Thinking of buying a Tesla Model S. Someone talk me out of it!

Here in Bradenton, FL, just filled up at Costco for $2.15/gal. And, ironically, I saw Tesla stock gained about $107 a share today, nearly 14%. What is going on there?

Here in Bradenton, FL, just filled up at Costco for $2.15/gal. And, ironically, I saw Tesla stock gained about $107 a share today, nearly 14%. What is going on there?

I'm not sure.
5b9235bb5c5e5254548b59f5

I was thinking about buying some Tesla stock last summer when it was around $180/share. But I listened to the analysts and short sellers and never moved forward.

As much as I’m a believer in what Tesla is doing, I can’t make sense of the rally. They lost money in two out of four quarters last year. They sold a total of 367,000 cars. And yet they are worth more than every car company other than Toyota. I’m not sure I buy into the current stock valuation.

But they are positioned to grow, and there is no real competition to their cars. So the market believes they are well positioned to maintain their technology lead for a while and leverage it to grow 50% a year. I hope it happens, but I’m still not buying their stock at these prices.

Bought a used model S a month ago. Wow, what a great car. I’ve taken one long tip in it and it was maxing how relaxing it felt. The autopilot, lack of engine noise, and absence of vibration are fabulous. I got to drive both of our BMWs since and they feel completely broken.

I sure hope Elon Musk settles his dispute with California's Alameda County to reopen soon. Otherwise he is threatening to move his business to Texas. :(

Last edited:
They will have to build one that can safely drive thru 6 inches of snow at a cost lower than the current models before I join you.

Born in Chicago, grew up in the Berkshires and upstate New York. I’ve never owned a car as good in the snow as my Model S. If you can’t afford it, that’s another story. They aren’t cheap.

Maintenance

DW and I just got a coupon from Chevy today, reminding us that we had a free service for the Bolt that should be done in the first year (to check tires and coolant fluid/brake levels).

The next one is at year two (same service). If I were paying the utility for the battery charges, it would be about $131 for the 6000 miles driven since October. The extra panels for charging will pay for themselves (in gas) in about 5 years.

Last edited:
...... If I were paying the utility for the battery charges, it would be about $131 for the 6000 miles driven since October. The extra panels for charging will pay for themselves (in gas) in about 5 years.

We have paid $108.55 for gas so far this year and one of the cars tank is currently full, and the other is 1/2 full. So could be blowing another $20 in a month or two !

One benefit of Covid-19 :LOL:

Woo-hoo! Blow the dough! I hear you; our spending on the other "car" the offroad Silverado is down at least 50%, although we might start dry-camping if the remote State Parks open up.

We have paid $108.55 for gas so far this year and one of the cars tank is currently full, and the other is 1/2 full. So could be blowing another $20 in a month or two !

One benefit of Covid-19 :LOL:

I’ve never owned a car as good in the snow as my Model S.
I'll say that our Model 3 is also fine in the Chicago winters. I wouldn't do it myself, but learned there is an after market lift kit available for the Model 3 that beefs the stock suspension higher with spacers to give 7 inches of clearance for the hardcore types who want to off-road with their Model 3. Frankly I think the weight advantage and placement of the battery in either our Leaf of Model 3 makes them great in the snow.

I'll say that our Model 3 is also fine in the Chicago winters. I wouldn't do it myself, but learned there is an after market lift kit available for the Model 3 that beefs the stock suspension higher with spacers to give 7 inches of clearance for the hardcore types who want to off-road with their Model 3. Frankly I think the weight advantage and placement of the battery in either our Leaf of Model 3 makes them great in the snow.

Just curious: How do you modulate the torque when you are in ice and snow? Electric cars develop maximum torque at zero rpm. I would have guessed breaking the tires loose would be a problem. Apparently it is not, but not sure how that is accomplished.

Back in the day (that is to say, when I lived in the midwest and especially when I drove rear-wheel drive cars - including a Vette) I often "snow-launched" cars in second gear to reduce the torque. Even some auto trans cars had a "second" gear which allowed the same technique. Is there any special technique you need to use to prevent wheel spin in an electric?

My experience has been that you just push the pedal down a bit less. Frankly, both of our electrics are very quick off the line, and the M3 will push you back into the seat if you are hard on the accelerator. I try to be a bit cautious when I am accelerating on wet pavement or in snow, but ours is AWD as well, so it grips the surface pretty well no matter what. The 100% torque is something you get used to with driving, just like one pedal operation.

Just curious: How do you modulate the torque when you are in ice and snow? Electric cars develop maximum torque at zero rpm. I would have guessed breaking the tires loose would be a problem. Apparently it is not, but not sure how that is accomplished.

Back in the day (that is to say, when I lived in the midwest and especially when I drove rear-wheel drive cars - including a Vette) I often "snow-launched" cars in second gear to reduce the torque. Even some auto trans cars had a "second" gear which allowed the same technique. Is there any special technique you need to use to prevent wheel spin in an electric?
My Y has "chill mode" makes it drive almost like an ICE vehicle.

Bought a used model S a month ago. Wow, what a great car. I’ve taken one long tip in it and it was maxing how relaxing it felt. The autopilot, lack of engine noise, and absence of vibration are fabulous. I got to drive both of our BMWs since and they feel completely broken.

There is something called the 'Tesla Effect' which is blamed for driving down the prices of used BMWs and other such cars. It seems they are being traded in for Teslas and causing a bit of a glut on the market.

Back
Top Bottom