what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was a cold, rainy day. Only went outside to get the newspaper and mail.

Read a good bit online about Photoshop Elements, worked on restoring some old photographs, played with the camera, flash, and a reflector for a bit. Took a couple of photos of a reluctant but tolerant DW and made them into portraits. Dang, she's cute! (I'd post photos but that is verboten by her.)

I did make this one earlier and played around with layers in Elements to get the exposure more even. The trick with polished metal is to expose it evenly without too many glaring highlights. That called for a 42" reflector held about three inches over the subject and lit by an off-camera flash.

Hey, if Andy Warhol can call a Campbell's soup can label "art" then I can do the same with some Sears wrenches on a cutting mat.

Attachments

• Wrenches_11-23_6575_edited-.jpg
    Wrenches_11-23_6575_edited-.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1
Hey, if Andy Warhol can call a Campbell's soup can label "art" then I can do the same with some Sears wrenches on a cutting mat.

Very nice. I put myself through college working as a mechanic, so a nicely turned set of wrenches still makes my heart flutter. :LOL:

That is really a neat photo workup.

Caution, artist at work.
coolsmiley.gif

I was sitting at my desk reading the forum this morning when I heard an unusual gurgling noise coming from the half bath in the hallway. DW was running a load of laundry and yep, the sewer was backing up.
img_1138511_0_7dab5df9aa0afbe36d0aad4feb743f62.gif

I shut off the washer and assessed the damages. The back-up was limited to the shower in the master bath, which is adjacent to the laundry room. Thankfully the standing water was from the washer, not from the septic tank.

I went outside to uncap the clean-out, and water gushed out for several seconds, indicating the blockage was between that point and the septic system thirty feet away.

I checked the "fluid levels" in the three septic tanks (aerobic system) and they appeared to be a few inches lower than normal. I ran a garden hose into the sewer line downstream from the clean-out, and after some effort, finally got whatever was blocking the line to let go.

We've lived here 13 years and never had a problem prior to this. Unlikely it was caused by tree roots - darn few trees and the pipe is PVC...

Good fix. Maybe a congregation of fire ants?

A few years ago I pulled a dead squirrel out of my sewer line...

I feel ever so penny-wise today. For lunch we went to a very nice restaurant and shared their Thursday special - - a very excellent $5.98 bowl of red beans and rice spiced perfectly with plenty of sausage. This was one of those a huge bowls, about 14" across and shallow. It came with a medium sized salad, too, so it was more than enough for the two of us.

Since I chose water to drink, my share for the entire lunch was $2.99 plus tax and tip. :D We'll need to keep this in mind for future Thursdays.

I do love stumbling upon what I think is a bargain.

Messed around with mortgage refinancing documents in the morning. 3.375% is better than the 4.375% that I'm currently paying. I figure that it I can't earn more than 3.375% in the long run on the nestegg that mortgage payments will be the least of my problems.

We got 5 1/2" of wet snow last night so I shoveled/snowblowed the deck, doorways, walkways and parking area in the afternoon then took a short walk with my son.

I had a 10' x 20' canopy kicking around that I had put up in the back yard thinking I would park the snowmobiles under it for the winter but it is sagging so much with this little bit of snow that I now know there is no way it will last the winter, so I'll plan to take it down tomorrow.

Also did a little w*rk. 11 days to RE!!

Why am I thinking about that old joke about the plumber and the yarmulke?

Last edited:
Today I watched my housecleaner clean. :D

I gave her the usual $60 plus another $60 to go towards presents for her 2 kids. I like playing Mrs Santa.

Tonight is pizza and wing night at the club where I bus tables. $3.50 for a huge slice with pepperoni & sausage and 6 chicken wings and celery and bleu cheese. I can't cook at home for much cheaper than that. Amazing!

I ran a garden hose into the sewer line downstream from the clean-out, and after some effort, finally got whatever was blocking the line to let go.

Don't you need to figure out what caused it? Unless something big got flushed, I'd guess that there's some kind of break or invasion in there. Next backup could be worse.

Yesterday we did all the outside stuff we were going to do the day before. Took the motorcycle to the shop for the annual state inspection, new rear tire, general health/safety checkup and change the clutch hydraulic fluid. Grocery store run, and bought a new kitchen sink, faucet and disposal.

The faucet has been replaced once before (new cartridge didn't stop the leak) and the stainless steel sink has seen it's better days. DW has been hinting for a while that she'd like a white porcelain sink instead. So we got that, and since everything has to come apart anyway we bought a new, quieter disposal that won't sound like a thrashing machine and vibrate the entire sink/counter.

And since me and plumbing do not play nice together we're going to pay someone to install all this. I could do it, but it's worth the expense to avoid the exercise in frustration that plumbing projects are for me.

Loved the wrench picture, Walt. We had a moment of panic in reviewing our list of tools for the junket coming up, and saw a "set of spanners" listed. And thought...what the heck are spanners? We have this one spanner tool that opens up the deck plates on the boat, surely that isn't it? Ah, the language barrier! Turns out spanners in the UK are what we call wrenches here. Whew! Your set of wrenches look suspiciously clean, I must note. :)

And since me and plumbing do not play nice together we're going to pay someone to install all this. I could do it, but it's worth the expense to avoid the exercise in frustration that plumbing projects are for me.
+1

I think it was The Bunny who said civilization reached it's peak and began to decline when someone had the bright idea to pipe water into houses - under pressure!

Split more firewood yesterday and I'm almost done. One fun thing is that whenever I start splitting, a little brown bird shows up and hangs out with me. I'm sure that my work uncovers a lot of tasty bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom