Votes: 74 29.5%
  • Wine/wine based cocktails

Votes: 58 23.1%
  • Beer/hard cider-seltzer

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • None

Votes: 52 20.7%

• Total voters
Drink on special occasions--vacation, celebration out at restaurant.
No alcohol at home.
Generally mixed drinks, sometimes a good hard cider.

I typically will only have an adult beverage when out, and go for beer because it's what I know. I never got into cocktails because the prices and quality seemed erratic. You could go to one bar and get one of a specific drink for $10 and not want to drive, and you could go to another bar and get three of a specific drink for $30 and feel like you haven't consumed any alcohol. At least with beer, you typically know what the ABV is, and can see the volume you're drinking.

I think that's to indicate things like White Claw, and all the seltzer drinks now taking over space in the beer fridge at most supermarkets. They seem to have a lot of appeal to beer drinkers, and fall into that same 4-5% alcohol in a can category.
The best thing about seltzers is that they're way cheaper to make than beer, so probably keeps beer prices in check for fear of loosing customers.

I imagine the same factory making the ethanol that makes up 10% of your car's gasoline might be alternatively redirected to White Claw. So it's water, flavoring and a fraction of a cent of ethanol. Cheaper than soda pop, since it doesn't include as much sugar. No sitting around in a fermentation tank, waiting for the yeast to do it's magic...just straight into the bottle.

Bourbon... Old Forester 1910, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Buffalo Trace

For the bourbon drinkers... what are some of your favorites?

I like strong flavored liqueurs. I use them in cooking and baking.

Bourbon... Old Forester 1910, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Buffalo Trace

For the bourbon drinkers... what are some of your favorites?
Makers 46 is my favorite, but there are several I used to buy regularly. For everyday Old Fashioned I usually had a bottle of Larceny on hand. I preferred wheated bourbons. I have drifted back to Single Malt Scotch (Lagavulin) and Irish (Jameson Black) for now.

Red plonk. Preferably Merlot, Cab, or Douro.

Beer occasionally in the summer or when we are snow birding in warm climates

White and red for cooking.

Cannot remember when I last had rye. One in a while a G&T when at our favorite AI in Mexico.

Last edited:
When it comes to alcohol, I do not discriminate.

I drink them all, but beer more than anything else. But occasionally a glass of wine with dinner, usually red wine but occasionally white. But if it is hot, a gin and tonic of frozen margherita tastes good. I also sometimes mix beer with ginger beer for a shandy or beer with Clamato juice or Bloody Mary mix for a redeye. Or Bloody Mary's are good too.

It all depends on my mood. I think I'll have a redeye!

ETA: Boy, that tastes good.

Last edited:
^^^^

:LOL: I had a beer last night because of this thread. First one in weeks.:)

Why all the combos?

Cocktails/mixed drink/liquor/RTDs
Wine/wine based cocktails
Beer/hard cider-seltzer
The poll tells me exactly what I wanted to know.

If you want to know something different, start a poll yourself?

Just which alcohol beverage is your preference, not necessarily to the exclusion of others.

Only asking because beer is my third or fourth choice, unlike most of my peers. I have less than 7 drinks/week.

If you don’t drink or or prefer none, you don’t have to vote, but there’s a choice for those who vote before reading.

When it comes to alcohol, I do not discriminate.

I drink them all, but beer more than anything else. But occasionally a glass of wine with dinner, usually red wine but occasionally white. But if it is hot, a gin and tonic of frozen margherita tastes good. I also sometimes mix beer with ginger beer for a shandy or beer with Clamato juice or Bloody Mary mix for a redeye. Or Bloody Mary's are good too.

It all depends on my mood. I think I'll have a redeye!

ETA: Boy, that tastes good.

That first redeye tasted so good I decided to have another one.

For some strange reason, DW thinks Midpack is a bad influence on me. :LOL:

I like Irish Whiskey. My favorite is Knappogue Castle 12 but Jameson’s will do. I also enjoy some mixed drinks, like a dry vodka martini or old fashioned. Vodka with real tonic and lime. Wine with a meal. Bitter IPA on a hot summer day, or a dry cider.

Variety is the spice of life. :)

I guess I stopped hard liquor about 45 years ago. Just lost a taste for it but never really liked it anyway. Wine is wasted on me due to lack of knowledge, interest, and cost. So that brings me to beer as long as it is a chocolate stout. Even so I don't drink very often and I still have a six pack left in the refrigerator from the 2 I bought last December.

Cheers!

^^^^
I doubt that it's any good. Beer goes bad pretty quick.

What about open bottles of whiskey?

Just curious......
I don't know. When I drank whiskey back in the day, open bottles seem to be emptied pretty quick.

I don't know. When I drank whiskey back in the day, open bottles seem to be emptied pretty quick.

Me too, but I've slowed way down. I received a bottle of Lagavulin for my 60th birthday, and it took me almost three years to savor and finish.

+1000

Frank and I don't drink anything alcoholic, or take recreational drugs. We don't care what others do, but that is our choice.

He works in a bar from time to time, and they don't have to worry about him drinking at work. Instead they give him all the free Diet Coke he wants and everybody's happy.

Sounds like me - but it has been a very, very long time since I have worked in a bar :LOL:

Reactions: W2R
I ... So that brings me to beer as long as it is a chocolate stout. Even so I don't drink very often and I still have a six pack left in the refrigerator from the 2 I bought last December.

Cheers!

^^^^
I doubt that it's any good. Beer goes bad pretty quick.

I'll disagree with Car-Guy on this one, I think there's a very good chance they are still very good.

A) It's a Chocolate Stout - can age well, and lots of flavor covers up some minor flaws that would be more apparent in a light lager.

C) It's been in the fridge. Heat will age a beer quickly, cold storage can even improve it (that's what "lagering" is).

Just try it - and report back!

-ERD50

I had 4 of 6 cans left in the fridge from June to the following May.

Called the local brewer to ask if it was now skunk. The answer was no, good to drink. And it was!

I'll disagree with Car-Guy on this one, I think there's a very good chance they are still very good.

A) It's a Chocolate Stout - can age well, and lots of flavor covers up some minor flaws that would be more apparent in a light lager.

C) It's been in the fridge. Heat will age a beer quickly, cold storage can even improve it (that's what "lagering" is).

Just try it - and report back!

-ERD50
I don't know anything about Chocolate Stout Beers so I'll let you "experts" comment further. But I can tell you from experience, that regular beers like, Coronas, Millers, Coors, etc, do go bad pretty quick, even when refrigerated. Like maybe 4 to 6 months. Or at least they taste bad to me and if I'm going to drink beer, I'm after the fresh taste. YMMV

Last edited:
I had 4 of 6 cans left in the fridge from June to the following May.

Called the local brewer to ask if it was now skunk. The answer was no, good to drink. And it was!

Skunking comes from beer exposed to sunlight/UV. It a reaction between hops and light, creates a kind of sulfury taste. I avoid bottles in green color glass, unless they are in a cardboard wrap. A beer in bright sunlight can get skunked in minutes.

So being in the fridge is fine, no skunking (unless your light stays on - and how do we know?) :)

-ERD50

Last edited:
I don't know anything about Chocolate Stout Beers so I'll let you "experts" comment further. But I can tell you from experience, that regular beers like, Coronas, Millers, Coors, etc, do go bad pretty quick, even when refrigerated. Like maybe 4 to 6 months. Or at least they taste bad to me. YMMV

OK, I'm a bit of a beer snob, so my reaction is that those beers weren't good before they went in the fridge either! :)

But you are right, those light lagers are more susceptible to degrading with age, they have such a light taste, that any flaws show through easily, nothing to cover them up. Being kept cold helps a lot in any case though.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom