The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I can't say that I have. The building itself is beautiful (a former aircraft hangar on the US Naval Air Station Alameda), and the building's structural elements are beautiful in their own right (IMO at least ;)). I think that the still's copper color makes it pop enough, even out this rather busy background.

My thought was that the ceiling blends in a big to much with the copper. Since the copper is what makes it pop, it might pop even more without the ceiling. Or maybe not.

My thought was that the ceiling blends in a big to much with the copper. Since the copper is what makes it pop, it might pop even more without the ceiling. Or maybe not.

Oh, you mean the wooden ceiling blends in with the copper? Well, let's give cropping the ceiling a try:

Last edited:
I like the cropped version of FIREd's still, but I also like the original because of the "stills" sign. I think I'm leaning toward the original because of the sign. great shot.

Southern Geek's woodpecker is superb.

I found this old iPhone panorama shot from Sept 2012 and did some tweaking in Lightroom. We've been in winter so long that I can't remember how a lake looks without ice on it

Attachments

• 09202102 backyard.jpg
    09202102 backyard.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 20
Female Cardinal Greeting The Rising Sun

This photo that I took earlier in the week from my backyard has gone Popular on 500px. Thought I'd share it here as well.

Attachments

• DSC_6326.JPG
    DSC_6326.JPG
    583.6 KB · Views: 15
A Sad Tale

I planned to take a 'rocket trail' photo of last night's Atlas launch with my Nikon DSLR. Would be my first attempt to take this kind of photo with this camera. Got set up at my usual shooting location down the street from my house where there is clear view of horizon. Cold night for Florida. About 50 degrees. Checked all the camera settings - ISO 100, manual focus, shutter priority, f/5.6, 30-sec exposure, etc. Battery indicator showed half full. Launch time passes, but I see no rocket. After about 10 minutes, I check my cell phone to see if launch aborted. No info. So, I walk back to house and turn TV to NASA channel to discover that launch rescheduled. I wait until about 5 minutes to launch and return to my shooting position. This time launch occurs on time. As soon as I see rocket on horizon, I hit my shutter release button. And nothing happens. I hit it again. Nothing. I look at info in viewfinder and the battery symbol is blinking. I flip to the info screen on the LCD to see message "Shutter Release Disabled. Recharge Battery". Needless to say, I didn't get the shot. Apparently, even though indicator showed battery as half-full when I setup, by the time I was ready to shoot, the camera decided there wasn't enough juice left in the cold battery to hold the shutter open for 30 seconds. I never experienced this kind of problem with my manual SLR, or my trusty digital P&S. A another DSLR lesson learned.

I flip to the info screen on the LCD to see message "Shutter Release Disabled. Recharge Battery". Needless to say, I didn't get the shot. Apparently, even though indicator showed battery as half-full when I setup, by the time I was ready to shoot, the camera decided there wasn't enough juice left in the cold battery to hold the shutter open for 30 seconds. I never experienced this kind of problem with my manual SLR, or my trusty digital P&S. A another DSLR lesson learned.

Yep, I had a friend who was a real Canon fanatic. But, he bought a small P&S Canon whose battery indicator drove him nuts. It would take weeks to go down to the 1/2 capacity reading, and then drip to nothing in a few more days. Needless, to say, after the first disappointment, he kept it topped up.

One thing, have your tried running the batter down to almost zero and then recharging in to 100% every few months? Supposedly this lets the batter circuitry recalibrate itself and give a more accurate reading. Or maybe it's an old husband's tale.

One thing, have your tried running the battery down to almost zero and then recharging in to 100% every few months? Supposedly this lets the batter circuitry recalibrate itself and give a more accurate reading. Or maybe it's an old husband's tale.

It was good to do that with old nickel cadmium batteries. With the new li-ion or variations thereof that will kill them quickly. I forget the exact chemistry involved but li-ions should be stored with a 50% charge give or take a bit and if they run down to nothing, especially if they're left that way, they're permanently damaged.

It was good to do that with old nickel cadmium batteries. With the new li-ion or variations thereof that will kill them quickly. I forget the exact chemistry involved but li-ions should be stored with a 50% charge give or take a bit and if they run down to nothing, especially if they're left that way, they're permanently damaged.

Yes, but the process that Chuckanut described isn't about the battery per se - it is about calibrating the charging circuit to know what is 'full' and 'empty' for that particular battery. The exact voltage levels vary a bit from battery to battery, and probably over time.

The discharge curves are very flat for a long time, and then they drop off a cliff. So a slight difference in assuming where you are on that curve makes a huge difference in predicting when it drops off the cliff.

Running through the calibration cycle lets the circuit characterize that battery. There is probably something in the manual about this, if not, I'm sure the camera forums will have info.

edit/add: I found this from a canon site:

http://m.learn.usa.canon.com/resour...ery_management_eos1d_1dsmarkiii_article.htmlp

Calibrating the battery:

Please note: the Lithium-Ion battery has extremely good “memory” characteristics and periodic discharging and re-charging of the battery – sometimes called “refreshing” – is not needed to keep the battery’s power level strong. Users can freely charge the battery at any time, regardless of whether it’s nearly depleted or has only been briefly used since its last charging. There is no problem with topping-off the battery by charging it, even if it’s close to fully charged beforehand.

The Calibration procedure here is strictly to keep the Battery Info calibrated, so that the display remains accurate. Here’s why: as the battery is repeatedly used, charged up, and used again, there can be a gradual change in the information being provided to the camera vs. what’s actually going on in the battery. The menu’s display of percentage of charge, in particular, can sometimes drift from accurate readings. The Calibration procedure basically brings the Battery Info back in-line with what the camera is reporting.

The important thing here is that users do NOT need to fully discharge the LP-E4 batteries for the cameras before charging them up, even if there’s an important shoot the next morning. Simply charge the batteries, until the camera recommends the Calibration procedure in the Battery Info display. Calibration (which can also be recommended by a blinking red “Cal/Charge” LED on the charger, when a battery is inserted) takes about 10 hours to fully discharge each fresh battery pack, followed by the normal two hours to charge each back up. For maximum battery life, we recommend users wait to perform Calibration until the camera or charger recommend it, and that users avoid the old habit of refreshing batteries prior to charging “just to be safe."

-ERD50

Last edited:
Wishing the posts on this thread had a "like" button!

:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom