Unplanned, Unavoidable Expenses this year

It's a 1956 house and when they removed the 2 layers of comp shingles on top and the layer of original wood shingles, all that was left was narrow boards with spaces between them. So, no choice but to do plywood first. The roof was I think 24 squares. Hard to believe they built it that way, but from what I have seen it was typical back then.

I have a 100+ yr old summer house, it's roof is the board roof. Standard in the old days especially prior to plywood.
It has one advantage: Should a board rot, it means replacement of very little wood which is cheaper.

But it has a big disadvantage, it provides little diagonal stability to the roof, so the plywood replacement will make the roof and building stronger in terms of twisting.
There is also the issue of when nailing, one has to be very concious of the gaps between boards, not something a person with a power stapler/nailer wishes to do.

Had a windstorm like no others I've experienced in Hawaii Sunday afternoon. Probably 0-80 mph gusts. Lots of fallen trees that I will probably have to pay to have removed fairly quickly. That might not be super expensive though. But my catchment tank took a direct hit and is badly damaged. Plus, no power for 2+ days has me think a generator might be advisable - big enough to power the catchment system and house, about $5k. No decision yet though. Unusual event but very disruptive not to have power and water for days. Others may be used to such things every few years.

If you two are still healthy at 75, don't believe spending will be that much less.

Just one reason why I am not a fan of the Bernicke retirement spending model.

On the bright side, wouldn’t we all rather have these major, unexpected expenses happen when securities’ prices are so richly-valued?

The radiant barrier is what looks like a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom side of the plywood sheets. I think this may be required here, but not sure. It is supposed to provide insulation. Hard to say how well it works. I don't live in the attic. But it can't hurt. I should probably insulate the attic too.

At first glance, I can't see how this is a good idea. Wood needs to be able to breathe to prevent rot and mold. Even with a well ventilated attic, moisture can form just from daily temperature changes combined with ambient humidity. In addition, if there was a chance the wood would get slightly damp, it seems the seal created by the aluminum barrier would accelerate the degradation and rotting of the plywood.

Seems like a moderate risk and extra expense as compared to some relatively small benefit in insulating properties.

Last edited:
At first glance, I can't see how this is a good idea. Wood needs to be able to breathe to prevent rot and mold. Even with a well ventilated attic, moisture can form just from daily temperature changes combined with ambient humidity. In addition, if there was a chance the wood would get slightly damp, it seems the seal created by the aluminum barrier would accelerate the degradation and rotting of the plywood.

Seems like a moderate risk and extra expense as compared to some relatively small benefit in insulating properties.

I think some brands have perforations in the foil.

Still, I think I'm going to avoid this in the southeast. Just too much moisture here. For OP's Reseda residence, it likely makes more sense. It is a much milder, drier climate.

We had an All-Season year for unexpected expenses.

We started with Winter damage from the Texas Freeze, inflation caused prices to Spring up all over, more damage from a Summer storm and then medical bills from a Fall.

Sorry to make you read that.

$5,000 to have the concrete slab patio replaced and the porch foundation shored up. Old slab sank and rain run off was going under the porch and towards the house.
Can't say it was completely unplanned. Part expected upkeep.

We had an All-Season year for unexpected expenses.

We started with Winter damage from the Texas Freeze, inflation caused prices to Spring up all over, more damage from a Summer storm and then medical bills from a Fall.

Sorry to make you read that.

A tough year but you apparently weathered it OK.

Had a windstorm like no others I've experienced in Hawaii Sunday afternoon. Probably 0-80 mph gusts. Lots of fallen trees that I will probably have to pay to have removed fairly quickly. That might not be super expensive though. But my catchment tank took a direct hit and is badly damaged. Plus, no power for 2+ days has me think a generator might be advisable - big enough to power the catchment system and house, about $5k. No decision yet though. Unusual event but very disruptive not to have power and water for days. Others may be used to such things every few years.

Because it's such a rare event, at most I'd go with a large portable generator which would be ~$1K and the transfer switch on the fuse/breaker box.

I bought a generator many years ago after a rare power outage with heavy rains. It has sat in my garage unused for about 10 yrs now....
So glad I didn't get a whole house generator, which costs $10K plus few hundred per year, plus weekly starting.

Portable generators in California will be a no go starting 2028. Get 'em while you can. If I had to start a business in CA, it would be installing whole house generators. There is going to be a boom.

https://www.kcra.com/article/sale-p...tors-banned-2028-new-california-law/37954497#

Hopefully, generators installed before 2028 will be grandfathered in?

My BIL, who has retired from KPMG Peet Marwick has a side business now that he is retired. He was the Senior Tax Partner in the San Jose office for decades. His side business is guiding wealthy individuals and business owners out of California to tax friendlier states. He has more work than he can handle and charges $750/hour for his time.

Hopefully, generators installed before 2028 will be grandfathered in?

Yes. And any new stationary generators will be permitted if they follow emission rules. That's why I think whole house generator business will be good.

What is going away is the sale of portable equipment that is not zero emissions.

The thing is, it is hard to get a battery powered backup system that can last 2 days.

I'm overall not against lawn equipment going zero emission. I was doubtful to the idea, but I am now a convert. I gave away my gas mower, and I'm about to give away my blower. For a suburban homeowner, I find the battery equipment to work great. No more choking on fumes. They are much quieter. I have a Milwaukee blower, and it works great. I get 20 min out of a battery, which is usually enough. I have a backup battery if necessary.

I've been working outside and frankly, some of these mega-blowers are beyond obnoxious. My neighbor spent over 4 hours with his backpack blower going. I don't think the guy knows what a rake is. He was making sure every speck of everything was moved.

Another neighbor also spent 4 hours with their electric blower. The noise is tolerable in comparison.

Yes. And any new stationary generators will be permitted if they follow emission rules. That's why I think whole house generator business will be good.

What is going away is the sale of portable equipment that is not zero emissions.

The thing is, it is hard to get a battery powered backup system that can last 2 days.

I'm overall not against lawn equipment going zero emission. I was doubtful to the idea, but I am now a convert. I gave away my gas mower, and I'm about to give away my blower. For a suburban homeowner, I find the battery equipment to work great. No more choking on fumes. They are much quieter. I have a Milwaukee blower, and it works great. I get 20 min out of a battery, which is usually enough. I have a backup battery if necessary.

I've been working outside and frankly, some of these mega-blowers are beyond obnoxious. My neighbor spent over 4 hours with his backpack blower going. I don't think the guy knows what a rake is. He was making sure every speck of everything was moved.

Another neighbor also spent 4 hours with their electric blower. The noise is tolerable in comparison.

I would imagine the generator business will be big there given all the problems with fires up north. The 12 years I lived in Thousand Oaks, Ca, I don't recall ever losing power.

Here in Texas, the generator business is going gangbusters. There is a several month wait on house sized units @ $12 - $15 K installed.

I would imagine the generator business will be big there given all the problems with fires up north. The 12 years I lived in Thousand Oaks, Ca, I don't recall ever losing power.

Here in Texas, the generator business is going gangbusters. There is a several month wait on house sized units @ $12 - $15 K installed.

So, back to the topic of the thread: PLAN for whole house generator installation. Do it before you need it for an oxygen machine, just general comfort, etc.

A friend really relied on a portable generator during power interruptions for her oxygen machine. She had tanks, which held her over, until some of us friends on call could power up her generator.

So, back to the topic of the thread: PLAN for whole house generator installation. Do it before you need it for an oxygen machine, just general comfort, etc.

A friend really relied on a portable generator during power interruptions for her oxygen machine. She had tanks, which held her over, until some of us friends on call could power up her generator.

DW has a floor model oxygen machine (leased). Draws about 1200 watts. That's her 24/7 machine. We also have an Inogen 5 pound portable O2 machine that is lithium battery powered (we have 4 batteries) - my cost is $3 K for it. Back up to all of this is a "6 pack" of O2 bottles.

We have no whole house generator but have friends that do!

One unplanned expense we had earlier this year that I forgot to mention is that the portable Inogen unit started having operating issues and I bought a $925 unlimited service contract for it.

Lots of unexpected travel for DH when his brother passed. We bought his beater van from the estate - so that was an extra trip out to pick it up and drive it across country.

Older son's dental cleaning turned up some extra expenses in the form of an uninsured visit to an oral surgeon, to have him do nothing because the problem wasn't a root canal but instead a recurrence of Ameloblastoma. Since he works part time/school part time, we agreed to pick up his medical expenses. Fortunately, he'd switched to a silver plan with subsidies when he moved out - so the OOP hasn't been too bad (so far... bills still trickling in from his surgery.).

Buying the van wasn't planned - but it was a choice. And we've got about $4500 into it... but have already taken it camping 5 times and have trips planned in January and March.

Oh - and prepaid a big trip for next year (Galapagos/MachuPicchu)... but again, that was a choice. Wasn't budgeted for this year but pre-paying saved $1500...

I think some brands have perforations in the foil.

Still, I think I'm going to avoid this in the southeast. Just too much moisture here. For OP's Reseda residence, it likely makes more sense. It is a much milder, drier climate.

Yes on perforations in foil, and they installed several attic vents in the roof.

In our experience, since retiring ten years ago there is often an expected or unplanned capital item.

Could be home, car, medical...whatever.

We may like like it but we certainly expect it. Simply a bump in an otherwise smooth ride.

OTOH, we have saved a great deal of money over the past 18 months because of no travel-international or otherwise.

We are thankful that we have the resources to satisfy these unplanned items.

Last edited:
Portable generators in California will be a no go starting 2028. Get 'em while you can. If I had to start a business in CA, it would be installing whole house generators. There is going to be a boom.

https://www.kcra.com/article/sale-p...tors-banned-2028-new-california-law/37954497#

For an emergency portable generator, I'd want a propane powered one (or even dual fuel), as Propane doesn't go bad like gas.

Seems like CA will still allow the sale of propane powered generators.

Dental implant, totally unexpected, $4200

This one is part repair, part improvement but the tiles in my shower were coming loose and I figured there was water damage behind. I had the shower and tub replaced with a surround. $5400, but I am really happy with the result. And no more grout or caulk to deal with. :dance:

We’ve had a lot. The latest is a last minute trip for my mother for emergency surgery the week of Xmas. She has to travel to a dr halfway across the country and needs someone to fly and help. I upgraded our flights to make the trip easier on her, so $2500 in tickets. The non upgraded version would have been of far off. Guessing insurance won’t cover it.

Hot water heater went and we replaced with tankless. Major pool work when a palm tree started growing into the pool. Extra services for both of our kids, who need extra help. A few home services increased dramatically—it was time, but still $$.

Oh, I forgot about one thing - One of our cats had bladder blockage and had to be hospitalized overnight and treated with a catheter/IV and came home with three different medications. That cost us $1,200 CAD. He was taken in right away and was taken care of quickly. Not sure if we humans can get that kind of speedy treatment right now with the pandemic going on.

No "unplanned" or really surprising bigger ticket items... I'm still buying at least one new vehicle each year but after using an equivalent late model trade, it's not that much. Late last year we replaced the central AC. The old one was still working but getting troublesome... About 8k... Next year it will be a new roof probably about 10k... Medical is increasing every year and I expect that to continue as we age but we're not hitting the 3k OOP max's (Yet) :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom