The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out for a paddle

Attachments

• ron kayak.jpg
    ron kayak.jpg
    666.8 KB · Views: 78
I've been practicing editing with a new version of Vegas Pro (Version 18) that was released a few weeks ago. I decided to upgrade from Version 14 three days ago and this is the first video (60 second short video) I generated using footage I shot last year.

^ that was great!! Nice job on the editing, thanks.

I've been practicing editing with a new version of Vegas Pro (Version 18) that was released a few weeks ago. I decided to upgrade from Version 14 three days ago and this is the first video (60 second short video) I generated using footage I shot last year.

You use a gimbal or some stabilizer?

But on a smaller camera?

You use a gimbal or some stabilizer?

But on a smaller camera?

I use a Crane Gimbal. I have a Crane M Gimbal for smaller cameras and Crane V2 for larger cameras. I also have a Yi 4K action camera with it's own gimbal. It's hard to shoot moving video in 4K without a gimbal.

Picture of my 1956 VW singlecab pickup in the barn at the farm. Some post processing done from original.

Attachments

• 20200731_195946 (2).jpg
    20200731_195946 (2).jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 44
A hummingbird at a friend's house yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0213-Edit Hummingbird 2k.jpg
    IMG_0213-Edit Hummingbird 2k.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 52
That is a great picture. We use to have some old pickups and trucks that where parked along river most likely in the 40's. I think all have got washed in during floods. I wish I would of taken some pictures of those old pickups.

I think this is the lizard that started it all. I've got a dozen of these guys around now from big like this guy to little itty bitty 1 inchers to medium 3 inchers.

8907242335_51e557e3d0_o.jpg

But me thinks this is "fat daddy" that started it all!

But maybe that's "fat mama" with her eggs?

That is a great picture. We use to have some old pickups and trucks that where parked along river most likely in the 40's. I think all have got washed in during floods. I wish I would of taken some pictures of those old pickups.

Thanks - this was a unique place. Bunch of old buildings, trucks, tractors, etc in a few acre fenced in. I couldn't get in because a wedding party had reserved the place. I'd like to go back and get in there to take pictures of everything.

Here's the married couple posing for pics (taken by DW on her phone). They'll have a great wedding album with the backgrounds that were there.

Attachments

• IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 34
Dinear54,
About 20 years ago a new coworker observed photos of my old bug in my office, and eagerly told me about an unrestored 67 double cab from CA that he had in his barn.

He brought pictures in later, and I offered him $10k for it. That probably was about the right price at the time. He almost looked scared, like he might have to sell it to me.
The next day he told me that his wife didn't want him to sell it.

I believe I heard he sold it off a few years ago. I didn't hear how much, but I suspect more like $20k. It would have been fun to have and drive. I think I like the looks of the single cabs better. I hope you are enjoying yours. It looks nice.

I'm considering another old bug, but so far I've held back getting one.

Take care, JP
Picture of my 1956 VW singlecab pickup in the barn at the farm. Some post processing done from original.

Quick Question for the experts:

If one has a high resolution Camera, say 45mpx, and one wants to take lower resolution photos, say 20mpx for an application. Can one set these cameras to do so. I cannot see using the top resolution for every application.

Thanks in advance for you answers.

If one has a high resolution Camera, say 45mpx, and one wants to take lower resolution photos, say 20mpx for an application. Can one set these cameras to do so. I cannot see using the top resolution for every application.

I am not sure of the question -- the term "application" has me confused.

If you are asking how to capture an image at a lower quality, this may be useful. Canon cameras (cannot speak for any other) give a choice of what they call "Image Quality." My 7D, for instance, has 8 JPEG quality settings and 3 RAW settings. The JPEG Quality ranges from 20mp to .3mp and the RAW from 20mp to 5mp.

I am, also, curious why one would not want to capture all images at the highest quality.

I am not a photography expert, but I am a computer expert. My mid-line, 10-year old camera allows me to change the resolution of the photos it takes, but I've set it at the highest resolution and never changed it. Why? Because I can always reduce the resolution when I'm saving or posting images, but you can never increase the resolution of a file. I considered recording smaller images when I went on my African safari, because I wanted to take a lot of pictures, but I wound up just buying a couple of spare SD cards instead, enough to hold a few thousand pictures at full resolution.

Long story short, if you don't have a favorite photo editing program, and it sounds like you don't, I suggest you just reduce the resolution with MS Paint or MacOS Preview. It is a very simple thing to do, and if you need advice I'd be glad to help.

Last edited:
I am not sure of the question -- the term "application" has me confused.

If you are asking how to capture an image at a lower quality, this may be useful. Canon cameras (cannot speak for any other) give a choice of what they call "Image Quality." My 7D, for instance, has 8 JPEG quality settings and 3 RAW settings. The JPEG Quality ranges from 20mp to .3mp and the RAW from 20mp to 5mp.

I am, also, curious why one would not want to capture all images at the highest quality.

Simply because 45mpx is pretty high and takes up a lot of space. Holiday snaps do not need to be such high resolution. I am thinking with respect to the Canon EOS R5 specifically.

If you are keeping old photos on your camera's memory, I suggest moving them off after every shoot. If not to a cloud account, then to your computer's hard drive. You should have space for many hundreds if not thousands of photos. If not, memory cards are pretty cheap. I offload photos usually the same day I take them just because otherwise I wind up not doing it for weeks or months, by which time sharing them isn't as fun.

Simply because 45mpx is pretty high and takes up a lot of space. Holiday snaps do not need to be such high resolution. I am thinking with respect to the Canon EOS R5 specifically.

I have been told that the only "bad" picture is the one not taken. Second to that is one that lacks the resolution required of needed crop. At 45mp, that is much less expensive than additional lens.

Simple answer is yes you can. You can also take one high res and one low res at the same time so you have what you need for each use. So if you need lower quality to post to web, and still have high quality for further processing for that masterpiece you will surely take one day, you have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom