what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for laughs, I decided to sell an old VW oil temperature gauge that I have had knocking around for 30 years. I listed it on EBay for 99 cents and just sold it for $150. Wow!

Now I'm wondering what other junk I might have that I can turn into cash. ^-^

Did my taxes yesterday, still on cloud 9

Okay, I did this last night be finished after midnight.

I finished my taxes, and after a lifetime of feeling like I lost a pound of flesh, my return this year is a big fat ZERO !!!!!!

So happy.

Yeah, ebay is fun.

Sometimes deadly. I buy cameras, use them, get tired of them, and resell them. Don't make money, but I treat it as "rental".

Vick

Just for laughs, I decided to sell an old VW oil temperature gauge that I have had knocking around for 30 years. I listed it on EBay for 99 cents and just sold it for $150. Wow!

Now I'm wondering what other junk I might have that I can turn into cash. ^-^

I raced karts at the local arrive-and-drive track here in Boston (MA). The oldest (60) of the group of hard-core racers I race with, I feel good that I can still compete with these guys. It's a great work out and, of course, socializing over a couple beers after racing is fun as well. Oh yeah, we did 4, 15 lap races.

Visited Mom this morning at the nursing home. She is actually doing pretty good considering age, injury and all. Voice is back strong and not hurting as much. I left as they took her off to rehab. Took the mutt on a 5 mile walk at our favorite hiking trail and now back home for some lunch. Picked up a plate of fried chicken, corn and green beans. Pretty good too.;)

Visited Mom this morning at the nursing home. She is actually doing pretty good considering age, injury and all. Voice is back strong and not hurting as much. I left as they took her off to rehab. Took the mutt on a 5 mile walk at our favorite hiking trail and now back home for some lunch. Picked up a plate of fried chicken, corn and green beans. Pretty good too.;)

Wonderful! I am glad to hear that your Mom is doing so well at this stage.

Sounds like a nice morning with the 5 mile walk-with-mutt and yummy lunch.

Loaded up another week of blog posts. No shortage of material, but it's a challenge to organize and then write it up in 1000 words or less.

I think I finally have the last tax form I need to finish off our federal/state returns. The extensions went in three weeks ago so there's no rush.

Finished getting my Dad set up on EFTPS to pay his estimated federal taxes, and then scheduled the 2011 estimated payments. Now all I have to do is remember to keep enough in the checking account to handle those EFTs. Scanned & filed a bunch of his paperwork and copied some more to mail to my brother. The hospital finally mailed out their copy of Dad's records from the emergency room through discharge, and it's just as scary in black & white as it was talking to the surgeon.

But it wasn't all work... today I started shopping Craigslist for a 10'0" longboard. I'll probably go buying tomorrow or Wednesday.

Fried a couple of eggs for my lunch today. In the middle of said frying, the top of my pepper grinder came off and hundreds of pepper 'bits' flew in every direction. Today was the first time I had to clean my cooktop with the vacuum cleaner. :blink:

Took care of a few chores then sat on the patio and watched the birds. A huge blackbird came to my waterfall, took a drink of water, decided to get a bit closer and slid in. The waterfall pond is not very deep, but it startled the bird...until he knew he was safe. He jumped in and out of it several times...obviously he enjoyed the swirling water.

Watched my kitty chase a butterfly.

It doesn't take much to entertain me. :)

Watching kitties do almost anything is very entertaining. I know I get hours of fun just watching and playing with mine.

We have two kitties and a good time is had by all when I get out my laser pointer.

Met some ex coworkers at happy hour tonight. About fifteen minutes into the conversation my eyes started to glaze over as they talked about work. After a while they talked about the possibility of retirement. One guy says he has a friend that cruises on his yacht six months out of the year...now THAT is what he calls retirement.

Pfffffftttttttt....:rolleyes:

:LOL:

Met some ex coworkers at happy hour tonight. About fifteen minutes into the conversation my eyes started to glaze over as they talked about work. After a while they talked about the possibility of retirement. One guy says he has a friend that cruises on his yacht six months out of the year...now THAT is what he calls retirement.
And yet one of the reasons people hesitate to retire is their fear of losing touch with their co-workers...

Went to the local "big box" home improvement center to buy HP filters. I only do this every two years (I buy, by the case) so this is a "highlight" of retirement :cool: ...

Today was my "dinner and a movie" day. Actually lunch and a movie, but, you get the idea.

My lunch was with at an army mess hall with several soldiers preparing to go back to Afghanistan for the third time. Those guys are ready.

I had baked chicken, rice, broccoli, salad bar, pecan pie and tea. Noticed new items on the salad bar (i.e. fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries, mixed nuts, Mandarin oranges.) This new items seems must be part of the army's effort to feed our soldiers like they feed elite athletes (the more "color" on your plate the better). Seems to be working as I see very few overweight soldiers these days.

After eating with the guys I sped to the Cinemark to grab the matinee movie "The Adjustment Bureau" (see attachment). I was expecting a who-done-it/sci-fi but got more of a love story. Other may disagree. I give it a B+.

My cost~ Lunch $4, Movie $1, gas to get to movie and back (@$3.67/gal) $2. Total cost: $7.00. LBYM indeed.:greetings10:

Farmers' market.
Bought some naan, how do I eat it?
Laundry. dishes.
Next week will be asparagus time.

I mowed the lawn and sprinkled weed and feed around. I don't believe in fertilizer or weed killer so I'm not that pleased with myself. I felt better about the ant killer-cuz they were invading everywhere.

Farmers' market.
Bought some naan, how do I eat it?
Laundry. dishes.
Next week will be asparagus time.

(re naan) i usually stick them in the toaster oven or
heat them up in cast hot iron pan with a little bit of oil and
optionally garlic. along with some hummus or something similar..

(re naan) i usually stick them in the toaster oven or
heat them up in cast hot iron pan with a little bit of oil and
optionally garlic. along with some hummus or something similar..

How is naan with a bit of cheese?

Should have posted this on Monday.......gave my 2 weeks notice so my last day at big defense contractor is April 29th.

After living at least an airplane flight away (sometimes 2) for the last 30 years, my 76 year old mother (heavy smoker for 60? years so add 10 years to her age) now lives 200 paces away in my apartment complex. Even thought she is in my backyard, the job did not make it easy to spend time with her every day. Don't know if I'm done for good (Firecalc says yes) but I'm done for now.

Should have posted this on Monday.......gave my 2 weeks notice so my last day at big defense contractor is April 29th.

After living at least an airplane flight away (sometimes 2) for the last 30 years, my 76 year old mother (heavy smoker for 60? years so add 10 years to her age) now lives 200 paces away in my apartment complex. Even thought she is in my backyard, the job did not make it easy to spend time with her every day. Don't know if I'm done for good (Firecalc says yes) but I'm done for now.

Based on what I read between the lines, I'm not sure the usual "Congratulations!" are in order. You sound less than excited about your pending freedom from the workplace.

Buckeye, I too read an implication that maybe your mother is not doing so well, and if so I am sorry to hear that. In any case, I am glad that you will be able to spend more time with her at this time in her life.

How is naan with a bit of cheese?

yep , cheese works. you can oast/melt it on top , or do the ploughman's lunch
routine with it. naan, some hunks of cheese , cherry tomatoes, and
some pickled items

Based on what I read between the lines, I'm not sure the usual "Congratulations!" are in order. You sound less than excited about your pending freedom from the workplace.

I am VERY excited about leaving this particular j*b and I am VERY excited about not having any j*b for now. I am tentative about making the commitment I won't be going back to w*rk for good. The thought of living off savings versus a paycheck is still a bit nerve wracking.

I was out of work for 8 months prior to taking this current j*b 14 months ago and loved it but $2,000 per month in unemployment from OH took the edge off. For now and probably the next 8 years until DH reaches 70, it's just our resources. I'm both happy and terrified!

Buckeye, I too read an implication that maybe your mother is not doing so well, and if so I am sorry to hear that. In any case, I am glad that you will be able to spend more time with her at this time in her life.

No, no. Everthing is great! She's doing just fine which is why I am making this move now. I didn't want to wait until she had some sort of health issue. She is 76 and a heavy smoker which makes her older than her years. That pushed my decision to act now even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom