what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first time, DW decided she wanted to try using the snow thrower This is her starting on the neighbor's driveway.

It was hard writing the check for that machine but when we have a heavy wet snow like this one I's sure glad I spent the money!

Just remember, you are still a newbie until you blow the first frozen newspaper. :D

For the first time, DW decided she wanted to try using the snow thrower This is her starting on the neighbor's driveway.

It was hard writing the check for that machine but when we have a heavy wet snow like this one I's sure glad I spent the money!

We have it too easy in California weather-wise Walt. I remember shoveling snow when I lived in Reno and it was great fun - a fabulous workout!

I remember shoveling snow when I lived in Reno and it was great fun - a fabulous workout!
I think I'll stick with surfing.

One of the reasons I joined the Navy was having to shovel a record series of Pittsburgh snowfalls in the winter of 1977-78...

... so far so good.

Time for something newer and maybe a little different. I'm thinking of a 5th wheel and maybe a new truck.:D

No way are we giving up RVing.
Heh heh heh... Market going up, more people spending money... I like it.

I still do not have much RV experience, but I like the set up of a motor home pulling a toad. It's great to have the smaller vehicle for excursions. And having two motorized vehicles means that one can always drive off to get help if there is a mechanical problem.

Today is very relaxed...:D

I need to make up a poster advertising a Pizza Night that Mr B and I will be the cooks for on Feb 12. It was his idea to do a small fundraiser for the Legion Auxiliary. The Aux President is thrilled that we are willing to do this.
All of the ingredients have been identified and are on order. We have a 3rd volunteer to handle money and slice serving duties.
I will be the pizza sauce and cheese tossing girl while he [-]wrassles with airborne dough and flour[/-] does the dough rolling and timing of the pie prep and cooking.
This will be FUN! :LOL: I will try to take a few pics.

I finally got my 1099Rs, so I may take a stab at starting my taxes. :whistle:

Yesterday I made 18 pint jars of Sour cherry jam to go with the black current I made last week. Between lots and in spare time I decided to work on my computer. I have a Dell with dual Xeon processors and two gig of ram with raid scsi drives and when running linux (dual boot with XP) after doing the last update anything using flash player was a little flaky. I have a second machine with Intel dual core @3.4 with sata raid and 3 gig of ram and decided to duplicate my linux on that machine as I wanted to see which was actually faster. Install and setup went well except when I ran anything using flash nothing happened. aaarrrggghh. Reinstalled adobe flash same. Changed flash versions same. Dug deep onto things that I really did not want to know. 1:15 this morning went to bed. Very tired and suffering from computer brain fog. At 7:00 AM with oat meal, fruit and toast and fresh cherry jam sat down at the PC. Dug way deep and finally about 8:30 removed gnash flash player. All works fine. Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh. So simple. :banghead:
Went out and moved snow, visited friends, stocked up on diesel, gas, chicken feed and dog food as next week is supposed to be a lousy week weather wise.:hide: Hope storm goes south of me. Sorry if that means you but...
Now to install a second sata drive and see if they will raid. New ubuntu is too much like windows.:crazy: I think I need wine and a nap first.

I did my taxes today . I am always a little nervous before I do them but it went smoothly . I am pleasantly surprised how little taxes I pay in retirement . Of course that will change when I start taping my IRA .The other thing that surprises me is how my medical adds up . Just my regular meds ,insurance premiums(even with the government paying a large chunk ) ,co-pays and I did have a minor surgery I ended up with a fair amount to deduct.I am getting a refund so it lessens the pain of doing taxes .

The young wife and I made 8 lbs of hot Italian sausage in the morning, then went to the movies to see The Kings Speech in the afternoon.

I learned that of the 1 million known species of insects some 400,000 are beetles.

I also learned that I can't pronounce Whataburger.

Mostly wasted time. Tried for the first time scanning photos. This is the first attempt. Obviously need more practice and skill.

Anyhoo, here is Captain ls99 in 1984 or so.
Me1984boat.jpg

Today...Part II

I had a calendar reminder set to revisit my cell phone plan. Mr B has his own cell contract, expiring on May 31st. My contract expires Jan 30, 2011. Please note that fact. ;)
We foolishly assumed (of the *SS of U and ME variety) that he faced a termination fee if we added him to my contract. WRONG!
I initially called the provider to reduce my own individual plan cost. Then I posed the question of what would happen if I added him to my account today, the day before my contract expired. Snicker....
Then I handed the phone to him. He ran circles around the rep. :LOL:
Net result? I reduced my individual cell plan to less minutes, reduced my text/message limit, and then added him as line number 2 by converting to a family plan, same minutes (now shared) plus text for just me. He does not text at all. His usual habit is 5 minutes or less on the cell.
Net savings? The $49 per month fee for his separate bare bones account disappeared, with no termination fee. I reduced my monthly fee by $25, and then incurred an additional $10 for the 2nd line (his same number) with no frills by simply assuming the liability for his cell.
My calculator tells me we jointly saved -(49+25) + 10 = $64 per month today. :D

Never try to outsmart an accountant and an engineer in the same room on speakerphone. :cool:

Showed an apartment to a prospective tenant this morning. Complete waste of time as she revealed that she is a smoker and it's a non-smoking unit.

SO came over. We ate cheese, drank wine and watched the new episode of QI on the BBC iPlayer. For anyone who likes general knowledge panel games, I recommend this one highly. Stephen Fry is the host and does a fantastic job.

I think we're about to have some more cheese and wine.

Mostly wasted time. Tried for the first time scanning photos. This is the first attempt. Obviously need more practice and skill.

Anyhoo, here is Captain ls99 in 1984 or so.
View attachment 11097

:confused: From your past posts, I expect you to have dark hair, along with other features. Did I misread or misunderstand something?

I spent the afternoon at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - BBQ Cookoff & Concert where my son-in-law's bbq team was one of more than 260 teams entered in the charity cookoff. He just called to inform us his team placed second in ribs and ninth in brisket. Oh, and the team that won first place in beans used his seasoning as their secret ingredient!

He was more than a little excited... :)

:confused: From your past posts, I expect you to have dark hair, along with other features. Did I misread or misunderstand something?

A few generations and some Sicilian, Slovak mix later the features are more central European. I still like to put on surveys: Hun. Messes them up pretty good.

Make a great Mutt.:D

I spent the afternoon at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - BBQ Cookoff & Concert where my son-in-law's bbq team was one of more than 260 teams entered in the charity cookoff. He just called to inform us his team placed second in ribs and ninth in brisket. Oh, and the team that won first place in beans used his seasoning as their secret ingredient!

He was more than a little excited... :)

260 teams making tasty BBQ? Sounds like a great place to be a spectator!

Congratulations to your son.

Lena ran in an organized 5.75 mile race despite having a bad cold, and came in second out of 29 in her age group!

260 teams making tasty BBQ? Sounds like a great place to be a spectator!
When the weather is nice as it was yesterday, it is indeed. Here is a map of the contest area (Sea World parking lot) showing all the team locations: http://www.sarodeo.com/client/media/2112/5194/new_2011allsite.pdf

The lot is half a mile wide and there were teams lining both sides of the walkways for a total of three miles. Most were giving out free samples - they don't sell any of their "products".

A real carnivore's paradise...

I'd eat way too much in the way of ribs and pulled pork. May have to add to my bucket list. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom