The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent some time around the bird feeder today.

Attachments

• birds 07142020-14.jpg
    birds 07142020-14.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • birds 07142020-11.jpg
    birds 07142020-11.jpg
  • birds 07142020-9.jpg
    birds 07142020-9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • birds 07142020-10.jpg
    birds 07142020-10.jpg
  • birds 07142020-7.jpg
    birds 07142020-7.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • birds 07142020-6.jpg
    birds 07142020-6.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 30
  • birds 07142020-2.jpg
    birds 07142020-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • birds 07142020-5.jpg
    birds 07142020-5.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 29
Anyone jumping in on the New Canon R5 Bandwagon? I am very tempted to Blow that Dough. I will be starting again from scratch after selling all my Canon equipment 5 years ago so as not to have heavy equipment when traveling. So legacy lens' will not be an issue.

Anyone jumping in on the New Canon R5 Bandwagon? I am very tempted to Blow that Dough. I will be starting again from scratch after selling all my Canon equipment 5 years ago so as not to have heavy equipment when traveling. So legacy lens' will not be an issue.
I have looked at all the new info. It seems to be a fine camera, spec. wize. Unless you are seriously into photography, seems like overkill. But as a way to blow that dough, a fine place to go. R6 might be better for you.

Anyone jumping in on the New Canon R5 Bandwagon? I am very tempted to Blow that Dough. I will be starting again from scratch after selling all my Canon equipment 5 years ago so as not to have heavy equipment when traveling. So legacy lens' will not be an issue.[/QUOTE

Not joining the R5 bandwagon. It's more hype than anything else. The camera comes with a disclaimer of 10-15 minute operation at 73 degrees F before it overheats. I wonder how well it would work in Southern California at 100+ degrees or South Florida at 85+ degrees. Right now we have two Canon DSLRs and two Panasonic mirrorless cameras and a large collection of premium lenses that work on both our Canon and Panasonic cameras. We primarily shoot videos now and use our Panasonic cameras most of the time. My next investment will be a AMD 3990X Threadripper based desktop with a Radeon pro 7 graphics card to speed up my 4K video workflow.

Not joining the R5 bandwagon. It's more hype than anything else. The camera comes with a disclaimer of 10-15 minute operation at 73 degrees F before it overheats.

That seems to be just for Hi Res continuous video. It is a little disappointing though. That is common in Mirrorless Cameras, I think. I will debate how much video I will be using it for.

That seems to be just for Hi Res continuous video. It is a little disappointing though. That is common in Mirrorless Cameras, I think. I will debate how much video I will be using it for.

It's also for 4K60p video. I shoot 4K60P with my Panasonic Lumix G9 and never had an overheating problem. The other issue is rolling shutter with Canon cameras. It's not clear how bad it is on the R5 or R6.

Not joining the R5 bandwagon. It's more hype than anything else. The camera comes with a disclaimer of 10-15 minute operation at 73 degrees F before it overheats. I wonder how well it would work in Southern California at 100+ degrees or South Florida at 85+ degrees.
But Canon is selling these new accessories to help with that! :cool:

Attachments

• ice bags.jpg
    ice bags.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 29
Anyone jumping in on the New Canon R5 Bandwagon? I am very tempted to Blow that Dough. I will be starting again from scratch after selling all my Canon equipment 5 years ago so as not to have heavy equipment when traveling. So legacy lens' will not be an issue.[/QUOTE

Not joining the R5 bandwagon. It's more hype than anything else. The camera comes with a disclaimer of 10-15 minute operation at 73 degrees F before it overheats. I wonder how well it would work in Southern California at 100+ degrees or South Florida at 85+ degrees. Right now we have two Canon DSLRs and two Panasonic mirrorless cameras and a large collection of premium lenses that work on both our Canon and Panasonic cameras. We primarily shoot videos now and use our Panasonic cameras most of the time. My next investment will be a AMD 3990X Threadripper based desktop with a Radeon pro 7 graphics card to speed up my 4K video workflow.

I bought the Nikon Z7 a couple of years ago so not in the market.

But you'd expect incremental improvements, though Canon sensors haven't fared as well as counterpart Sony sensors used by Nikon and Sony.

I'm intrigued by the video capabilities, the high frame rates, though I don't use video that much. Also generally high burst capabilities, though I don't shoot sports that much or birds at all.

But also, one of the Youtubers said the level of stabilization may allow you to do up to a 2-second handheld shot. That would be pretty impressive.

However, currently, you can get the Z7 for $1100 less and the Sony A7RIV with a 61 Megapixel sensor for $400 less.

I shot this video on Sunday. We needed to get out of the house and decided to star gazing. It is one of the best locations for astronomy in Southern California.

^Very nice! And I see you caught the comet. It's always a treat when I see one of your videos pop up.

Thanks... We were getting cabin fever and needed to get out. We left our telescopes at home and took three cameras instead. The comet was mostly a dud and barely visible to the naked eye. We needed 4 seconds exposures on that day to capture it from a dark sky. At home we need 10 second exposures now. The views of the Milky Way were amazing and as always the vast majority were attempting to shoot pictures hand held with their smart phones with their flashes on.

Had a visitor

We've been in Colorado enjoying the nice weather. Yesterday late afternoon had a visitor. Watched him destroy a log to eat some grubs then sat down for a rest.

Attachments

• EM121015.jpg
    EM121015.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Ronstar, very nice photos.

If I may ask, what equipment are you using?

Thanks.

I use a Nikon D810.
Bird photos with Tamron 150-600mm lens
Landscapes with Nikon 24-70mm or Nikon 16-35mm
Seldom use Nikon 70-300 and Nikon 20mm prime

Above bird shots I used a tripod - settings F8, 1/320 sec, ISO 2500, 600 mm, continuous (burst) using wired remote shutter release to get a few decent shots.

I dont know why, but some shots in the burst sequence are more sharp than others.

Love all of the pictures and videos--very talented folks here!

First attempt to post a photo, I was lucky enough to find a badger out in the daylight.

Attachments

• D591E229-B6D0-4AAB-A2A2-288DFB416534.jpg
    D591E229-B6D0-4AAB-A2A2-288DFB416534.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 55
I photograph rescued animals (and their humans) as a hobby. This is Jon Snow, from Heartwood Haven Animal Sanctuary (c) 2017 Janet Holmes

pkpr7q5g6h9sbqcigwqlni9ex63zrf

Attachments

• Janet_Holmes_Jon_Snow.jpg
    Janet_Holmes_Jon_Snow.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 41
Sunset on Harvey Lake in Northwood NH last night.

Attachments

• 20200728_201928.jpg
    20200728_201928.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 34
^ Very nice! I like the sunset shots like this where the sun is completely down (or out of the photo) and the clouds are absorbing the last sunlight. And the reflection doubles the color.

Returned from PV condo to Vancouver condo last week:

Attachments

• PVSunset.jpg
    PVSunset.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Vancouver.jpg
    Vancouver.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Umbrella.jpg
    Umbrella.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 284
Status