Unplanned, Unavoidable Expenses this year

Well, a new expense just cropped up, one of those "set aside for in the future planned retirement expense". DH found a chunk of brick mortar from the chimney on the roof.
61 year old house, so not unexpected at some time. No leak in the chimney or roof, so plan to wait until spring and better weather to get it checked and estimate for repair or rebuild of chimney.

We all just got over a minor case of COVID--after receiving two vaccinations. We feel snake bit in 2021.
I'd love to trade with ya. :D 2nd half 2019 - 1st half 2020 was my snakebit year:

June19: brother got prostate-cancer diagnosis
July19: I got a prostate biopsy
Aug: *I* got a prostate cancer diagnosis
Sept: flipped my bike, cracked 5 ribs (really messed up my French vacation)
Nov: lymphoma diagnosis (exact same stuff that killed my dad)
Dec: several minor surgeries
Jan20: Surgery to treat prostate cancer
Feb: Torn rotator cuff
Mar: ...which mutated into a frozen shoulder joint
Apr: Oh and then there was this pandemic ... And with lymphoma I'm immune-challenged so I have basically no immunity and 50% survival rate if I catch it.

So I figured things had to get better from there. So far they have. Prostate cancer is treated and "cured." Brand-new drugs have put the lymphoma into remission, with basically zero side effects. So I hope things keep improving!

We use a sinking fund technique. All major expenses are budgeted for based on the life expectancy. Ie car 10 years. If it requires replacement prior to that then it would be inplaned, and unexpected, however, unless it happens in year 1 or 2, the fund has enough to cover.

I'd love to trade with ya. :D 2nd half 2019 - 1st half 2020 was my snakebit year:

Apr: Oh and then there was this pandemic ... And with lymphoma I'm immune-challenged so I have basically no immunity and 50% survival rate if I catch it.

So I figured things had to get better from there. So far they have. Prostate cancer is treated and "cured." Brand-new drugs have put the lymphoma into remission, with basically zero side effects. So I hope things keep improving!

Gary: Good to hear you have the bad stuff under control. And I thought I had a problem getting a hip replacement (piece of cake in comparison).

Here Too!

Most if mine was stuff that was going to be done, but timing changes costs.

$1200 for a set of tires at list for replacement while traveling. Should have done it 6 months earlier, but procrastinated. $400 extra for the delay.

Bath and tile work. Planed as minor, ended up as complete rework. $8,000.

Travel this year will run about 30k for three international trips. COVID tests. Argh! Egypt had to have a QR code for verification. FL governor has not allowed a state database so no QR code. $500 and a trip delay to get qualifying tests in Virginia. Tests really drive up travel costs. $50-100 per person on average for each leg. $$$. Friend just finished a trip. 17 tests in about three weeks.

No hurricanes, didn’t have to replace a car, heat pumps, roofs or repaint. But, there is always next year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Won the trifecta:
New tear off roof (not covered by insurance) (22 years old)
New Hvac (16 years old)
New water heater. (11 years old)
$17k All in the last 15 months. (Yeah, I did cheat a little on the timeline for this thread.....)

Yes, $115 k for new sports car for me, $35k for new daily driver for DW, some home repairs for $8k

We got hit by hail a few years back. Roof Cost = around $17,000. Insurance covered everything for our new roof.
Water Heater busted right after the roof = $1500 , but last year our neighbor said her Water Heater replacement was $2800-$2900. So, can't complain.
Just repainted our 17 year old deck this summer to protect from rot with a solid color, put some fillers on some spot, and it's still great .. resanded and repainted (cost $300, including rental from Home Depot for Wood Sander). Our neighbor with a newer deck had to replace everything ($15000+), because they did not protect their deck.

Attachments

• C8 Corvette pic 1 Aug 11-21.jpg
    C8 Corvette pic 1 Aug 11-21.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 69

Gosh, I am SO sorry to hear that Gary. I hope 2022 is a better year for you! You've got my vote for deserving an over-the-top incredible year ahead. Hang in there.

$8000 in unexpected expenses, but I do need to say that we have a 'whatever' fund that we set each year for just this type of stuff. If it doesn't go toward 'eh' stuff like it did this year, then we get to have fun at the end of the year deciding where to spend it.

-Medical deductible reached for the first time ever. No illnesses, just some pretty significant issues that needed to be addressed: a badly infected thumb, and a large benign cyst needing removal. $6000

-Pricey auto repair work on a 10 year old SUV. $2000

2021 C8 Corvette HTC

Beautiful car. Was never too impressed with past Vettes, but this current model is outstanding looking with exotic touches.

Anyone who has seen the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" knows that when it comes to sports cars, there literally is "nothing else you can do" but obtain it.

So this absolutely qualifies as an Unavoidable Expense.:cool:

Most if mine was stuff that was going to be done, but timing changes costs.

$1200 for a set of tires at list for replacement while traveling. Should have done it 6 months earlier, but procrastinated. $400 extra for the delay.

Bath and tile work. Planed as minor, ended up as complete rework. $8,000.
Need to do the first of these to my car before we travel too far away, though we can drive my wife's car in the meantime.

Had the exact same thing happen at our last house. Ours was a full bath renovation that ran nearly twice that.

Sweet! General Motors does do a few things right - :)

Yeah Iacocca did the Mustang (against Ford's opinion), but they could have kept the 2 seat T-Bird and had half that business.

Want a Corvette? Put your name on the waiting list - :)

Last edited:
Anyone who has seen the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" knows that when it comes to sports cars, there literally is "nothing else you can do" but obtain it.

So this absolutely qualifies as an Unavoidable Expense.:cool:

Exactly :LOL:

The plan was to buy a used one that was about 1.5 years old, but in these crazy times, used C8 Corvettes are going for $20k to $30k more than a new one

At some point we knew we were going to have to replace old carpet in the entire upstairs, and do some painting. Who thought putting off-white carpet under bathroom sinks and next to a jacuzzi tub was a good idea. DS thought it would be fun to watch a waterfall OUTSIDE the tub when he was 8. As a pediatrician, I caught a couple of GI bugs and once didn’t make it to the toilet. The stain never left the carpet despite cleaning.

Redoing all the flooring upstairs in a four bedroom house plus painting the hall our master bedroom will cost about $18K.

But it will feel like we moved. The flooring work starts tomorrow. We’re waiting to hear back from the painters for a date. They did a spectacular job downstairs, and I look forward to it all.

Attachments

• stang.jpg
    stang.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 43
Wow! This corvette belongs in the BTD thread. Really sharp looking!!

Sweet! General Motors does do a few things right - :)

Yeah Iacocca did the Mustang (against Ford's opinion), but they could have kept the 2 seat T-Bird and had half that business.

Want a Corvette? Put your name on the waiting list - :)

Yeah but the 2 seat T-Bird would have been a heck of a lot better than the Falcon/Mustang. Besides that Mustang and Corvette should never be mentioned together. But I digress.

2021 was a mixed bag.

As I recall:

Our 26 year old HVAC replaced for $8k - Planned
DS hit a deer and totaled is '08 Escape. We sold him our '16 Equinox.
Bought a new RAV4. Long story but it was a hassle since I didn't realize what Covid had done to car prices. Anyway our DS got a good deal. We're out $26K. - Not Planned

Coasting to the end of the year and DW enrolled in Medicare starting January 1st. Meanwhile she contracted a serious jaw infection which required IV antibotics. The bills not covered by our HDHP are now rolling in. But we're the lucky ones. After 10 years of HDHP, few expenses and max HSA contributions we're good.

I guess it all averages out.

Last edited:
Great thread. Lots of stories. Gosh, do folks just keep $100k around in cash for this stuff?

Back
Top Bottom