The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you are FIREd but those photos look like you were close enough to be SINGEd....

I was not that close (about 800ft away), but my camera has a big optical zoom which allowed me to close in safely on the action. Still, I could feel the intense heat from the blaze from my vantage point. The building is still smoldering this morning.

13110112685_a7ec7254f4_c.jpg

Read about the blaze in the news yesterday. glad you're OK

The Photographers' Corner

Death of a Mall by jglennhart, on Flickr

Walking around a mall that has been dead for several years, save for a few anchor stores moving out his year. Took some preliminary snapshots today for a possible photo essay, Death of a Mall; or some such. Photos were snapped quickly with iPhone. Trying not to be too conspicuous, lol...

Death of a Mall 2 by jglennhart, on Flickr

Untitled by jglennhart, on Flickr

Last edited:
A few recent photos from around my yard.
#1 is Cedar Waxwing with a beak full of Spanish Moss.
#2 is Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I rotated this photo 90% CW. The bird was actually hanging from bottom of branch, but that composition just felt weird when viewed.
#3 is obviously a bee. I find bees difficult to shoot. The AF on the DSLR/Lens combo I was using has difficulty focusing on small, high-speed objects. I had to take a lot of shots to get one with acceptable focus.

Attachments

• DSC_1534.JPG
    DSC_1534.JPG
    372.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_1373.JPG
    DSC_1373.JPG
    727.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_1632.JPG
    DSC_1632.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 14
i took the little fuji x100s out yesterday for a spin at street photography here in flushing ,queens ny.

great camera with awesome features for street photography. i find i use it more than my nikon d800. quite a few are at iso 1000 or more.

140315_M%26M%20PHOTO-15-X3.jpg

140315_M%26M%20PHOTO-107-X3.jpg

140315_M%26M%20PHOTO-99-X3.jpg

140315_M%26M%20PHOTO-53-X3.jpg

140315_M%26M%20PHOTO-59-X3.jpg

other areas of interest are macro , i love bugs and flowers you can never get to close is my motto. luckily i have not been bitten or stung yet.

nikon d800 with 105mm vr and r1c1 macro flash, and lots of extension tubes.

i enjoy teaching others the art of macro photography. once you learn it becomes so easy to do and cranking out nice shots of flowers and bugs becomes easier and easier.

130902_M%26M%20PHOTO-13-Edit-X3.jpg

130608_M%26M%20PHOTO-116-Edit-X3.jpg

130629_M%26M%20PHOTO-123-Edit-X3.jpg

130720_M%26M%20PHOTO-90-Edit-X3.jpg

130608_M%26M%20PHOTO-80-Edit-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Great macro shots! I can't wait for spring to get out with the camera and do some more of that.

me too. my wife and i are both into photography and when we are not with the grandkids we are out doing our photography thing.

the problem with us both being into it is we have no adult supervision.

whatever we want to buy no matter what it costs there is no one to say no ,don't buy that. in fact we need 2 of everything.

we ended up spending 18k last year on all new stuff and no one stopped us ha ha ha...

here are a few flower shots, i like flower guts.... marilyn is more a capture the entire flower kind of photographer but i like the inner world of flower guts.

131222_M%26M%20PHOTO-22-X3.jpg

131006_M%26M%20PHOTO-6-Edit-X3.jpg

130810_M%26M%20PHOTO-46-Edit-2-X3.jpg

130727_M%26M%20PHOTO-101-X3.jpg

130629_M%26M%20PHOTO-28-Edit-X3.jpg

the problem with us both being into it is we have no adult supervision.

I understand that! DW likes the results - she loves what I do with family photos so she accepts my expenses - but if both of us were deep into it we'd be way overspending on gear.:LOL:

I've done some photo books with Lightroom and the Blurb plugin that comes with LR of family gatherings that if you can catch it on sale come out to ~$17 each for 7x7 pages. Order half a dozen copies and family goes gaga over it.

we are starting to put one together of the new grandkids.

i love the look of the photobooks ..

I bought the Nikon R1 flash kit last spring using the pop-up flash on the D7000 for the commander, really like that. Lens is the 85mm DX macro. The 200mm macro is on my "wish list". The first two were taken in daylight and I used the flash to kill the ambient. 1/250 sec. @f/25 on those.

Attachments

• macro-1.jpg
    macro-1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 6
  • macro-2.jpg
    macro-2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
  • macro-3.jpg
    macro-3.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 10
  • macro-4.jpg
    macro-4.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 8
  • macro-5.jpg
    macro-5.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 6
That's strange - I'm looking at the same images in LR and here they show up about 1.5 stops overexposed losing detail in the white flower and the stalk on the tree buds. The same jpg images. What would cause that?

i have to tell you , i was going to do that and not buy the su-800. others told me buy it , you will regret not getting it if you ever got to try one.

they were right. not only does the su-800 let you gain access to the adjustments without going through menus but the su-800 lets you control lighting ratio.

i can have one flash up to 8x as bright as the other at the subject.

that is different from your typical adjustment which lets you have one flash 8x as bright at the flashes output. that does not mean it is 8x as bright at the subject.

i usually use a ratio of 2:! or 3:! to keep the light from being to flat and boring.

I bought the Nikon R1 flash kit last spring using the pop-up flash on the D7000 for the commander, really like that. Lens is the 85mm DX macro. The 200mm macro is on my "wish list". The first two were taken in daylight and I used the flash to kill the ambient. 1/250 sec. @f/25 on those.

one thing you may want to watch is those whites as they are blowing out on you.. i find the histogram a very important tool when shooting whites and reds as they both blow out easy.

reds especially blow out with little indication in a histogram unless it displays individual color channels.

what you end up with is whites that look like vanilla ice cream with no details and reds that look like smooth tomato skins.

one of the reasons that you want software that allows you to adjust things locally in small areas is you really have to shoot reds and whites darker so they stay preserved. then in post processing you can bring the other areas up to full brightness again.

lightroom is good at that , you can brush exposure in wherever you need it later on.

Last edited:
That's the thing - they are not blown out on the display here in LR but when uploaded here they are. Same display, same settings, etc. but the same .jpg looks fine on screen here. Maybe vbBulletin does something to the image?

Here's the histogram for the flower image. It should not be displayed with blown-out whites.

Attachments

• histogram.JPG
    histogram.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 117
  • macro-4.jpg
    macro-4.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 12
wow that is crazy... are you converting to srgb before posting? lightroom is in pro-rgb. i think your color space is wrong. i will try uploading a photo with white.

130608_M%26M%20PHOTO-153-X3.jpg

I underexposed one stop, that's closer to what it should look like, maybe 1/3 or 1/2 higher would display right.

Weird.

Attachments

• Underexposed-1.jpg
    Underexposed-1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom