what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too cold to go out (high of -10F) so spent the day doing laundry and working on repairing an old console radio.

We were awakened at 4 AM by the unholy racket of a gecko falling off the ceiling into a wastebasket that had a plastic-bag liner. I'm glad it was too dark to see how big he was but he practically kicked over the wastebasket as he was getting out. He sounded like Godzilla wading through the center of town.

Our 10-year-old bunny is doing fine on his diuretic (no more cardiac coughing) but he's apparently decided to get cracking on his bucket list. Over the last couple weeks when I go out onto the back lanai to make a cup of early-morning coffee, he follows me out. He's not very subtle about it, either-- nose pressed against the screen, scrambling around my ankles when I open the door, and glancing backward to see if he's in trouble as he scampers across the patio. So I spend 10-15 minutes barefoot in the freezing-cold (well, sub-70s) temperatures trying to keep him close to the lanai and watching him explore a new environment and sample all the yummy greenery. I'm eventually able to persuade him to return back indoors, but on the next cup of coffee the cycle restarts anew. I can only imagine what's going to happen if a neighborhood cat patrols by as our bunny is exploring out there.

Had a wonderful afternoon at the home show. Every photovoltaic contractor in town seemed to show up, and the PV technology is following Moore's law quite nicely in both power ratings and in pricing. We saw several nice pergolas for when we decide to set up more shade along the south side of the house. We'd planned to roof that pergola with PV panels (to have extra generation capacity for a used electric vehicle that we'll buy in the next five years or so) but it might be cheaper to just replace our existing panels with new panels that generate 3x power in the same surface area. They're almost at that point.

We found a contractor who's willing to take a look at a minor concrete lanai problem in our rental home, and another contractor who's willing to help us think through the options for our home's familyroom rehab. The home show was much more crowded than 2008-2010, so the local economy seems to be on the mend.

Everyone seemed to be wearing their Pro Bowl jerseys today...

Ran some errands (along with everyone else in town) (ice forecast for Tuesday).
Started getting financial stuff rounded up for taxes.
Am considering maxing out HSA for '10.
Might be getting major refund with all deductible donations this year.

Showed an apartment to a prospective tenant yesterday. Turned out to be a bust as she is a smoker and it's a non-smoking unit. Aaah well.

Today - big chunks of Sicilian jack cheese, bottles of Sierra Nevada Autumn Brown Ale, and new episodes of QI and Top Gear on the BBC iPlayer to watch with the SO.

Life is good today!

This week I started to plan the construction of a small free clinic in Guatemala. It will be operational later this year (hopefully).

Some friends brought me on a local hiking trail just above the city. It's the El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area. It's a hidden gem. It's beautiful this time of year when the grass is green in California.

Attachments

• EC-Hills-5.jpg
    EC-Hills-5.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 4
  • EC-Hills-7.jpg
    EC-Hills-7.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 3
  • EC-Hills-8.jpg
    EC-Hills-8.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 3
Some friends brought me on a local hiking trail just above the city. It's the El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area. It's a hidden gem. It's beautiful this time of year when the grass is green in California.

Sigh.:(

This is the view from the deck on the back a few minutes ago and the forecast is even worse.

Attachments

• Creek out back 002.jpg
    Creek out back 002.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Creek out back 003.jpg
    Creek out back 003.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Creek out back 004.jpg
    Creek out back 004.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 3
We're thinking about Berkeley Springs as a potential site for a home if we ever decide to leave the beach and move closer to the family. You aren't helping. :LOL:

We're thinking about Berkeley Springs as a potential site for a home if we ever decide to leave the beach and move closer to the family. You aren't helping. :LOL:

Other than the months of January, February and perhaps early March, we love the area. So with cold weather like this we just hunker down into "hibernation mode" and wait for Spring.

Berkeley Springs is a gorgeous area but traffic on Rt. 522 can be a bit of a pain since it's a tourist area too. But a motorcycle ride westbound there on Rt 9 and beyond is good way to spend a day.

Ran some errands as next two days are forecast to be various forms of ice (maybe some snow also).

Considering (read: arguing w/hubby) purchasing a rental property. Does not sound appealing to me.

Considering (read: arguing w/hubby) purchasing a rental property. Does not sound appealing to me.

Girl, stand your ground! It is w*rk in the worst form. We're selling all three of our properties this year to get rid of this constant headache...:nonono:

YMMV

Thanks for the green. Gives us some hope for spring! We're like Walt:

IMG_4488.jpg
[/IMG]

Time to post this song again.

YouTube - California Dreamin' - The Mamas And The Papas - Hullabaloo, March 14, 1966

But as martyb noted, is California always that green?

I remember one year in the earlier 80s, we were on a road trip to Seattle, and of course also visited SF as it was on the way. But we wanted to spend the night in San Jose, hence did not continue on Freeway 5 that would have taken us to SF via Oakland. At Merced, we took 152, then 101 north to San Jose. The scenery was beautiful, with green rolling hills, and cows grazing. It was so peaceful and romantic, for a city dweller like me.

A few years later, we took the same road again. This time, CA was in a drought, and it was also in late summer. I could not believe it. Where were the green fields that we saw? Everything was brown. The reservoir we passed by and could see from the highway had low water level, exposing its ugly bank with debris. I checked and checked my map to see if I had made a mistake.

It was sad, and reminded me of this song.

YouTube - green fields - the brothers four

Today I had my Happy Hour party . It was a great success . We sipped wine and munched on appetizers overlooking the river on a perfect night . Lots of laughs so I think everybody had a great time and the best part no clean up .:)

Today is definitely a stick close to home day.
Mr B needs to go help with a newsletter in the early PM, so he is taking the 4WD Jeep just in case that weather system :blink: arrives sooner than expected.
I'm hunkering down here and plan to start entering data for my taxes to kill time.
I got my bone density results and was told to start increasing my calcium intake through diet. No significant bone loss, but enough so supplements may be in order if diet changes do not w*rk out.
I have a container of Ricotta cheese that needs to be used before Feb 12, so Plan B could be making cheese blintzes from scratch.
Hmmm...tough choice...taxes or cooking? :whistle:

But as martyb noted, is California always that green?

CA is definitely not always green. Winter is the rainy season. Summer is the dry season. In summer every blade of grass dies and the hills take on a different beauty. Another reason to call it the "Golden State". The type of hillside grass we have here will go to seed and die even if we have late rains into June.

rentals are great if you don't mind staying home and being on call all the time.... cell phone service + extensive phonebook of drain cleaners,plumbers, carpenters,electricians etc + perfect cell coverage + mototaxi and you will be just fine

I live just a few miles from you martyp. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get out of the house a bit! I'm thinking of a trip to the top of Vollmer Peak in Tilden Park - great view from there. I'll have to try out your suggestion too.

It's the highest point in the hills above Berkeley. The view over the Bay Area from there is fabulous. You'll love it!

The view from Mt. Diablo is, also, quite nice. Plenty of hiking to be done there, too.

I didn't make it to the mailbox because of the %^&* ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom