Want2retire is retired!

Congratulations W2R!!!!! I am so happy for you :) Here's to more coffee and naps :)

Thank you, Citrine and Audrey!

Audrey, I just have to point out that this is my FIRST MONDAY since I retired. I absolutely love it - - today I went to the gym for a nice long workout, and then have been relaxing and enjoying life while my co-workers set their alarms early to struggle through traffic in order to get to work and hassle with office politics and stress.

Thank you, Citrine and Audrey!

Audrey, I just have to point out that this is my FIRST MONDAY since I retired. I absolutely love it - - today I went to the gym for a nice long workout, and then have been relaxing and enjoying life while my co-workers set their alarms early to struggle through traffic in order to get to work and hassle with office politics and stress.

you just had to rub it in didn't you...:angel:

...while my co-workers set their alarms early to struggle through traffic in order to get to work and hassle with office politics and stress.
Hey, a lot of us resemble that remark...:cool:

..... and then have been relaxing and enjoying life while my co-workers set their alarms early to struggle through traffic in order to get to work and hassle with office politics and stress.
I was terrible! I think for at least two years I would say "nyah, nyah, nyuh, nyah, nyah!" whenever I noticed the commuters madly rushing to work on weekday mornings.

What a great feeling - not having to commute to work in the morning!

Audrey

First snow this fall. Let the dogs back in after their morning whiz and decided not drive to the Mall(mall walking) and slept in til 10 am. Snow wasn't so bad so off to the doughnut shop.

Ya gotta learn to wing it and be agile, mobile and hostile in ER - not let any 'forced routine' get ya down.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: :greetings10:.

Just kidding.

heh heh heh - :cool:.

Just this morning, as we woke up gradually and stayed in bed, DW and were discussing how one can take for granted not having to have an alarm clock. We talked about how, when living in Oakland, we had to get up, get dressed, walk to the bus stop, take the bus into San Francisco, then walk to our jobs. Reverse process in the evening.

"We paid our dues," she said.

As for my napping so far, well, one day I took a nap for two hours in the middle of the afternoon.

Heh.....I can relate to this. Many a day on the old j*b at about 2PM I would dream of the day when I could just stretch out under a ceiling fan and take a snooze.
Now my afternoon nappy has become almost a ritual. :)

You seem to be making the transition in grand style. :flowers:

W2R....I have the part time work lifestyle and it is awesome.....no early alarm clock waking up for me either! It is easing the "pain" till I get to retire completely ;)

Many a day on the old j*b at about 2PM I would dream of the day when I could just stretch out under a ceiling fan and take a snooze.

But isn't this where we lose something in retirement? Yes, in retirement you can enjoy a leisurely two hour siesta, but can it really compare to the delicious guilty pleasure of putting your head down on that cold Formica desk and stealing 90 seconds of downtime from the borg before the phone rings again?

Yes, in retirement you can enjoy a leisurely two hour siesta, but can it really compare to the delicious guilty pleasure of putting your head down on that cold Formica desk and stealing 90 seconds of downtime from the borg before the phone rings again?

I know what the latter feels like (and a few other things I did in my old job after I handed in my notice) and I am very looking forward to finding out what the two hour afternoon siesta feels like after I retire.

This thread has motivated me to rework our retirement numbers and see if I can call it quits at the end of 2011 instead of 2013.

Traineeinvestor, I hope your numbers work out. In my case, even though I inherited a substantial sum in 2008 and became FI, I could not move up my ER date from what I had originally planned. This was because I had to wait for retirement eligibility so that I would have health care covered.

So far in retirement I have less desire to buy "toys" than I did while working. All I have managed to buy as a "Good for Me!" present so far, was a couple of pairs of slacks that I needed anyway. Still, so far the freedom of ER is much better than I ever dreamed.

I have been making efforts to develop a more active lifestyle than I have had for the past 44 years (since high school). It is so nice to be able to go to the gym, or go for a walk, any time I please. This alone has been a tremendous lift to my morale as I had been living an extremely sedentary life. I am hoping/planning to make physical activity of some kind a daily habit and enjoying the health benefits that I know this will bring to me.

Last edited:
But isn't this where we lose something in retirement? Yes, in retirement you can enjoy a leisurely two hour siesta, but can it really compare to the delicious guilty pleasure of putting your head down on that cold Formica desk and stealing 90 seconds of downtime from the borg before the phone rings again?

Umm....I'm afraid I didn't have the luxury of a cold Formica desk....or a chair to sit in. 2 PM usually found me standing in front of a pedestal fan blowing 100 degree air. My 'phone' was the sound penny sized chips of hot steel being flung from a solid bar spinning at 500 rpms.

I always got caught when I fell asleep at work. The keyboard imprints on my face would give me away. :D

Although many times I found myself nodding at work and had to get up and walk around to stay awake, I don't think that I ever actually fell asleep there. But oh, did I want to! :LOL: Almost every day I would come home from work and fall asleep for an hour shortly thereafter, in front of the evening news.

Umm....I'm afraid I didn't have the luxury of a cold Formica desk....or a chair to sit in. 2 PM usually found me standing in front of a pedestal fan blowing 100 degree air. My 'phone' was the sound penny sized chips of hot steel being flung from a solid bar spinning at 500 rpms.
Well now...it seems to me you are a man of FIRE in more ways than one.....:cool:

I always got caught when I fell asleep at work. The keyboard imprints on my face would give me away. :D

WhereI w*rk, if you accidentally fall asleep for a minute it's a class II violation. Three of those and you're out the door. If you intentionally go to sleep(sound asleep) and you get caught it's automatic termination.

I too would consider it a luxury to have a cold formica desk and a chair to sit in. I do manual labor for 12 hours walking and standing on cement. I'd give $10K/yr from my paycheck to have a chair to sit in.

WhereI w*rk, if you accidentally fall asleep for a minute it's a class II violation. Three of those and you're out the door. If you intentionally go to sleep(sound asleep) and you get caught it's automatic termination.

I suspect they didn't keep you in the office for 16-36 hours at a time, then. Work all night, snooze in the office during the day while the conference call was on mute. I was pretty good about waking up when I heard my name and faking sounding alert. Then again, nobody died if I was asleep at the desk for a little bit.

Yowza W2R. I'm amazed at how many folks here responded to your retirement post! Just goes to show you how fond we are of you.

Hope you are adjusting, chilling, and taking time to smell the roses:flowers:

Yowza W2R. I'm amazed at how many folks here responded to your retirement post! Just goes to show you how fond we are of you.

Hope you are adjusting, chilling, and taking time to smell the roses:flowers:

Thank you! Yes, I am amazed too at how many people have posted their congratulations and best wishes. I am having a wonderful day of retirement today. I slept in until 9 AM, drank my morning coffee, and then Frank took me out to lunch at a Chinese place. That was fun, though all I wanted was some egg drop soup (guess I wasn't entirely awake). After he went to work, I went to the gym and worked out for 75 minutes which felt GREAT. I met and spent a few more minutes talking to a very elderly Chinese woman, Mae, who is recovering from a bad fall. She didn't know how to work any of the machines and was feeling distressed about that, and the staff was too busy to help her at that time. So, I showed her how to work the exercycle (her choice), and a couple of other machines, doing my "good deed for the day", so to speak. Came home, had a big dinner, and I am feeling lazy. I am not only taking time to smell the roses, I feel like I am languishing in a sea of roses at the moment... :D:D:D

Came home, had a big dinner, and I am feeling lazy. I am not only taking time to smell the roses, I feel like I am languishing in a sea of roses at the moment... :D:D:D

Well W2R.....good for you. You seem to have transitioned right into retirement.

Poundkey, you don't miss running those lathes ? CNC machines ? Drill presses. I did notice you were a machinist. I worked as a self-employed truck mechanic in my other life. That was 13 years ago. I now work in a totally different job. Of all things I cross trained into a golf course superintendent. Big change. Retirement is right around the corner for me. I turn 63 soon so it will not be long and I will start another venture in life. oldtrig

Back
Top Bottom