what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On rentals, it really depends on how you set things up. I have 3 rentals in and around Grand Rapids, MI, bought new 6 years ago in the $150K-200K range; hired an experienced person whose family has been managing rentals for a generation, pay about 8% of the rental income as management fee....Have had one tenant for more than 5 years, one for 2 and the other for 2; never, ever have panic calls. New homes mean fewer issues and higher priced rentals mean good tenants with proper screening. They take care of the homes as well as I would, especially the lawns...and they pay utilities.
So, it all depends.

Endured 5 hours of conference calls and tried not to contemplate suicide (death by chocolate) or carving my latest torturer's initials into a 12 gauge slug. One more day of this crap and I am Puerto Rico bound. I might even come back when I am supposed to if I succeed in forgetting about all the chickensh!t for long enough.

I didn't make it to the mailbox because of the %^&* ice.
A quick remedy until it melts...make a homemade spreader per directions at How to Make a Cheap Grass Seed Spreader | eHow.com
There are 2 different container formulas at that site.
Fill with rock salt (you do have some on hand I hope) or if not, use cat litter to create some traction on the ice. Apply heavily only where you need to walk. Please be careful!
Look online for a handheld grass seed spreader and buy more rock salt when it is safe to drive on the roads. The grass seed spreader w*rks perfectly with rock salt.
Example here
Scotts Lawns #71030 Easy Hand Held Spreader: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag
You can partially fill it to accomodate your hand issues. BTDT :)

use cat litter to create some traction on the ice.
Be careful with the cat litter, a lot of it is a dried clay product and will work fine on ice until the ice begins to melt. When the clay gets wet it can become just as slippery as ice.

Endured 5 hours of conference calls and tried not to contemplate suicide (death by chocolate) or carving my latest torturer's initials into a 12 gauge slug. One more day of this crap and I am Puerto Rico bound. I might even come back when I am supposed to if I succeed in forgetting about all the chickensh!t for long enough.
Yeah, when the time comes you're going to be the poster child for "World's Fastest Trouble-Free Transition to ER"...

Yeah, when the time comes you're going to be the poster child for "World's Fastest Trouble-Free Transition to ER"...

Hell, if I spoke Spanish and had half a brain I would have sunk everything I had into Vieques property when I forst went there in 2000. *Sigh*

I went to a Univ. of California Boalt Law school Moot Court competition tonight. The judges were: Justice Sonia Sotomayor, a judge from the CA Supreme Court, and a judge from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. It could have been boring and incomprehensible to a non-lawyer but it was actually fascinating.

Tuesday the highlight of the day was cleaning the freezer and getting ready for storm. Wednesday Storm and clean up. Today find out why the blower motor in the explorer does not work. Way too cold for no heater.

Be careful with the cat litter, a lot of it is a dried clay product and will work fine on ice until the ice begins to melt. When the clay gets wet it can become just as slippery as ice.
Ah, VERY GOOD point. :blush:
How about some sandblasting type sand, also available at hardware stores? Most will deliver.

Once again I am faced with the dilemma...do taxes or goof off? :blush:

I will try to exhibit some discipline and tally up my Rx and co-pay receipts. Mr B does a tax return all in one fell swoop and can't understand why I do my data entry in a piecemeal fashion. If I continue to procrastinate, perhaps it will move him to say "Just give me the *#!@ folder and I will do them for you." Anyone wanna wager on that outcome? :ROFLMAO:

Sun is shining, always a welcome sight in 20F temps. :D

It's only been two and a half days of this icy mess, but I'm already getting cabin fever. :dead:

So I've been cooking like a wild woman. Tonight's fare is roasted turkey, cornbread stuffing and a sour cream/cheese potato casserole.

Look What Showed Uo in My Window Ledge Today

This Owl was on my window ledge about an hour ago. He was sleeping but woke up when I got too close and eventually flew into my lean to.

Attachments

• DSCF0028.jpg
    DSCF0028.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0030.jpg
    DSCF0030.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 3
Actually went out, as the ice is melting.
Ohio is no longer closed.

This Owl was on my window ledge about an hour ago. He was sleeping but woke up when I got too close and eventually flew into my lean to.

Great photos, thanks! He really matches the color of the wood.

My daughter would absolutely stroke out if that happened here. She's nuts about owls.

I keep getting these reminders that there are things to read on "what did you do today". Was going to unsubscribe but just took a peek. Found it quite amusing to read about all the things people did -- like struggling to take down the Christmas tree :LOL:. That really puts retired life in perspective.

DW found out that her paintings (of small creatures like rabbits up to cows and horses) at a local gallery are really selling great -- seems to coincide with the stock market doing better. She's been selling regularly but recently things have gotten better -- perhaps a coincident indicator? She's now the bread winner with her modest art income + SS. I'm enjoying being a retired former bread winner. Art doesn't buy much bread though.

The pest control guy came to inspect under the house and found no damage that could have let in a skunk. So the repairs to the crawl space are working and those occasional skunk smells might just be the critters stinking up the place at night -- perhaps under our deck. I think this is skunk mating season. Country living is fun.

Great photos, thanks! He really matches the color of the wood.

Thanks Does anyone know what kind of owl this is? My friend thinks it is a great horned owl but is not sure. Some pictures on the bird sites are close but not all.

Just went to the grocery store with DW, who was so bored and has cabin fever she went too. Stopped by a bookstore to get a couple of photography magazines to see if I want to subscribe to them, and one had a review of the Nikon D7000, which is on my "I wanna..." list. Maybe in the fall I'll actually buy one.

DW bought a couple of movies, one for $5, that she likes and has been camped in front of the TV with those. We're just waiting for the weather to get to a more civilized temperature.

Thanks Does anyone know what kind of owl this is? My friend thinks it is a great horned owl but is not sure. Some pictures on the bird sites are close but not all.

Looks like an eastern screech owl to me. You are in Ontario, yes?

Here's a picture of an Eastern Screech Owl:

eastern_screech_owl_1.jpg

Wow! I am so jealous! I braved icy sidewalks and went to WORK today! Eating lunch at my desk so I read some postings in this Forum. I will have to work all weekend as well. I am "salaried/management" so Saturday and Sunday hours do not mean any overtime pay either. The upside is I have a job! Can't wait to FIRE like most of you. I do enjoy reading about your leisurely days and do live vicariously through your experiences. Thank you for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom