The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the current weather system off the coast of California, airplanes are approaching Oakland's airport from the north, which is unusual. This allows me to watch arrivals from San Francisco. I still have to use a 1200mm lens to get close enough to read the aircraft's registration number, and it is a challenge to track a moving object with such a big lens. But I got a few decent pictures out of it:

Last edited:
Today's comment from Thom Hogan is worth reading:

Outrunning Those Just Behind You | byThom | Thom Hogan

Words to live by. I've always though my hiking boots were an essential part of my photo gear. About 3 falls ago I went to get an iconic shot here in Colorado, "the" photo of Maroon Lake and Maroon Bells near Aspen, CO during the peak of fall colors. I'd done it once before in 1978. This time, there were at least 30 tripods set up on the edge of the lake, waiting for the slight breeze to turn perfectly still. I got a real purty picture but so did everyone else and it was decidedly unfulfilling. Wandering off the footpath just a few minutes away I did get a couple that were not like any of the thousands I've seen of the area.

The Photographers' Corner

Wherever you are, there's a photograph. You just have to learn to see it. No need to be around everyone else; they seem to gather in easy to get to locations. Take the extra effort to be somewhere else. It has the added advantage of not having people in your way, to have to shoot around.

Due to the current weather system off the coast of California, airplanes are approaching Oakland's airport from the north, which is unusual. This allows me to watch arrivals from San Francisco. I still have to use a 1200mm lens to get close enough to read the aircraft's registration number, and it is a challenge to track a moving object with such a big lens. But I got a few decent pictures out of it:
Hey - now you're ready to work on hawks in flight!

Hey - now you're ready to work on hawks in flight!

True! Although I suspect that tracking an airplane with a predictable path is a lot easier that tracking a bird in flight. The autofocus on my camera is also quite slow at that focal length.

Last edited:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1394242431.156982.jpg

Not much subject matter available on our walk today: just some light and silhouettes playing against the water. Chiaroscuro.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1394312684.695737.jpg

Both shots with Nikon D200 and 16 - 24 lens

Last edited:
Thanks Seraphim - it's a Lightroom plugin - Silver Efex Pro 2. I downloaded the 15 day trial. It's basically a bunch of Lightroom presets.

Photo Editing program

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive photo editing program that is easy to use?

Thanks for your replies.

Haven't used them but Picasa is free and I think Photoshop Elements is under $100.

iPhoto is a good beginner program but only for Macs.

I used to say Photoshop Elements without reservation but now I'd be torn between that and Lightroom. Lightroom is much better at dealing with large numbers of images, resizing for web/e-mail and the like.

Elements will do ~90% of what Photoshop CS6 or CC will do but is restricted to 8-bit images for the most part and is better at focusing editing on single images and one can do more with a single image than Lightroom. Both have learning curves. With many options comes complexity but once learned for me it was a "Wow!" experience.

I'm partial to Scott Kelby's books on either software package.

I haven't used Gimp or Picasa so cannot comment on those.

Canon comes with the free DPP software which is what I use. It's pretty intuitive and all that's needed for most photographers if you have that system.

GIMP is free and is a photoshop clone - but not as sophisticated or intuitive. I still have an old copy of Photoshop 7, but mostly I use Photogene on the iPad for basic editing when I have no need of levels; it permits working with RAW files.

Haven't used Lightroom or Elements.

After some much needed rain, Northern California is turning green again and I like the colors in that shot:

Last edited:
Five-alarm fire behind my apartment building. A new apartment complex still under construction caught fire this afternoon and burned down to the ground. As far as I know, no one was injured. Adjacent buildings were saved thanks to the efforts of the fire department.

13098826803_7c4c27716a_c.jpg

13098732515_6cb74ecef9_c.jpg

Last edited:
OMG, FIREd!!!! I am so glad that your apartment didn't burn as well, and that you and your DW are safe. That was quite a conflagration.

GREAT fire shot, BTW.

OMG, FIREd!!!! I am so glad that your apartment didn't burn as well, and that you and your DW are safe. That was quite a conflagration.

GREAT fire shot, BTW.

Thanks! At some point, the blaze looked completely out of control and I thought that the whole neighborhood might burn down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom