what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... I did 2 loads of laundry, played a facebook game (a lot...), filled pill boxes, checked the stock market, and generally did not too much.

I had an accident last January and lost a finger (YES I'm serious, ring caught on something) so this year has been mostly devoted to therapy for the hand and getting strength back.

So that really has been bad, but I gave myself permission to take it easy and not worry. Not precisely how I planned to spend retirement but I'm so glad I am no longer - ever - going to work at a "J*B" again! :dance:

Don't wear rings... who knew?

thinker25 said:
I had an accident last January and lost a finger (YES I'm serious, ring caught on something) so this year has been mostly devoted to therapy for the hand and getting strength back.

Sorry to hear that. Did you know that the same thing happened to Dale Carnegie? He mentions it in his book on worrying.

I had an accident last January and lost a finger (YES I'm serious, ring caught on something) so this year has been mostly devoted to therapy for the hand and getting strength back...
Damn! :(

So, that's why you have been missing for a while. :flowers:

Well, not just you, but I notice some other posters have also been absent. Like CuppaJoe, Martha, Dex, etc... I really wonder...

Well, not just you, but I notice some other posters have also been absent. Like CuppaJoe, Martha, Dex, etc... I really wonder...

People come and go. Where have you been for the past 4 months?:)

Last edited:
Well, I did post here that I was goin' RV'in'. Too busy traveling, hiking, boondocking, etc... No time left at the end of the day to surf the Web, no internet connection... Is everybody else RV'ing in the boondocks too?

Well, I am home safe and sound now, but may have to go again...

Spent a few hours last night at the telescope chasing YU55 and finally got a few captures in my scope/camera. Object too time to see with the naked eye and moving fast. Did the hunt with a live online broadcast and had over 70 people viewing at one point.

Finally got it when a smart guy from Canada joined in and was able to feed me some coordinates where the asteroid would pass a few minutes out- put these in, armed the camera and took a 5 second integration/exposure and got it. Ended up with 6 or 7 shots, not impressive to look at but a lot of fun to catch. Here's an image showing it streaking within the view of the camera.

img_1129790_0_8b9a1bcf81f1b7643862be163fab86c5.jpg

That guy wouldn't be Jack Newton?

Today was a bit of a wipeout:
Couldn't donate blood because of too high temperature.
Couldn't access library because of downtown military event.
Didn't go to USPS because couldn't get to library.
---
Library is open tomorrow.

Damn! :(

So, that's why you have been missing for a while. :flowers:

Thanks - well I kind of come and go these days. I get really into this group and then kind of get distracted. But yes, since late January I've been recuperating from the damn finger accident. Lots of soft tissue damage, not just the finger. Luckily I have the third finger and it works just fine :D

(I just couldn't resist)...

Finally deleted e-mails going back to 2008 after copying images pertinent to past internet purchases and did my weekly analysis of portfolio performance. Portfolio is trailing S&P 500 YTD by ~2.5% primarily due to overweight in foreign stocks, inverse funds, and JPM.

It's snowing on the mountaintops and it's been a literary day. Read in bed for an hour this morning (Craig Ferguson's American on Purpose -- excellent! :)) ---on my Kindle. Then general chores, laundry, and a walk. This afternoon, did some errands, then visited the local library and signed up for my library card. Got a tutorial on elibrary resources (Kindle ebooks are not yet available in Canada :(), borrowed a (real) book (Pope Joan), came home and have been downloading library software and getting oriented. I can read ebooks and audiobooks on my PC and my Blackberry. Downloaded Secretariat on my PC and transferred it to my BB. I have 21 days to read it. Then made dinner: chicken Kiev and baby bok choi with a glass of Hester Creek Trebbiano 2010. Delicious!

Changed out engine coolant thermostat of my 99 Suburban. With the cooler weather, noticed weeny heater performance. Now nice 'n toasty.

What are the odds of a 95 Jag and a 99 GMC having thermostats go kaflooey a few weeks apart? Both looked original.

Heh, as always the trick is figuring out the problem before going on a wild parts replacement spree.

Interestingly, Thermostat for GMC about $8.-, for the Jag $ 16.- at NAPA.

Did some troubleshooting on the RV water heater to figure out why it wasn't working properly on propane but OK on elec. Found the air mixing vent was allowing in too much air, causing the flame to blow out. Adjusted and all is working fine now.

That guy wouldn't be Jack Newton?

No, not Jack Newton, I've seen his website though, some nice images and seems to be an impressive fellow! The guy who helped me lives near Toronto, first name Chris, very active using the astronomy video camera that I have (Mallincam Extreme) and very knowledgeable when it comes to using these cameras. Also very helpful to newbies.

Watching NFL football on free TV in Rita, and plan to start a burn pile... so I get to enjoy two of my favorite things in life. Burn yard slash and watch the 49ers win another game...hopefully!

SANY0131.jpgSANY0135.jpg

Just watched 60 Minutes profile of UMBC President Freeman Hrabowski. Pretty amazing guy who's led University of Md-Baltimore Campus (UMBC) students to achieve some outstanding things. Yes, math is hot!

My favorite tidbit is that UMBC has no football team. The "cool" team on the UMBC campus is................

...wait for it.........

The chess team!

I roasted a whole chicken today, lightly sprinkled with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning.
I caught a sale at 0.99 per lb last week and bought two nice big fat chickie-lickies. :D
Mr B did the carving and stripped the carcass after dinner. I put all of the bones into a pot with water, simmered it for 30 minutes, then strained it out into a container for freezing. This will be used for homemade chicken noodle soup sometime this winter. I never buy canned chicken broth anymore - too much @!#* salt :mad: and very little body to it.

We are watching the NY Jets :dance: and New England Patriots (boo hiss :LOL:) play football.
Love that Spandex! :cool:

After being rained out for three straight mornings, I finally finished clamping enough photovoltaic panels on the new racks to connect up the first string. Much to my surprise, it's all working fine.

Tomorrow I'm going to drill more holes in a new roof and start building the second set of racks...

CuppaJoe? No idea.

Martha? On an RV trip, bandwidth limited, not finding much here to talk about.

Dex? Nursing his wounded pride after going 100% cash at darn near the bottom of last summer's market. Or maybe he used some of that cash to buy an RV and hit the road with everyone else...

Saturday, DS-8 and I went riding our bikes in the military park. It was a beautiful day. I had to retrieve my bike from the attic where it had been for 25 years and replace all replaceable rubber pieces. I had to get a big fat seat for my big fat ass.

Sunday, my boys got a 11 week old German Shepard puppy. Life is good.

I never buy canned chicken broth anymore - too much @!#* salt :mad: and very little body to it.

We are watching the NY Jets :dance: and New England Patriots (boo hiss :LOL:) play football.
Love that Spandex! :cool:

The bought broth is almost as disgusting as the Pats. Green Bay fan since I
was 8.LOL

Last edited:
Made a trip to the local USPS and mailed off request for TSP withdrawal.
Made several days worth of salads.
Combed enough hair off the cat to knit another cat.

Dex already had a travel trailer, a Casita.

About Martha boondocking somewhere, yes, I would expect that.

Does anybody know about CJ? I am hoping that she is the new owner of R-i-T's practically new Itasca motorhome (despite the big scratch on the passenger side, which was already fixed, I believe), and has driven off with her SO to some exotic places, like to the end of the Dempster highway.

Just want to be sure everybody is still OK... I may just run across them in the campgrounds somewhere in the future (and they would not know me! :)).

CuppaJoe? No idea.

Martha? On an RV trip, bandwidth limited, not finding much here to talk about.

Dex? Nursing his wounded pride after going 100% cash at darn near the bottom of last summer's market. Or maybe he used some of that cash to buy an RV and hit the road with everyone else...

Stayed in pj's most of the day with bf who is also sick. Just chilling out in our new house, he is playing new video game and I am cruising the net....cats are sleeping...I love days like this :)

I had 3 contractors here today doing a custom damper hood and inner fluer liner for both of my chimneys. It will help keep heat from escaping the room when there is no fire, and provide a safety barrier to prevent chimney fires.
The draft for the upper fireplace is greatly reduced, as we all expected, so they recommended putting one of those thermally activated spinners at the top to increase the flow out of the chimney.
The fence posts are straigntened and the double gate is fixed. I can open it with 2 fingers. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom