Today was my last day

chemist

Recycles dryer sheets
Went in around 10 am and finished packing my stuff. Around 2 pm handed in my laptop computer to my boss's secretary and headed home.

Have planned a very active Aug/Sep/Oct so won't be bored. Had a great time in New Orleans playing bridge, eating at great restaurants, and went on the Katrina tour.

Lots of stuff to catch up on, COBRA elections, roll over 401(k) into IRA, get caught up on Quicken, set up home office.

Still feels almost surreal even though I have been planning to retire at 55 for 30 years.

Congratulations from another retired chemist.
Well I am still a contract worker down to 4 days a month due to SS restrictions.
I see you have planned well.
Old Mike

Attachments

• congratulations_cat.jpg
    congratulations_cat.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 353
Congratulations chemist! :D

I've been retired for 6 months and it is WONDERFUL!!

Today was my last day

Well....let's hope not! :eek:

;)

Congratulations.............:flowers:

Congrats! I dont want to hijack your thread, but whats the Katrina tour? I'm going to New Orleans next month and need a diversion from Bourbon St.

Congrats! I dont want to hijack your thread, but whats the Katrina tour? I'm going to New Orleans next month and need a diversion from Bourbon St.

No problem. It is run by Gray Line Bus, leaves every day at 1 pm from near the Jax Brewery. $35 and lasts 3 hours. It is very informative and moving. You can see that even 5 years after Katrina the devastation is still there. Our driver explained the shortcuts the army corp of engineers took in constructing the walls and how that let the storm surge in to the city. You see the new homes that Brad Pitt is building for the displaced people. Highly recommended.

Congratulations and welcome to "I now have a life".

Congratulations!!! Sounds like me. Seems surreal and plenty of stuff to keep busy with. One month in the surrealism is fading, but not completely gone. It's still always a nice feeling to realize that nagging little feeling I have something to do or someplace to go isn't real. Hope you have a blast!

No problem. It is run by Gray Line Bus, leaves every day at 1 pm from near the Jax Brewery. $35 and lasts 3 hours. It is very informative and moving. You can see that even 5 years after Katrina the devastation is still there. Our driver explained the shortcuts the army corp of engineers took in constructing the walls and how that let the storm surge in to the city. You see the new homes that Brad Pitt is building for the displaced people. Highly recommended.

I'm not sure I would pay any attention to some bus drivers opinion on what he considers shortcuts taken by engineers.

Congrats, I'm new here, but every "success story" is inspirational all on its own! :clap:

Thanks for opening up a job for a younger person. I hope your company will backfill.

Congratulations. After two years of FIRE, it still seems surreal sometimes. I'm adjusting well to six Saturdays and a Sunday.

Congrats, Chemist. And welcome to the club which will change your life for the better. :)

I recall my final days in 2008 getting all the post-retirement paperwork done. That included how to separately handle the different parts of my 401(k)/savings plan/ESOP with rather complex instructions, some of which I had to prepare days before my last day.

Once all the money soon arrived in different forms (rollover check, electronic transfers), I made a trip to my local Fidelity office to get my money working for me, instead of the other way around LOL!

I am glad to see you play bridge. I used to play it more back in the 1980s and 1990s but lost interest in playing it competitively, choosing Scrabble (see my username?) instead. But I still know how to play and reread several bridge puzzle books I bought back then and play on the computer once in a while.

Good for you Chemist. The beginning of the rest of MY life starts on December 1st this year. I am sure it will feel surreal for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom