class at Texas A&M for installers of sewage systems . The person doing the class explained that there are people using 55 gallon drums with holes in the bottom for septic tanks with no harm to anyone . He explained over time they would replace the 55 gallon drum because it would rust out.

Because I have 10 acres a conventional system would be fine . But the county wanted an aerobic system . My perc test showed sandy acid soil .

Why would anyone retire in D.C.?

DC is still in the process of gentrifying. Most new construction is small-ish condos...lofts, 1 or 2 bedrooms, etc. They're targeting the young'uns, luring them in with the promise of a new career, and then trapping them on the job treadmill with a high cost of living. People are moving to DC to work, not to retire.

Louisiana is a great place to retire that is completely undiscovered.

At the moment the outside temperature is about 25°, yesterday the high was 21, and I have been trying for a decade and a half to get DW to move south. Yesterday she did admit that a southern state might be a lifestyle improvement. I hate cold weather. Louisiana sounds terrific!

... City water and sewerage is my Number One requirement for a place to live. We're talking running water and flush toilets and a sewer system to take everything, well, somewhere far, far away from me. To a city girl like me, anything less is descending to sheer barbarism.

YMMV and apparently does for a few of you barbarians living out in the wilderness. :D
My high-country home also has running water and flush toilets. :) It simply has its own system, and it does not rely on the city system, which when it does not work will make you descend into barbarism. :cool:

At the moment the outside temperature is about 25°, yesterday the high was 21, and I have been trying for a decade and a half to get DW to move south. Yesterday she did admit that a southern state might be a lifestyle improvement. I hate cold weather. Louisiana sounds terrific!

It's 61F outside today, but very brightly sunny and warm; I am wearing shorts with a light sweater. It is supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow. Louisiana IS terrific. :D Well, I think so anyway.

Looking at the spreadsheet for the study (part of the 'press kit') the % they quote just show how many are leaving vs arriving by state. So, for example, out of 504 shipments in and out of South Dakota, 163 were leaving, 341 were arriving. So 67.7% of their business was bringing loads in, 32.3% were taking loads out. Vermont had 277 shipments - 91 in, 186 out. That's a slightly higher outbound percentage, which put them in second place.

But it's a ranking of the percentage/ratio of inbound moves compared to outbound moves. It isn't a ranking of how many people moved to the state. If you just look at raw numbers, highest net gain was Florida (2307) then Texas (1567) and North Carolina (1524). Percentage is interesting, but the winner (South Dakota) had a net gain of 178. And these are moving van line shipments, not counting everyone who does it themselves.

Just some observations :)

It's 61F outside today, but very brightly sunny and warm; I am wearing shorts with a light sweater. It is supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow. Louisiana IS terrific. :D Well, I think so anyway.

I'd kill for 61°
Here in South Central Minnesota, it got up to a tropical 24° today, that's the highest it's been in 10 days. :blush:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/

Picture is worth 1000 words. Look at North Dakota at night. It is almost brighter then Front Range Colorado. 16 years ago it was all dark. Now thats growth :)
Very interesting picture.

One needs to look at the intensity of the emitted light, and not just the area that is lighted. North Dakota has a total population of a bit more than 700K. Los Angeles County alone has 10M. Yet the two have about the same illuminated area. LA county light is of much higher intensity because of the density, while in ND perhaps every home is on 1 or 2 acres. It is impressive how spread out people are in ND, even in more populated areas like Williston.

PS. I zoomed into my high-country boondocks home. The light was of course out. :)

Last edited:

Me too! Everybody should move there, IMO. Pay no attention to the second most corrupt gov't in the states (after IL, of course). And the occasional hurricane or flood that moves all those sewer systems above the streets. But warmth and good food has a lot going for it. I'm going to start a campaign to get all the old people to move from FL to LA. I love LA! (wait, I think that one's been taken).

SSSSSShhhhhhhh. Pennsylvania currently does not tax SS, pensions, Ira and 401k distributions. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

And the price of housing is cheap compared to many cities.

Looks like we all need to pack up and move ASAP.

Just a thought, how is the state budget doing? Is their pension system well funded? No point in moving to Illinois #2.

Hmmm - Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri, Kansas.

I think I found a way to 'like' every place I've lived so far.

heh heh heh - :flowers:. Of course in ER one can often bogie off somewhere to warm up or cool down depending. ;)

And the price of housing is cheap compared to many cities.

Looks like we all need to pack up and move ASAP.

Just a thought, how is the state budget doing? Is their pension system well funded? No point in moving to Illinois #2.

And they tax your inheritance.

These maps are fun, indeed. But more interesting to me is the big data behind it. ADP, for example, has gotten into the business of privately reporting job numbers ahead of the government. Now the moving companies have their own numbers.

I suspect they are making money off of this somehow. Not necessarily bad, just interesting.

By the way, NC is a terrible place. There are copperheads, black widows, termites and hurricanes. Don't move there.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You beat me to it! I was just gonna say "We're full - keep out!" but your reasons are more convincing!

Don't forget the brown recluse spider! >:D >:D

I only have one thing to say in this discussion, and you all already know what it is. :LOL:

I would NEVER choose to live anywhere that doesn't have city water and city sewerage. Period.

LOL. I live out in the country, and have my own water and sewage system (no 'city' connections). I have running water and flush toilets(!). My water quality is better than what the people in the nearby big city are drinking, and my sewage is handled much better than the big city handles theirs - for example, my sewage does not overflow into the nearby river everytime it rains hard, like the city's does.

(Though, I still pee in the back yard now and then, just 'cuz I can :tongue:)

LOL. I live out in the country, and have my own water and sewage system (no 'city' connections). I have running water and flush toilets(!). My water quality is better than what the people in the nearby big city are drinking, and my sewage is handled much better than the big city handles theirs - for example, my sewage does not overflow into the nearby river everytime it rains hard, like the city's does.

Post of the day!

I'm jealous! :LOL:

Never thought about peeing from my back deck down to the ground below. The neighbors on the next hill may spot me on their telescope and take a photo to blackmail. And not even doing it at night, for I would be the one suffering from the smell of urine the next day. :nonono:

I moved to NY State straight out of school because ever since I was wee lad I wanted to have a place on one of the Finger Lakes. I worked a long time to get it, now I have it. I ain't leaving to save a few dollars in taxes.

January, February, and March I may want to be somewhere else, however.

Finger Lakes. I was told about the place by a neighbor camper when I was at the Four Mile Creek State Park near Niagara Falls. He said I got to visit it, but I did not have the time to detour from my planned itinerary. But I did have the time to do a short day trip down to Buffalo, and happened to spot the birthplace of the Buffalo wings, so stopped in to get some.

Oops, this is not a travel thread.

Finger Lakes. I was told about the place by a neighbor camper when I was at the Four Mile Creek State Park near Niagara Falls. He said I got to visit it, but I did not have the time to detour from my planned itinerary. But I did have the time to do a short day trip down to Buffalo, and happened to spot the birthplace of the Buffalo wings, so stopped in to get some.

Oops, this is not a travel thread.

The Anchor Bar, in Buffalo.
Close to the Finger Lakes, but not quite there.

Back
Top Bottom