what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sincere condolences to bbbamI and Sue J.

Thank you, Meadbh.

As for what I did today, I finally got around to buying myself a new chair for my computer desk. The old one was from 1997, the height piston had quit many years ago and the seat cushion was so flat that I had been sitting on a pillow.

Office Max had some chairs on sale (20% off), I had a coupon from email for another 20% off and then I had a $10 off coupon that came in the mail. Both coupons said that they couldn't be combined with other coupons but at the register they both worked.

Starting price $150
On sale for $120
After 20% off email coupon $96
After $10 coupon $86
Total with tax was $92
Paid with $20 Discover gift card (accumulated with points during one of their 5% on purchases promos)
Net cost to me - $72

Fuego Multi-Function Super Task Chair

My Mom would be proud! She loved to get a good deal.

Sincere condolences to bbbamI and Sue J.
I haven't been on much lately, so I missed the announcements.

Losing a parent is a very difficult rite of passage in life. I am sending my condolences and 2 great big HUGS to SueJ and bbbamI. Please think about the better times you spent with your Moms and be glad of the memories.

:flowers:

After almost a full week and then some of being sick, I had enough energy to do table bussing Friday (at a slower speed than normal), and then went to an Early Bird dinner at the Legion with Mr B last night. I felt pretty good for both events. :D
However, I woke up today feeling a bit peaked. My sinsuses are still draining to beat the band. I just opened my second box of Puffs Plus tissues. Enough already! :(
I talked to a few folks who had the same bug, and they told me it was a good 2 weeks before they got completely better. So I guess I can look forward to feeling better by the end of this week.

In the meantime, I got the heavy drapes hung back up in my freshly painted living room. :dance: We need to pull the AC units from the windows in preparation for bona fide cold weather. Mr B has a midterm test coming up, so when he can take a break, we'll get that done. If still gets up to 60F in the daytime, so no rush. I used small IDL binder clips to attach a draped towel over each one for insulation during the colder nights.

Today was a perfect day in South Florida . Temps in the 70's with no humidity .We went down to the riverfront for a tasting event and spent time just sitting by the river and enjoying the day . We tasted several dishes from area restaurants and washed them down with wine and beer . The smoked Mullet was the best . November is ideal weather for all the festivals .

Watching football...49ers win again! Green Bay and SD playing a good game. Raining..........welcome to fall in NorCal

I went to my U.S. Naval Academy 30th year reunion this weekend. It was quite enjoyable to see my old friends and classmates again; I'm hoarse from talking so much. In light of the widely reported breakdown of marriage as an institution, I was particularly heartened to see how many guys are still with the girl they dated as a midshipman those many years ago. I also learned a new term from people talking about their now 20-something children -- "off the payroll". It is a status to which all of them aspire -- to have all the kids off the payroll.

Odd incident of the weekend -- on Saturday morning, the young wife and I were eating breakfast at Chick & Ruth's Delly, an Annapolis institution. At about 9:30 am, a voice came on the PA system requesting that, as they have done every day for the last 22 years, all the patrons stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Everyone did.

Photovoltaic "PV Quick Mounts" in the morning for a few hours, and this time I managed not to drive any three-inch lag bolts through three inches of roofing. (I don't want to talk about it.) The key is to get up on the roof at dawn's early crack, when the shingles are easy to pry apart to slide in the flashing, and then to get off the roof as soon as the sweat starts running into your eyes. Tomorrow I'll drill holes in the rails and bolt them onto the mounts. If things go well then Tuesday I'll be laying out panels and wiring them together.

Took spouse to the airport for her flight to the Mainland. She's [-]fleeing our familyroom renovation[/-] spending a week [-]shopping at REI[/-] at a conference for a non-profit she volunteers with. This means I have all day free for various exciting man-cave activities like priming drywall, painting drywall, priming trim, painting trim, and disposing of construction debris. By those criteria, this afternoon I got a three-hour head start on the trim.

I went to my U.S. Naval Academy 30th year reunion this weekend. It was quite enjoyable to see my old friends and classmates again; I'm hoarse from talking so much.
Do you stay in contact with most of your classmates, or is this an "occasional-chat-at-an-annual-reunion" type of activity? I think those would be more enjoyable if the geography didn't cram so many of us into such a small space.

I don't see spouse or I going for our 30ths, but that depends on whether we have other reasons for making a trip to the area...

Had a visit with the service manager at my local Chevy dealership. I told him my story of losing a wheel off the truck while towing our RV, showed him the photos of the broken and rusted studs. When I told him the dealership making the repairs said it wasn't covered under warranty because I was the last to remove and replace the wheel, his response was "Bullsh!t. I'll get a check cut to reimburse you for the cost of repairs. It's dealers like that who give GM a bad name."
smiley.gif

I think I'll put these guys on my Christmas card list...

That is great news, REW! Glad that you finally have gotten some satisfaction. And that they are going to do the right thing by you, even if it took some doing on your part.

Playing super-sleuth to try to find the culprit behind some major sabotage. 12 years' worth of work has been erased from one of our computer drives. We've had incidents where other research has been deleted but we were able to restore the info.

This drive has been wiped clean and the info can't be restored.

If and when we find the culprit, I am going to insist on criminal charges. Under Canada's justice system, they might go to jail for 3 or maybe even 4 days.

That'll teach 'em.

Had a visit with the service manager at my local Chevy dealership. I told him my story of losing a wheel off the truck while towing our RV, showed him the photos of the broken and rusted studs. When I told him the dealership making the repairs said it wasn't covered under warranty because I was the last to remove and replace the wheel, his response was "Bullsh!t. I'll get a check cut to reimburse you for the cost of repairs. It's dealers like that who give GM a bad name."
smiley.gif

Woo-hoo!! :dance: That's WONDERFUL news.... :D

smiley.gif

That is good news. Just is time for xmas, too.

Voted
Went to library and copied documents
Bought bird food
Went to grocery store
Made large amounts of soup

Nuiloa said:
Playing super-sleuth to try to find the culprit behind some major sabotage. 12 years' worth of work has been erased from one of our computer drives. We've had incidents where other research has been deleted but we were able to restore the info.

This drive has been wiped clean and the info can't be restored.

Really?
You don't have offsite backups?
To me, THAT'S criminal. Or at the very least, incompetent.

GREAT NEWS, REWahoo :dance: The "squeaky wheel gets the grease" strikes again.

I just got back from Sacket's Harbor on Lake Ontario. A very good longtime friend has been bugging me to come north and make sausage and drink beer, with the neighbor guy helping out. So I grabbed the fair weather opportunity to go north. The area I drive through is one of the heaviest snowfall regions of the state, so it pays to check NOAA before venturing into God's Country.

We three made some serious venison/pork butt sausage, well lubricated with nice cold beer and lots of laughter. Watching the guys place the natural casings over the sausage stuffer attachment :cool: got my mind going to very naughty places. :LOL: I haven't had that much fun in ages. I was the hopper supply person, smart*ss commentator, beer fetcher and official taste tester.

Here is the photo record of the event, from grinding the meat, onion and Anaheim pepper, to mixing it all up by hand, to stuffing the casings, and finally to the finished product.

Attachments

• porkvenison.jpg
    porkvenison.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 3
  • MasterCeremony.jpg
    MasterCeremony.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 3
  • onionspeppers.jpg
    onionspeppers.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2
  • stuffingit.jpg
    stuffingit.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1107012223.jpg
    1107012223.jpg
    563.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Here is the photo record of the event, from grinding the meat, onion and Anaheim pepper, to mixing it all up by hand, to stuffing the casings, and finally to the finished product.
Glad you had fun. I love eating venison sausage, but prefer to let others do the work.

I do have to ask, why Anaheim peppers? Aren't those pretty tame?

Glad you had fun. I love eating venison sausage, but prefer to let others do the work.

I do have to ask, why Anaheim peppers? Aren't those pretty tame?
The guys like to make 2 versions...mellow and "take your head off" sausage. Next batch will be much spicier.

I wish I could write down some of my commentary about the casings procedure, but I want to remain a "good citizen" member here. :angel: Let's just say I had 2 grown men blushing. :LOL:

The young wife and I make hot Italian sausage about twice a year. We don't have the fancy electric grinder though, so it's my job to crank the handle while the young wife attends to the casing. We're about due for another batch.

The young wife and I make hot Italian sausage about twice a year. We don't have the fancy electric grinder though, so it's my job to crank the handle while the young wife attends to the casing. We're about due for another batch.
My BiL decided he wanted to make his own venison sausage, and LBYMed it with a hand crank grinder. He is a huge man, massive hands, feels no pain and doesn't know his own strength. One batch of sausage with the hand crank was enough for him.

Dr. visit today. PSA = 0.71

Mexican food for lunch (beef fajitas)

Frozen yogurt with pecans & strawberries at Counter Culture

Dodged a tornado that came within about a mile

Chillin' here in the recliner, watchin' tv with the missus.....

Drove to the university to take Son Number Two out for brunch. He had a history test afterwards, and so while eating we talked about the why the Constitution is so much better than the Articles of Confederation.
Youse guys are very intellectual.:)

Did Tabata protocols on Concept2 rowing machine. It was so miserable I wished I had gone car shopping instead.

Not me, but you get an idea of how much fun they're not from this vid:
I wonder what is causing those perturbations in the chain? I've done Tabatas ( I hate them too) and did not notice that effect.

The last two days have been so pretty that I went out walking instead of rowing both days.

Ha

Spent the day researching dryer sheets on the internet, Then went to several stores to get a box from each manufacturer. And to think I just used ti through a clean dry small twin size sheet in my dryer with my freshly washed clothes.

I wonder what is causing those perturbations in the chain? I've done Tabatas ( I hate them too) and did not notice that effect.
It has me curious as well. Also has me looking at the chain a lot during Tabatas, and I notice a little of it and wondered what it looks like from the opposite side and a reduced angle of attack.

Today was the first day of relaxation for me after spending days nursing the whole family back to health. They all picked up a nasty case of gastroenteritis that I think Son Number One brought home from some food he ate at a party.
Youse guys are very intellectual.
We have our moments, but then we always make up for them with enough lowbrow stuff to equalize the pressure. Like tonight's dinner conversation topics (the first meal all could partake in since their illness): the different sounds they make while vomiting and how cool a visual you get when you puke up blue Gatorade. :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom