what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the downspouts on the front of my house. I realized that the reason I was getting a little water in the basement was that the gutters were over topping in heavy rain. The reason the gutters were over topping was that 1) the 2x3 downspout was inadequate to drain that much roof area and 2) the downspout opening was just about always clogged with leaves and pine needles. I installed 3x4 downspouts which have a funnel shaped 3x8"entry from the gutter into the downspout so it can take a lot more debris and flush it out before clogging. I did this on the rear porch downspout and it made a huge difference in the frequency of clogging.

Looks like the next thing I need to do is power wash my gutters. :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 10
I am so glad that the former owner of my home had gutters with gutter guards installed! I never clean out my gutters or downspouts, and when it rains the water flows through them freely with no problems or issues thus far. Might be something to think about later on, as you get closer to old age.

Picking up our daughter at the airport today. She'll be home for about just under three weeks before starting sophomore year.

In a surprising coincidence, a south shore swell is building this evening and a second one will hit this week...

I am so glad that the former owner of my home had gutters with gutter guards installed! I never clean out my gutters or downspouts, and when it rains the water flows through them freely with no problems or issues thus far. Might be something to think about later on, as you get closer to old age.

I think that one's success with gutter guards depends a lot on your overhanging vegetation. The evergreens, especially would plug up a gutter guard quickly.

I like all the trees that I have, but they are not tidy.

I think that one's success with gutter guards depends a lot on your overhanging vegetation. The evergreens, especially would plug up a gutter guard quickly.

I like all the trees that I have, but they are not tidy.

I don't know - - I had a huge, very untidy swamp maple tree hanging over them until a couple of years ago, and also a big mulberry tree, when the double whammy of Katrina and then Gustav took the mulberry and then the swamp maple down. No problems whatsoever. Don't know why! Guess they were designed with the idea of leaves from trees in mind.

This is what we (wife and I) did. We put up three hummingbird feeders. And, now we are off to Bed Bath to buy a water-pik. And, I read my Barron's Magazine. They suggest you buy stocks that will go up; they suggest you keep your powder dry; and they suggest you take two and hit to right.

Last night my DW and I went to see Chicago in concert, playing with the Colorado Symphony. The music was fantastic - 9 members of the Chicago group with about 50 symphony members! Maybe the best part of this was that the concert was held at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in the foothills west of Denver. If you have never been there, I would have to say that this place is as close to heaven for a concert as one can get. Take a look at the photos on this site:
Red Rocks Concert Photo Gallery

Saw the STYX/BOSTON tour there a few years ago. Superb setting for a concert!! Too bad I about passed out from the hike up the the amphitheater from the parking area :blush:

DS-15, DS-8 and I drove home from Ocean Springs after a great two-day with DD's family. It was much more humid on the Mississippi gulf coast than in Vicksburg. We went to the beach yesterday evening and cooled off a lot. DS-8 found a "perfect shell". When we got back to DD's house, she looked and found a hermit crab in it. It's name is Crabby McCrab.

Practiced my golf swing, took a lesson, and bought myself a birthday present two days early. Yes, it was on sale! :dance:

Now off to the swimming pool.

Last edited:
A wonderful visit with an old friend. It was 40 years ago this week that the two of us were missed by about six feet by a piece of shrapnel from a 122 mm rocket. It was probably the next day before we got most of our hearing back. We've been close friends for those 40 years, but only rarely get to see each other. Reminiscing about shared experiences can be cathartic.

Nice bike ride today.
TreeTunnel.jpg
Horses.jpg

We met this guy who was hit by a car in 1976 while riding a bike, spent 1.5 years in the hospital, and is severely brain-damaged -- I could barely understand him. But he has an amazing "That's life!" attitude. Wear your helmets!

QuadCycle.jpg

Speaking of bikes - today I bought a Trek 1.5 road bike. I pick it up tomorrow. My old Trek hybrid is great on trails but a chore on the roads.

FINALLY got back online. The past 4 days have been busybusybusy.

I was invited to drive the Mustang in an Honor America Days parade on Saturday. I was made a 1 day honorary member of the VFW Color Guard, i.e. transporting 2 current members whose knees/back/feet just won't support the march anymore.

I decorated the car very tastefully with mini flags, a small R/W/B bunting and 2 satin cloths bearing the VFW emblem. I bought some magnetic strip with adhesive backing to fasten the signs and cloths.
I wore a bright royal blue sundress and a wide brimmed hat with red/white/blue ribbon decoration.

I waved to all the kids, grinned back when the little boys yelled "Nice car!", returned a few unknown (to me at least) appreciative hand signals. I was very proud to be part of the parade unit. My 2 passengers thanked me at least a zillion times for providing the means for them to continue to be in the parade. :D

I will try to find a digital photo taken by the post members lining the block where the VFW is located.

What is the hand signal for "Hubba Hubba?"

I decorated the car very tastefully with mini flags........

You did attach the flags to the wipers and put the wipers in the up position and on high speed, didn't you? :cool:

Just got back with a couple friends from an incredible 4 day music festival (FloydFest X ~ the eXperience :: Presented by Across-the-Way Productions, Inc.). Listened to and watched more great music than I can mention, hung out with Sarah and her DH and friends, fell a little off my eating diet, fell way off the wagon, got a little burned in the sun, a little wet in the rain, and overall had an amazing time. Can't wait until next year.

Sarah hasn't checked in yet. Hope she didn't get run over when she fell off...:)

Nope, they're driving the Argosy back to SC. Longer trip, bigger vehicle, mountain roads (Blue Ridge Parkway), etc. They'll probably get home tomorrow. Her DH is driving, and I'm pretty sure he locks the door so she doesn't fall out.

Attachments

• ColorGuardStang.jpg
    ColorGuardStang.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 7
  • ColorGuardSideView.jpg
    ColorGuardSideView.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 5
Just got back with a couple friends from an incredible 4 day music festival (FloydFest X ~ the eXperience :: Presented by Across-the-Way Productions, Inc.). Listened to and watched more great music than I can mention, hung out with Sarah and her DH and friends, fell a little off my eating diet, fell way off the wagon, got a little burned in the sun, a little wet in the rain, and overall had an amazing time. Can't wait until next year.
Harley, this looks like a great festival. Did you get to hear the "Robert Randolph family band"? That guy plays a mean steel guitar.

Yep, I did and he did. His bass player was incredible too. That was one of my favorite shows this year. Along with Taj, Tuna, New Monsoon, Railroad Earth, Dave Grisman, Trampled by Turtles, Yonder Mountain, Sam Bush... and on and on. Interestingly, one of my main reasons for going, Grace Potter, didn't do much for me sound-wise. She still looks incredibly hot, but the song selection just didn't do it for me. Pretty much my only disappointment the whole weekend. Other than having to miss some shows because you can't be in two places at one time.

First Real Day After ER

Some of you may have been following my exploits on Hi I Am... or the Class of 2011. For those that are not familiar (and who might actually care - i.e. both of you . . .), allow me a quick recap. I pulled the trigger on Friday 07/29 at age 50 and proceeded to crash my Harley on the way to my retirement lunch. I know, I know what a doofus!

Be that as it may, that day consisted of surgery and ankle reconstruction. Left hospital on Saturday. So today DW and I got to do several scintillating activities like getting the bike out of hock and to the repair shop, going to the ortho surgeon to get the temp DMV placard form signed, and culminating in an actual outing to the DMV to mingle with real America. I must admit the "Director" lady at the DMV counter was totally on her game and would send people packing if they did not have the right forms or originals of IDs etc. Luckily, she took mercy on me hobbling on my crutches and quickly gave me a number as we were of the lowly walk-in variety and did not have an appointment. The posted wait was 1.5 hours , but within about 10 minutes we were summoned to the counter and completed our paperwork. Now all we had to do was get in line 13 to pick up the actual placard. (Why these can not be issued in a single transaction is beyond me!) The Director woman even came over to check on why I was still waiting. What a delightful energetic lady!

Placard in hand and home to an afternoon of reading the Nook on the patio and contemplating important questions like "what wine shall we have with dinner?" Tomorrow it's back to Mega Corp to start some part time consulting.

DW, time for my sponge bath!:2funny::2funny:

Dawn patrol with our daughter.

The weather front moved through a couple days ago leaving absolutely no wind and glassy seas. Southern hemisphere storms contributed 4-6 foot waves. It was wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom