Thinking of buying a Tesla Model S. Someone talk me out of it!

I used to know a guy who always drove a Rolls. He loved it, but unfortunately it wasn't the most reliable car and would frequently be in the shop. So he had two of them and just drove whichever one was available that day. So even at the highest end, reliability is never guaranteed.

Still, he always had a grin on his face whenever I saw him driving around town. I would have too!

Circa 1964, (before the ports became containerized), for a short while I drove a local truck picking up goods at the Melbourne, (Australia, not Florida), docks.

One of the longshoremen, (or 'wharfies' as they were called there), had an old Rolls Royce that he had converted into a pickup truck, (or 'ute' in the local parlance)........quite the sight.

They are indeed crazy scary and mind blowing fast. Repairs are expensive , the brakes cost over 10k to repair because they seldom get used due to regenerative braking which recaptures the momentum to charge battery. The problem is the brakes don't get used therefore go bad and no one can work on them.

I can't dispute this but just wonder where this information was obtained. I guess I'd especially question $10K for a brake job! My understanding is that each full stop of an electic drive car WOULD utilize the brakes (pads vs rotors). Most of the "stopping power" IS indeed used to recharge the battery (turning the "motor" into a "generator.") BUT the last bit of braking is, as I understand it, provided in the traditional way. (I could be wrong. I was once.)

Also, most modern disc brakes use a constant contact design that ever so slightly keeps the pads in contact with the rotors. This keeps the brakes clean and at the working temp needed for effectiveness. Again, I could be wrong, so take with appropriate levels of salt (maybe add a Margarita along with the salt.)

By the way, back in the day when I drove a 5-speed, I didn't need a brake job in 140K miles - I used the gears for most slowing - only using the brakes in the rare emergency situation or for the last few MPH when coming to a full stop. Never had any problems with the brakes by "underutilizing" them. As always, YMMV.

Here's an interview with an owner who put 1,000,000 kilometers (well over 600,000 miles) on his Model S.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/30/tesla-model-s-1-million-km/#more-113253

Apparently, his next two goals, are 1,000,000 miles and 2,000,000 kilometers.

I believe he attributes the long battery life he is now getting to using his home chargers as much as possible (more often the Supercharger) and keeping the batteries in the 10% to 90% charge range. He accent makes understanding the owner a bit difficult for my old ears

Last edited:
Last month, we bought a Chevy Bolt for 15k, after 13k credit for the trade-in for the Forester. We had intended to replace the Forester in about two years given that it was getting up in mileage, but had solar panels installed in September.
We paid about 6.5k for extra panels and the charger (integrated in the inverter) and were spending about 1800-2000 year on gas, so (ignoring the earlier replacement), the payback on gas savings is about 3-4 years. I'm not including service charges, which can be steep on Subarus; the Bolt needs tire rotation and new wipers every 7500 miles.
Dec-Feb we will fall short of generating enough power to run the house, so a charge at our utility rate is 9c/kwh; with a 60 khz a charge for 240 miles will cost about $7 (no charge most of the year when the panels are producing excess.) Just a note since I saw some discussion of charging costs upthread (from several years ago).
Some in Cali were using an inverter linked to their Bolts to run essential household items like frig and lights when PG&E shut off the grid, but that's not an issue here in Reno (could be with a bad earthquake though).

If we keep the Bolt for 7 years it should reduce the payback for the panels from about 9 to 7 years or perhaps a little less (or more).

We already used the Silverado for long trips (to Seattle to see our youngest), car camping in Utah, and offroad for hiking; it was almost as cheap as the Subie since the latter used premium.

DW loves the Bolt; she's only let me drive it 3x for the last month. It's more utilitarian than the Model 3 (which a friend of ours owns). The range is almost enough to make it to the winemaker in the Central Valley, but I would do a 30-45 minute fast charge in Sacramento, just to be safe (we usually stop for coffee anyway).

I have been looking at the Model S, for years. I will be FIRE at the end of this year. I was thinking of buying a used / demo Model S. My logic was travelling in the car (essentially cost free) would be appealing. Driving across country on the supercharger network... Seeing US tourist sites... Visiting friends/families in other states... Etc.

Also, buying soon gets you free supercharging for life vs cost per charge.

The biggest turn-off would be having upwards of $75-100K tied into a depreciating asset. However, I also am thinking, "can't take it with me" (only live once).

The unknown would be my overseas travel schedule. Hate to buy a $100K car and ultimately spend majority of my retirement years overseas.

Any thoughts? Anyone else buy one?

My neighbor bought a used one, and we took a road trip with it from southern cal. ( Malibu area ) to healdsburg near Sonoma. It was very enjoyable and the supercharger stations were easy to use. If my trusty Honda Element died today, I’d consider getting one. He has the free charging option on his , it’s transferable. I think getting a used one is a smart option if it’s in good condition. You can see where the supercharger stations are in your local area without the Tesla app via google. We have a supercharger station one like an eighth of a mile away and there’s a nice coffee shop right next to it. So for him It’s perfect.

Tesla fan

I have been driving a Model S for nearly 7 years — 120k miles so far. Currently, all new model S’s and most used ones have free supercharging for life and charging at home is cheap. The only routine service is to replace wiper blades, wiper fluid, cabin air filters and occasionally tires. Tesla suggests a routine checkup only once every 2 years. I have been all over the western US from Southern Arizona to Northern Montana in summer and winter. We regularly drive to remote trailheads even on rough dirt roads. The more you drive this car the lower the cost of ownership. Battery degradation is trivial. There will likely soon be batteries which can be recharged for over 1,000,000 miles of use and range over 500 miles. ( currently max is 373 miles of range). In addition to the thousands of Tesla Superchargers covering all of North America there are thousands of other public charging stations and of course you can charge at home (cheaply) or ANYWHERE there is a 110 volt outlet. With the on board navigation computer advising when and where you can charge, “Range Anxiety” is really no issue. Also consider a model 3 (or soon a model y or a cybertruck). Safety: safest cars ever crash tested and loaded with crash avoidance tech. MUCH smaller lifetime carbon footprint than any internal combustion engine car. If you want to go by car Tesla’s are AMAZING and rapidly improving.

Funny how a dormant thread can resurface after more than 2 years without a post. Some forums won't allow it, others provide a warning that you're about to post on a thread that's been dormant for X period.

The OP moved on long ago...

Last edited:
Funny how a dormant thread can resurface after more than 2 years without a post. Some forums won't allow it, others provide a warning that you're about to post on a thread that's been dormant for X period.

The OP moved on long ago...
The OP should be back pretty soon now. He/she just stopped to charge his/her Tesla.

Many times EV owners write about how great these cars are. And that's fine if that's what they want/like. But I often wonder if they are trying to convince me, or themselves with their posts...

Last edited:
As I wrote earlier, I don’t own one and found they were pretty nifty after some extended evaluation of my neighbors model S. I was more skeptical previously.

Buy it

Most of the negative responses come from people that don’t own a Tesla. I own one and highly recommend buying one🙂

Tesla doesn't have anything special.

Except that they actually seem like cars from the future, they’re amazing to drive and even ride in. Detroit hasn’t got a clue and will never be competitive again.

What I don’t get is why you wouldn’t buy used? We started thinking about getting a Tesla this last vacation. A solid used S can be had for under $40k. I’ve owned a new BMW, owning a new car is a fabulous experience for the dealer, not the buyer. No need to be abused while watching my money depreciate like that again.

You have to own a Tesla to appreciate it. They are in a whole different class from ICE vehicles. People who are skeptical of them often know virtually nothing about them.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30361800/tesla-model-3-long-term-failure-stranded-while-parked/

I've researched Teslas and driven a Model S (fast, great tech but not comfortable and poor headroom for my 6'3" height). Despite having a 10 kw solar system that could charge it for free I have no interest (yet) in switching over from a Mercedes. Four of them in a row that have been problem free, never left me stranded and great for road trips without stopping for charging. Current ride has range over 600 miles per tank. Leaving tomorrow for a 22 hour drive over 2 days. Would not want to do that in a Tesla until the range improves and price comes down.

I know of a guy who bought a Model S just drive about the country and not have to pay for fuel. He's made several cross country trips, fueling his car at Superchargers all the way. Of course, that does limit where he can go, but he is a 'big city' kind of guy, He stays on the big Interstate highways and only visits places like Dallas, Atlanta, Baltimore, LA, Denver, Chicago, etc. If Tumbleweed OK does not have a Supercharger it's not a problem. He wouldn't be caught dead there.

You have to own a Tesla to appreciate it. They are in a whole different class from ICE vehicles. People who are skeptical of them often know virtually nothing about them.
Yes, Tesla owners are all much more enlightened people than the rest of us cretins. Fortunately there are no eco-chic Tesla buyers, like the ones that drive around with zero emissions stickers or plates. :cool:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we own an EV some day, but there are plenty of good reasons other cars are a better option for many people today.

Last edited:
My reasons for buying a Tesla:

1. I can refuel at home. Super easy and cheap (and clean). If you you have access to charging without contorting your life, it's great. An apartment or condo without a plug where you park (or at work) would be a little worse than getting gas, but many people do it.

2. It's a performance car, with good handling, that's really quiet. Plus instant pedal response and no downshifting. It's particularly good at positioning your car while merging. Punch it and go. We replaced a Porsche 911 and a Mini Cooper S and much prefer the Teslas. Test drive one.

3. Autopilot is fantastic for long trips. I'm a calmer driver with it and don't arrive exhausted after a day of driving. Firmware updates make it better every month or two.

4. We go on road trips using the Tesla Superchargers. Not as easy to do with other electrics. Yes, it can be a little slower, but for anyone who can slow down a bit it's a fun experience. Tesla cars are perfect for local trips and work fine for road trips. That allowed us to go all electric, two Teslas, instead of keeping a gas car around. This will get better for everyone as more fast charging stations are added. But so far only Tesla seems to get road trips.

Obviously with the current diversity in gas cars Teslas won't be everyone's ideal car. Hopefully we'll have more choice in the future.

And notice I didn't say anything about clean energy? It's a nice bonus, but wasn't a primary factor like the above reasons. Although ICE cars and gas stations now really stink.

Our Model 3 has lived up to all the hype.

When considering whether to get a new Leaf or a Tesla, I watched a video in which the owner of both said something like, "The Leaf is a good car, but the Tesla is a transportation device from the future."

You can't appreciate how true that is until you've experienced it.

I recently heard about the 'Tesla Effect' in regards to high performance luxury cars. Proponents of the TE believe that prices for other high performance used luxury vehicles are going down because owners of these vehicles are swapping them at higher than normal rates for a Model 3.

So, there may be a silver lining for the Tesla skeptics in the market for a [-]used[/-] pre-owned European luxury car.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...crushing-used-luxury-car-values/#3b5e2d6224e8

A recent article posted on the Capital One auto financing website suggests that skyrocketing sales of the Tesla Model 3 – which currently outsells all other electric cars combined – is adversely affecting the resale values of European-brand luxury cars. The trend has been dubbed the “Tesla Effect.”

Last edited:
Yes, BMW is clearly hurting. In 2018 they sold 76,000 3 Series cars, which would be the direct competitor to the Model 3. I haven’t seen 2019 number published yet but I’m expecting them to be less than 2018.

Tesla sold 300,000 Model 3’s in 2019, which blows away any other luxury brand. The distant second last year was a Lexus RX at 112,000 units.

"You've got a phone. I've got a phone. Why do I need email?"

That's what a bandmate said to me around the year 1999—get the point?

This is very true. It's hard not to sound like an evangelist, but after our first full day of errands and driving around, I'm still finding more amazing things to appreciate. My favorite feature is the autopilot. Most of the 30 miles from home to Eureka were spent with the car doing the driving. It was much more relaxing than usual—like being a passenger in a car with a very good driver. I'm even considering long road trips!

I've been binge-watching Tesla tips and tricks videos, and here's a video that sums up the features that make it so different from other cars:

I took my first call while driving, today. Lena was ahead of me in the Leaf, and wanted to know where I was. I had forgotten my regular glasses, and had to go back and get them.

It's of course hands-free, but I've always felt that even hands-free, talking on the phone is dangerous. But in this case, the car was driving. I still had my hands on the wheels and was paying attention, and I felt it was safe.

... It's of course hands-free, but I've always felt that even hands-free, talking on the phone is dangerous. But in this case, the car was driving. I still had my hands on the wheels and was paying attention, and I felt it was safe.

Glad that you are happy with your new car, enjoy!

But that last statement is what has me scared about these interim "self driving" capabilities. It sure sounds like you are being lulled into a (perhaps false) sense of security. How do you know "felt safe" equates with "is safe"?

-ERD50

If you ever want to know where your spouse is the app will show you the car’s location and driving speed. You can follow the car on google maps and know exactly what time you need to put dinner in the oven to have it ready when they come home.

Back
Top Bottom