Talk me into or out of a Class B RV purchase

Here is my best tip for backing a trailer. Move the bottom of the steering wheel the direction you want the trailer to go.

Of course the advice to look forward and use your side view mirrors. Chance are you won't see much except the front of the trailer if you look back anyway.

Also the comment, if you get too mixed up, just pull forward and get things lined up. Nobody gets it perfect every time.

I've been towing trailers since 16 years old. Practice helps develop the skills and feel at first, but then it becomes second nature and you don't really have to think about it.

if you get too mixed up, just pull forward and get things lined up. Nobody gets it perfect every time.

Years ago, in British Columbia, I backed the 28' 5th wheel into a tight spot.....tree on one side, and someone had left their truck on the other.....maybe 6" clearance either side. Nailed it!

Couple days later we went to a municipal park.....a field......nobody else there...no obstructions....nothing...I hate to think how many tries it took me to get the damn 5th wheel lined up. :LOL:

There is a youtube channel of a guy who calls himself nomadic fanatic. Lives in a class b with his cat, entertaining with camping tips.

With backing up, the only other thing I would add is have someone stand at the back to let you know if you are going to run over something , or hit the top on something.

They can slap the trailer to alert you :eek:

Ron: One of the things we like is to have internet. Also if I go while I am teaching online I have to have internet. My DH also likes to watch some TV. We also like to use the shower at campgrounds since they are bigger. We have parked in truck stops etc if we just want to sleep and have been driving late.

i've had a truck camper for many years and it serves my purpose. Up until now I have been using a gas 3/4 ton single rear wheel truck but will upgrade to a diesel dually soon. No RV is perfect and there are always trade-offs. The positives with a truck camper are 1. Small enough to drive almost anywhere that I can drive the truck by itself (overhead clearance is the exception). 2. The ability to separate the camper from the truck and drive the truck by itself to explore. 3. The ability to tow lots of different things ie toad, trailer with toys, boat ect. 4. Diesel for mountain driving. 5. Able to service truck almost anywhere. 6. Able to upgrade the truck or camper independently. 7. 4 wheel drive and high clearance. 8. No separate registration for the camper. 9. No separate insurance for the camper (camper is a rider on the truck policy). 10. For me I may upgrade to a 5th wheel camper and already have the truck.
The main disadvantage of the truck camper is less space but for 1 or 2 people it can be enough.

Actually a truck camper might be a good alternative for the OP. The only disadvantage I see is having to get out of the vehicle to get to the camper part, but that disadvantage seems offset by the flexibility described in the previous post.

We have a friend who had a truck camper and really enjoyed it.

Actually a truck camper might be a good alternative for the OP. The only disadvantage I see is having to get out of the vehicle to get to the camper part, but that disadvantage seems offset by the flexibility described in the previous post.

We have a friend who had a truck camper and really enjoyed it.
Yes. I forgot to add that as a disadvantage. For me personally that's not really a problem. I maintain situational awareness and am capable of defending myself. I feel that's enough. This is a reasonable concern for some that can be mitigated by planning ahead.

i've had a truck camper for many years and it serves my purpose. Up until now I have been using a gas 3/4 ton single rear wheel truck but will upgrade to a diesel dually soon. ..........2. The ability to separate the camper from the truck and drive the truck by itself to explore. . .....

I know very little about these, I see them in photos off the truck on legs, which seems pretty handy for storage.
However in a campground, are they stable enough you really don't worry about some kids or a really windy day tipping it over ?

Also when driving around, does the pickup feel tippy due to the weight center being a little higher, or since almost all the weight is within the bed of the truck, there is no effect ?

I know very little about these, I see them in photos off the truck on legs, which seems pretty handy for storage.
However in a campground, are they stable enough you really don't worry about some kids or a really windy day tipping it over ?

Also when driving around, does the pickup feel tippy due to the weight center being a little higher, or since almost all the weight is within the bed of the truck, there is no effect ?

The main consideration is to be on solid ground or put a block under each leg. Once off the truck I can lower the camper to nearly touching the ground. I have wireless electric jacks so unloading/loading I just walk around the camper pushing buttons on a remote control.

It's important to match the truck to the camper. I've got a 10' camper and my single rear wheel truck is at it's max capacity with the camper. My plan is to get a diesel dually. Better able to handle the weight and would be great in the mountains. The gas engine works too hard in the hills.
By no means is this this the most cost efficient route but to me is the most flexible. I can mix and match according to what I want to do The most efficient way to me would be a small bumper pull trailer.

Ron: One of the things we like is to have internet. Also if I go while I am teaching online I have to have internet. My DH also likes to watch some TV. We also like to use the shower at campgrounds since they are bigger. We have parked in truck stops etc if we just want to sleep and have been driving late.

I agree about the Internet. However. I have found that being at a campground is no guarantee of service... in fact, more often than not (particularly at lower priced parks) it is useless. I have spent a considerable amount trying to be self-sufficient in that area and, TBH, not completely successful -- although, more reliable than park "service." (Also holds true for Cell Phone service.)

I have not tried it (except during the rare power failure at the park) but your battery/inverter should provide, at least, a couple hours of TV watching. Now, if you require cable/satellite TV than you are limited to a commercial campground but if low-cost parks are used, that isn't usually the case either.

Yeah, I am a comfort creature too. In eight years, we have yet to use our shower.

WE used our shower once in 9 years. I think we are going to sell it in the Spring. DH was on the fence but he brought it up last night so I think he is ready. I think the 2 cruises we took convinced him that was a lot more fun then the RV. Can't take the babies of course:)) However, once our big old dog is gone we can take the 3 small dogs in a motel. We have done that many times. We only camp for a weekend with friends once per summer so not enough to justify keeping it. Of the 9 years we have owned it we went 5 where we didn't use it at all.

I'm sitting in my fifth wheel trailer in the North Georgia Mountains looking at the Alabama-Texas A&M game on cable television writing this memo on the internet.

It's 65 degrees, sunny and the leaves are about 10 days from peak color.

Only way this day could be better is if I could talk my wife into driving into town to buy me some beer, as I forgot to bring any.

I'm sitting in my fifth wheel trailer in the North Georgia Mountains looking at the Alabama-Texas A&M game on cable television writing this memo on the internet.

It's 65 degrees, sunny and the leaves are about 10 days from peak color.

Only way this day could be better is if I could talk my wife into driving into town to buy me some beer, as I forgot to bring any.

Another way it could be better is if A & M were winning the game.:(

Bman: I think you have the perfect set up. You drive to a close beautiful spot to use it. I doubt we have anything like that around here. It is not expensive and you enjoy being there.

OP, what does the pop-up offer over a tent? We tent camped a lot during our four month road trip and didn't see much of an advantage of having a pop up. We have a large, cheap, Walmart tent that we bought when the airline lost my luggage which contained a backpacking tent.

We have an Aliner brand, A-frame style, hard-sided pop-up. After many years of tent camping out of a canoe, I can tell you it's really a treat for our old bones.

Advantages:

1. A real bed pretty much equivalent to what we have at home other than it's a full instead of a queen.

2. Furnace.

3. Air condx.

4. Mini-kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave, sink.

5. Warm when it's cold, cool when it's hot, dry when it rains.

6. Short set-up time and no canvas (or similar material) to put away wet.

7. Dry camps great (except no air condx) without the racket of a generator.

Yes, there are more amenities and much more space in a large travel trailer, Class C or Class A. But, the little Aliner weighs only about 2k lbs wet and is a breeze to tow.

Yes, a tent and accessories fits into the trunk of the family sedan, and we've used tents many times, but they're a chore to put up and take down and provide only minimal comfort for geezers like DW and I.

Each to his/own though. We know proponents of every style of camping/RVing who can make good arguments for their chosen style. So, if you're still happy with the tent, go for it!

Last edited:
WE want to be close to the sights and we want hookups.

It sounds like you made a mistake in choosing a Class C RV for your travels/vacations. They're great for what many folks like to do, but clearly not for your desires. Why not correct the mistake before investing any more time and money? Everyone has to fit their peg into the right hole and it sounds like you're trying to force something that just doesn't fit.

We all make mistakes. Just kiss this one off and start the fun with your new vacation/travel mode!

Last edited:
I think renting one would probably give you a sense of whether or not such a purchase would end up in buyer's remorse.

I was going to suggest this. DBIL had this great fantasy that after my sister retired they'd buy an RV and see America. He rented one (sorry, no idea what class but it was a big sucker pulled by a truck and it expanded when parked). Sister couldn't go with him when he decided to see the National Parks out West but Dad went. DBIL was a long-haul trucker, so a good driver and handy with big vehicles. He hated it. Getting it connected/disconnected from power, moving it, the mileage (his truck already got miserable mileage, naturally worse pulling that thing). They came back early. End of fantasy. My sister thanked Dad for his part in it!

You may love it, but if you buy it and hate it, that's a harder decision to reverse.

I had wanted to sell it but DH did not. However, just recently he said he is ready to sell it. Fortunately, we bought it used for 14k and put 3k into it so not a huge $ mistake. We can probably get 7-8k for it. The other 2 owners like us barely used it so looks like new inside and has low miles. I wish we had rented one first. We plan on taking cruises or going to Europe on our own which we enjoy doing too.

RV'ing is not for everybody. I like all different modes of travel: fly-and-drive, cruise, and now RV'ing. I like domestic travel, and I like going overseas too. I like to go to national parks, and I like to spend time in museums. There are different things to do, different places to go, different sights to see, and different ways to do it.

The things I have not done include camping or sleeping in a tent, or backpacking, and at this age I feel no desire to start now.

Last edited:
We have an Aliner brand, A-frame style, hard-sided pop-up. After many years of tent camping out of a canoe, I can tell you it's really a treat for our old bones.

Advantages:

1. A real bed pretty much equivalent to what we have at home other than it's a full instead of a queen.
2. Furnace.
3. Air condx.
4. Mini-kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave, sink.
5. Warm when it's cold, cool when it's hot, dry when it rains.
6. Short set-up time and no canvas (or similar material) to put away wet.
7. Dry camps great (except no air condx) without the racket of a generator.

Yes, there are more amenities and much more space in a large travel trailer, Class C or Class A. But, the little Aliner weighs only about 2k lbs wet and is a breeze to tow.

I have been looking for a popup, as I have a van so it cannot really tow even a small normal trailer, but it could do a popup nicely.

I was concerned for a couple, that the A frame would be really small, vs a canvas type popup. However I read they are warmer in very cool weather, since they have more thickness than canvas.

Would you say the temp control is better in the A frame ?

I have been looking for a popup, as I have a van so it cannot really tow even a small normal trailer, but it could do a popup nicely.

I was concerned for a couple, that the A frame would be really small, vs a canvas type popup. However I read they are warmer in very cool weather, since they have more thickness than canvas.

Would you say the temp control is better in the A frame ?

The Aliner has one inch+ thick walls consisting of a fiberglass skin, about an inch of styrofoam and an inner veneer. I guess that would insulate much better than a fabric wall.

We have no trouble camping in moderate winter weather. The propane furnace easily keeps us comfy running only intermittently.

We have an Aliner with a 12 ft box and it is smaller inside than many could tolerate. But, we're campers, not RVers, so we make do OK. Prior to this, we generally camped out of a canoe so we now feel like we have all the comforts of home!

For example, with the couch pulled out into a double bed and the dinette table set up on the other end, the open floor space is only about 6 ft X 3 ft. When we get up in the morning, DW gets up first, gets dressed and sits at the dinette. Then, I get up and get dressed....... If you're looking for a one bedroom apartment on wheels, an Aliner isn't it. Of course, if the weather is decent and we're going to be someplace for a few days, we set up our screen house and that helps tremendously with the space issue.

The Aliner is very light at 2k lbs wet, tows like a dream since it's also low, has a furnace, air condx, mini-kitchen, full size bed and dinette table. We've spent up to 5 weeks traveling with it, sometimes in inclement weather and it works for us.

You need to do what's right for your interests and tastes. We're just completing our 7th year with this camper and are open minded about the future. We could afford a Class A diesel (might cost the kids some of their inheritance) but for what we do and like, the little hard-sided pop-up is good for now. For the future? Who knows?

Our floor plan is very similar to the Rockwood (an Aliner knockoff) floor plan shown in post #4 of this thread.

Last edited:
I'm second Teacher Terry!! I'd be interested as well if you're going to post pictures.

I saw something odd on I-95 today... a truck camper sitting on a 5th wheel flatbed trailer and was chained to the trailer. I'm guessing that someone liked their truck camper, bought a truck that it no longer fit and did some improvising.

Back
Top Bottom