Votes: 74 29.5%
  • Wine/wine based cocktails

Votes: 58 23.1%
  • Beer/hard cider-seltzer

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • None

Votes: 52 20.7%

• Total voters
Migrated from vodka cocktails recently to whiskey—Old Fashioned for bourbon and Manhattan for rye. Love that cocktail cherry finish!

IMG_2556.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 24
Most craft beers are best a bit warmer, certainly not ice cold. Maybe you could savor those a bit longer, and enjoy the flavor w/o guzzling them?

-ERD50

I'll have to take your word for it. I would never buy a craft beer. I go for the cheap stuff if anything. 99% of my liquid intake is plain old water.

Reactions: W2R
The poll tells me exactly what I wanted to know.

If you want to know something different, start a poll yourself?

I think the poll categories are a reasonable grouping by ABV and serving size. Basically:
-Liquor and cocktails: >30%, 2-4 oz. servings (plus soda/juice for some cocktails)
-Wine: 9-14%, 5-9 oz. servings
-Beer/Seltzers: 4-8% 12-20 oz. servings (English/Imperial pint is ~20 oz.)

What about open bottles of whiskey?

Just curious......

Whiskey and most liquor (high ABV) lasts a long time after opening the bottle. Over months and a few years they might change a little due to oxidation and alcohol evaporation, but generally not a problem. Watch out for lower-ABV stuff like Vermouth, though. It needs to be refrigerated when opened.

OK, I'm a bit of a beer snob, so my reaction is that those beers weren't good before they went in the fridge either! :)

-ERD50

+1

What about open bottles of whiskey?

Just curious......

Open bottles of whiskey are fine. We have a few dozen open bottles in the bar, some have been open for years. They still drink perfectly fine.

Eww, yuk! Fluorescent red cherries are for ice cream sundaes. Use Luxardo's for cocktails. And then use the leftover syrup for the ice cream. :D

Luxardo is good. Amarena is as good or better (more of a personal preference distinction there).

Luxardo is good. Amarena is as good or better (more of a personal preference distinction there).

OK, I just ordered some Amarena's on Amazon.

EDIT - should $20/jar cherries be on the BTD thread? Inquiring minds want to know.

Eww, yuk! Fluorescent red cherries are for ice cream sundaes. Use Luxardo's for cocktails. :D

So childish, LOL. I think Luxardo is fine if you enjoy very sugary, Sugary, SUGARY candied cherries. At least the cherries I used had no added coloring or dyes, no added preservatives, no syrups. Just pitted with the stems left on. And they are delicious.

Luxardo is 50% cherries and 50% syrup, according to the jar’s description. It warns not to refrigerate after opening. The heavy sugar concentration will solidify into solid crystal.

I don't know anything about Chocolate Stout Beers so I'll let you "experts" comment further. But I can tell you from experience, that regular beers like, Coronas, Millers, Coors, etc, do go bad pretty quick, even when refrigerated. Like maybe 4 to 6 months. Or at least they taste bad to me and if I'm going to drink beer, I'm after the fresh taste. YMMV

I just had a Chocolate Stout to see if there was a problem. If there was my tongue hasn't received the message yet.
No problem with the other beers since I wouldn't buy them anyway.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The poll tells me exactly what I wanted to know. ...
I think the poll categories are a reasonable grouping by ABV and serving size.
But what is the significance of that kind of grouping?

To me, that's like lumping different foods together because the serving size and calorie count is similar. People who eat artichokes may not care for sauerkraut, etc - so why combine them? I like beer, don't drink hard ciders-selzter.

I'm not trying to make a big deal about this, but OP says it tells him what he wanted to know, and I'm just curious "What did you want to know?"

-ERD50.

But what is the significance of that kind of grouping?

To me, that's like lumping different foods together because the serving size and calorie count is similar. People who eat artichokes may not care for sauerkraut, etc - so why combine them? I like beer, don't drink hard ciders-selzter.

I'm not trying to make a big deal about this, but OP says it tells him what he wanted to know, and I'm just curious "What did you want to know?"

-ERD50.

I’m not sure what the issue is. The first grouping is all spirits. The second is all wine. The third is all malt beverages. Seems a very logical way to group them as those are three distinct classes of alcoholic beverages.

It seems to me the OP is free to structure a poll any way he pleases. If someone disagrees he or she is free to post their own polll.

Migrated from vodka cocktails recently to whiskey—Old Fashioned for bourbon and Manhattan for rye. Love that cocktail cherry finish!

Do yourself a favor and get a jar of Luxardo cherries. You'll wonder why you ever used neon-red, fake maraschino cherries. Well worth the cost.

Added: Ooops, sorry. I didn't see this has already been discussed above.

I voted for wine, but I’m a beer and wine drinker. I never cared much for hard alcohol/cocktails, even though I’ll try a few now and then out of curiosity.

Cabs are on the menu right now. It fits in with the cooler, rainy weather we’re having. In the summer (warmer) months, I’ll go with a white, a lighter red (pinot), or a rose.

For beers, I love a good non-hazy IPA. Or a traditional Czech Pilsner, but those are harder to find in the US.

So many good beers/wine out there. We live in a good time, where the selection of craft beers and wines are plentiful.

Beer is generally off the menu for me since I avoid grains. However, a recent trip to Europe we went pub crawling in Cologne (Kolsch) and in Belgium - well the beer is irresistible there too.

Now back to no beer.

I like wine the best, so it’s no hardship unless I’m in a famous historic beer area.

I don't know anything about Chocolate Stout Beers so I'll let you "experts" comment further. But I can tell you from experience, that regular beers like, Coronas, Millers, Coors, etc, do go bad pretty quick, even when refrigerated. Like maybe 4 to 6 months. Or at least they taste bad to me and if I'm going to drink beer, I'm after the fresh taste. YMMV
I thought it was BS that standard American lagers would age much in the fridge. So mom (never drinks beer) bought some Yuengling, one year apart, both times for my niece in law, who was going to visit during the holidays. Mom wanted to throw out the old Yuengling, and I said NIL wouldn't be able to tell the difference, so kept both, but segregated. We did a blind side-by-side and sure enough, the fresh one was significantly better as judged by several (4) of us. Unanimous.

^^^^
I know I can sure tell... Matter of fact, as I mentioned, I'll usually toss out any beer over ~4 months old. Maybe still drinkable but not to my palate.

I thought it was BS that standard American lagers would age much in the fridge.

It's not just those, but almost any normal beer from anywhere.
There is a standard in the brewing industry, well supported by research and the experience of competition beer judges, that the shelf life of most beers is about six months. After that period, almost anyone can notice the difference from freshly brewed beer.

There are several reasons for this, but that would be a separate subject.

The exception, and it's a small one, is certain very strong beers like barleywines, extra stouts, Belgian dubbels, tripels, and the like. Those can change in a positive way over time (within limits) by gaining increased complexity. That's probably not noticeable to the typical beer drinker, but plays a role in professional brewery competitions.

^^^^
Our resident expert on brewing has spoken. Just sounds right to me too.

Back
Top Bottom