Tequila!

I drink Patron, but I prefer the Patron Anejo. Just my preference. I'm sure it's all good. The Anejo is a little more $$ than what you have pictured. I believe that's Patron Silver in your pic. Either way, it's WAY better than the cheapo stuff I used to drink...:dance:

The Anejo is $45.70 (750 ml) where I buy it on the military base. I don't know what it costs off-base.

Last edited:
When I was living in Mexico last year, I tried Tequila for the first time straight. It seemed to be so important to some Mexicans that I thought it must be good and my friends said I must have some on my birthday. Yuk. Sorry, I just didn't like it and I don't get it.

Yuk?

Do you like any other spirit? Plenty of people never drink 80-proof stuff. I remember a poster here who thinks of my beloved eaux de vie (fruit brandies) as gasoline.

But if a guy can drink whiskey, gin, or rum, etc..., in a straight shot, he should be able to appreciate Tequila. The flavor of the Tequila in that Patron was surprisingly mellow, not what I expected as I only had Tequila in Margarita and expected it to be a lot stronger. Now, that shot was a Blanco, and I now understand why an earlier poster said that the aged anejo may take away too much of the flavor that makes Tequila unique.

And I did a bit of price check, and found out that of the same brand, there is not that much increase in price between a Blanco, Reposado, then an Anejo. For example, the prices for the Patron 3 grades are $40, $47, and $48 for the 750-mL size, as I checked online at Bevmo.

In contrast, the 3 grades of Cognac from a particular brand differ more in price. With Courvoisier as a typical brand, the prices of VS, VSOP, and XO bottles are $25, $33, and $130. That last price is typical for an XO grade from a Cognac maker. There are of course bottles that cost much higher, from $1000 to a ridiculous price of $1.7 million.

I can barely afford the consumer XO grade which I do not drink daily of course. Once thought I would get a $1K bottle for my 50th birthday. Well, I forgot about it when that birthday passed, and might not get it even if I remembered. Maybe for my 60th birthday. Maybe not, as my palate is probably gone by then.

Last edited:
Got a small bottle of Don Julio Añejo for X-mas this year in addition to the standard whiskies; now, I wonder if some of my family is lurking here.

I picked up a 750ml bottle of Patron Anejo today. After reading NW-Bound's post, I'm thinking I need to try the Silver, too. Also picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 15 Yr single malt scotch for a friend. Never tried that either (have never dranks scotch at all), but I wanna sometime.

1394.jpg
+1

Those interested in Tequila should become very familiar with this site.

The above two categories of Tequila are then divided into the following five types of Tequila and are labeled as such:

Tequila Silver - Blanco - Plata - White - Platinum
This is the Blue Agave spirit in its purest form. It is clear and typically un-aged, where the true flavors and the intensity of the Agave are present, as well as the natural sweetness. It can be bottled directly after distillation, or stored in stainless steel tanks to settle for up to 4 weeks. There are some Blanco products that are aged for up to 2 months to provide a smoother or "Suave" spirit.

Tequila Gold - Joven - Oro
Gold Tequila is typically a Mixto, where colorants and flavorings have been added prior to bottling. These "young and adulterated" Tequilas are less expensive and used in many bars and restaurants for "mixed drinks".
There are exceptions however, as a "Gold" or "Joven" Tequila can also be the result of blending a Silver Tequila with a Reposado and/or Añejo Tequila, while keeping the 100% Agave classification.

Tequila Reposado
A Reposado Tequila is the first stage of "rested and aged". The Tequila is aged in wood barrels or storage tanks between 2 months and 11 months. The spirit takes on a golden hue and the taste becomes a good balance between the Agave and wood flavors. Many different types of wood barrels are used for aging, with the most common being American or French oak. Some Tequilas are aged in used bourbon / whiskey, cognac, or wine barrels, and will inherit unique flavors from the previous spirit.
Reposado Tequilas are also referred to as "rested" and "aged".

Tequila Añejo (extra aged)
After aging for at least one year, Tequila can then be classified as an "Añejo". The distillers are required to age Añejo Tequila in barrels that do not exceed 600 liters. This aging process darkens the Tequila to an Amber color, and the flavor can become smoother, richer, and more complex.
Añejo Tequilas are also referred to as "aged" and "extra-aged".

Tequila Extra Añejo (ultra aged)
A new classification added in the summer of 2006, labeling any Tequila aged more than 3 years, an "Extra Añejo". Following the same rule as an "Añejo", the distillers must age the spirit in barrels or containers with a maximum capacity of 600 liters. With this extended amount of aging, the Tequila becomes much darker, more of a Mahogany color, and is so rich that it becomes difficult to distinguish it from other quality aged spirits. After the aging process, the alcohol content must be diluted by adding distilled water. These Extra Añejo’s are extremely smooth and complex.
Extra Añejo Tequilas are also referred to as "ultra-aged".

Also picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 15 Yr single malt scotch for a friend. Never tried that either (have never dranks scotch at all), but I wanna sometime.

Years ago someone asked me to try a blended scotch. I REALLY didn't like it. Then I visited a distillery on a trip to Scotland. After the tour we sampled two kinds of Single Malt Scotch. One was the brand from the distillery (Blair Athol in Pitlochry, in the lower Highlands). Wow! It was a totally different experience from the blended scotch. I brought a bottle back, and after five years I still have some of it left because I only taste it on special occasions. This particular brand is only special order in my area.

The other single malt they let us sample was one with a strong peat nose to it. It was called Caol Ila, produced in the western isles near Port Askaig, Isle of Islay. This one has a different taste experience and is excellent, available in my area, but not cheap. I think 12-year is around $75. The 18-year, when it's available, is over $90. These are not spirits I feel free to partake of all the time due to the cost. But at special moments find them on the top of my list. I can't say I've developed a taste for Tequila.

Years ago someone asked me to try a blended scotch. I REALLY didn't like it. Then I visited a distillery on a trip to Scotland. After the tour we sampled two kinds of Single Malt Scotch. One was the brand from the distillery (Blair Athol in Pitlochry, in the lower Highlands). Wow! It was a totally different experience from the blended scotch...
I occasionally drink whisky too, but have yet to spend time to appreciate the difference between different kinds of whisky. The best I have bought was just a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label.

Talk about blended spirits, I know that better-known Cognacs are nearly always blended, and it is the task of the house master taster to blend different batches from different distilleries to achieve a consistent quality and style. This gives the drinker a measure of reliability, but perhaps takes away some unique flavors that might be possible.

Get yourself that primo bottle of Tequila for New Years babe. Do it.

Get yourself that primo bottle of Tequila for New Years babe. Do it.
Yes, Ma'am!

But I do not know about this "primo" that you spoke of. As I described, it was a pleasant surprise that I found the bottle that my brother poured so agreeable, I would be quite happy to get it or something equivalent. Do I need to spend more?

However, as I will have my brothers over for New Year dinner, I definitely like to get something else, so that we can taste it and compare with the first. I have not paid attention to what Costco carries, so will stop by there first. I have also looked up the address of the nearest Bevmo. Good thing I did, because it moved since the last time I was there. I am a man with a quest.

Last edited:
An update on my Tequila tasting quest.

I did a bit of research online, and found a bottle of Reposado Tequila with decent reviews, yet not that expensive. It's the "Gran Centenario Reposado Tequila". See linked photo below.

I tasted that with my brothers after New Year Day dinner, and compared that with the Blanco Patron. Surprisingly, we liked the non-aged Patron better. The Reposado Tequila smelled too "woodsy". The label said that they used French limousin white oak. Hmm... That is the same oak that is typically used to age Cognac. So, I pulled out my trusty XO cognac bottle, and we all had a sip. Nope, it's smooth and very mild, with no noticeable smell of wood.

What's going on? I do not know, but XO cognac still rules supreme for me. However, the difference between the Blanco and Reposado we tasted could be due to different brands. We all agreed that we needed to taste the Blanco and Reposado from the same brand, meaning Patron, in order to see the effect of the aging.

The quest goes on... I also bought some vodka and gin bottles, but we did not taste all those bottles, and had to save them for another day.

15051.jpg

Last edited:
I remember a poster here who thinks of my beloved eaux de vie (fruit brandies) as gasoline.

It's a matter of taste methinks. I sampled some great eaux de vie during the holidays, all handcrafted by my dad. He traditionally made brandy from pears only, but he has branched out in recent years and now makes brandies from other fruits as well as herbs and flowers.

Again, let me point you to Tequila.net, specifically Reposados - Tequila Reviews at Tequila.net. The "Gran Centenario Reposado Tequila" has a respectable rating of 91 so it can't be all that bad. In any event, you may want to read reasons for why members gave their individual rating for hints on finding your own personal taste preference.

I do have to agree with your opinion of X(tra) O(ld) brandy.

It's a matter of taste methinks. I sampled some great eaux de vie during the holidays, all handcrafted by my dad.
I like to try all different spirits. There are some I like more than others. For example, there is a reason why pear brandy and apple brandy (Calvados) are more popular than plum or cherry brandies; the fruit flavor comes through stronger in the first two.

Yet, I have had a few bottles of pear brandy, and found I like some more than others. It's difficult to say why. Isn't it like a certain woman's look appeal to a man more than another one? Why ask why?

Again, let me point you to Tequila.net, specifically Reposados - Tequila Reviews at Tequila.net. The "Gran Centenario Reposado Tequila" has a respectable rating of 91 so it can't be all that bad. In any event, you may want to read reasons for why members gave their individual rating for hints on finding your own personal taste preference.

I do have to agree with your opinion of X(tra) O(ld) brandy.

Yes, I used that site in my research too. However, other than a general suggestion for avoiding the really bad bottles, the scores may not agree with one's personal preference. For example, I saw that the Patron Reposado ranks lower than the Centenario Reposado. Yet, as I like the Patron Blanco, I suspect I would also prefer the Patron Reposado. That's my next test.

No, I did not say that the Centenario Reposado was bad. Perhaps because we all had a Blanco first, we preferred that there would be no oak flavor in a Tequila. One of my brothers said it made it taste like whisky, which he thought it should not be. Perhaps we will not like any Reposado or Anejo for that reason.

PS. Another test I can do, and one that may be more useful, is to try the Gran Centenario Blanco or Plata. It also has a higher score than the Patron. And its lower price due to its lesser popularity should be a plus.

Last edited:
the scores may not agree with one's personal preference. For example, I saw that the Patron Reposado ranks lower than the Centenario Reposado.

That was the point I was trying to make. The benefit to this system is that everyone gives specific reasons for their rating (well... most do). If you read enough of them you will find those people with similar taste buds to your own. Then all you have to do is follow them to Nirvana.

The other side of the coin is that after all your research you will have a place to "spread that knowledge around" -- I suspect the audience here is rather diminutive. In any event, it is always good to be around those sharing one's passions. (Yeah, passion is probably not the correct word but...)

I like to try all different spirits. There are some I like more than others. For example, there is a reason why pear brandy and apple brandy (Calvados) are more popular than plum or cherry brandies; the fruit flavor comes through stronger in the first two.
Mmmmmm! I really need to get me some pear and apple brandy. I ran out of Calvados a few years ago and never did find another small bottle - just huge ones for mucho $$$.

Any recommendations on the pear brandy brands?

Yet, I have had a few bottles of pear brandy, and found I like some more than others. It's difficult to say why.

I personally think that the distillation process has a lot to do with the flavor of the final product. Some distillers crank the heat up to shorten the distillation time. I think that makes for an inferior product.

I like my dad's raspberry brandy best. Very flavorful, even more so than his pear brandy.

Any recommendations on the pear brandy brands?

My first and favorite bottle of pear brandy is by Jean Danflou, with a captive pear inside the bottle. I acquired it in a travel trip a few years ago.

I searched on the Web, and found that new bottles are labeled "La Captive" instead of "La Prisonnière" like what's on my bottle.

And no, I did not bring back that bottle from France. I spotted that bottle at a back shelf of a liquor store in Boston, and my wife highly recommended that I bought it as a souvenir of the trip.

PS. In order to keep the captive pear from deteriorating, one must keep the fruit submerged in the brandy all the time. Hence, I have been topping it with another pear brandy. It has diluted out the original flavor. It's a tragedy!

Last edited:
I personally think that the distillation process has a lot to do with the flavor of the final product. Some distillers crank the heat up to shorten the distillation time. I think that makes for an inferior product.

I like my dad's raspberry brandy best. Very flavorful, even more so than his pear brandy.

As reported in this forum and on a similar thread, I visited a distillery called Koenig in Idaho, not too far from Boise, and in the Idahoan wine country. They make a very affordable and good huckleberry flavored vodka, and also several fruit brandies like pear, cherry, plum, etc... Needless to say, I spent several hundred dollars there. Need to visit again to restock!

A visit to this distillery and nearby wineries is highly recommended to travelers crossing this region.

The huckleberry aroma is so strong that one does not need to make the liquor from 100% fruit. It would be also extremely expensive. Instead, huckleberry was mashed in with the potato to make the vodka. That was enough for a very strong and sweet flavor. In addition to sipping straight, it's excellent to pour on a vanilla ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom