what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday with DW, Mom, my brother and his DW, went to Chicago One of a Kind. An arts and crafts expo that takes up an entire floor in the Merchandise Mart. The first time for DW and I, but definitely not the last. An amazing amalgamation of the ordinary, fashionable and unique. Also fun just to watch the people. Lots of great restaurants nearby to end the day well - and we went to Bin 36 for a very enjoyable meal.

Those rings are gorgeous, bam--and I'm supposing at least a few were gifts from your father to your mother? Those are extra special and your mother would appreciate the love you'll feel when you wear them.
Thank you... :flowers:

Well, in a way they were gifts from daddy. Momma rarely bought anything for herself. She was a LBYM kind of woman...but she loved diamonds (like mother like daughter). :) He would tell her to buy something for herself and she would relent.

The story of the 2 carat ring (two rows of five diamonds, last row on the left) is her cousin divorced her husband. She (her cousin) was so irate with her ex; she wanted to get rid of the ring. She told momma to give her $100 and the ring would be hers. Momma tried to talk her out of it...but to no avail. Momma knew her cousin would sell it to anyone for such a paltry amount...so she bought it.

bbbamI, those are really nice rings. Hope you get lots of opportunities to use them. I think it's fantastic when families pass jewelry down from parents to children. My DW has worn her mother’s wedding ring for years and it always looks the best.
Thank you for the compliment... :flowers:

The gold band belonged to my maternal grandmother. I wear it every once in a while.

Not having children, at this point I don't know what will become of those rings when I blink out. My hope is I'll recognize someone that cherishes them (at least almost) as much as I do.

Thank you... :flowers:

Well, in a way they were gifts from daddy. Momma rarely bought anything for herself. She was a LBYM kind of woman...but she loved diamonds (like mother like daughter). :) He would tell her to buy something for herself and she would relent.

The story of the 2 carat ring (two rows of five diamonds, last row on the left) is her cousin divorced her husband. She (her cousin) was so irate with her ex; she wanted to get rid of the ring. She told momma to give her $100 and the ring would be hers. Momma tried to talk her out of it...but to no avail. Momma knew her cousin would sell it to anyone for such a paltry amount...so she bought it.

Thank you for the compliment... :flowers:

The gold band belonged to my maternal grandmother. I wear it every once in a while.

Not having children, at this point I don't know what will become of those rings when I blink out. My hope is I'll recognize someone that cherishes them (at least almost) as much as I do.

Lovely rings, BbbamI! My grandmother gave me a humble garnet ring when I was 12 years old...somehow I have always hung onto it. It was one that was given to her when she was a child, probably circa 1900 or so. Jewelry does, for me, carry the spirit of the one who passed it on to us.

Lovely rings, BbbamI! My grandmother gave me a humble garnet ring when I was 12 years old...somehow I have always hung onto it. It was one that was given to her when she was a child, probably circa 1900 or so. Jewelry does, for me, carry the spirit of the one who passed it on to us.
Humble or not...an heirloom given to us by someone we love will always bring warm fuzzies...:smitten:

Humble or not...an heirloom given to us by someone we love will always bring warm fuzzies...:smitten:

You can say that again! Grandma died in 1985, and any time I look at that ring, it's as if I were a child again, being with her adoringly. How I love her to this day:blush:

Worked in my workshop making small gift boxes. Got 3 done - 10 more to go. Knicked my index finger with my bench top belt sander. It's amazing how easy it is to sand completely through a fingernail.

Hung blinds in the familyroom, spackled the last few holes on the outside wall, and painted the last few spots on the back lanai.

We've moved about half the furniture back into the familyroom, and we're about to do the same with the lanai furniture.

It's amazing how easy it is to sand completely through a fingernail.
Yeah, but it's hell taking out the marks with progressively finer grits...

You folks with the ring stories...love them! My mom and I don't always get along, but when I lost the diamond out of my engagement ring a year or so ago, after wearing it 17 years, mom gave me a really pretty ring with emeralds and sapphires she bought in Egypt years ago. It is a perfect replacement to my ring, and gives me a connection to my mom even when we don't see eye-to-eye.
I'm glad your rings bring you the same special feelings.

I went to lunch with a friend while Mr B wrassled with his college pre-registration process. He needs some pre-requisite classes waived and had to convince the department head he could manage the upper level courses. I will be his personal math tutor for one of them.

I also solved this puzzle, sent to me by another friend. Good luck! :D

http://www.brl.ntt.co.jp/people/hara/fly.swf

Last edited:
Woke up at 7am went to my dentist appointment at 9am came home feed my dogs, shortly after i went to visit a friend then by 4pm i came home cooked dinner and watched a movie then to bed. :)

I went to lunch with a friend while Mr B wrassled with his college pre-registration process. He needs some pre-requisite classes waived and had to convince the department head he could manage the upper level courses. I will be his personal math tutor for one of them.

Not bad but too easy

Nothing much today except the usual - exercise, shopped for food o stock up, cooked, watched TV, housecleaner now cleaning my home and a bit of ironing later. I think the highlight was catching up on the last episode of series 2 of The Walking Dead. Don't know why I like watching zombies, vampires and werewolves. It's not like I'm going to learn anything from those movies - but they are real entertaining.

Attachments

• meatpie2011.jpg
    meatpie2011.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 5
Got our glass shower door installed :)
Went to Raymour and Flannigan to pick out a living room set...will get it on Friday :)
Just need our kitchen counter installed and we are good to go!

Today I spent three hours-- well, you know.

But we're almost done. And today I did it all outside, nothing inside. And the furniture is coming back into the familyroom, and the rest of the house is beginning to return to normal.

Our daughter returns home from college next week. We should have her room cleaned out by then...

Took delivery of the new dryer this morning. Made an appointment with a lawyer in France for some upcoming real estate transactions. Bought a bunch of euros to pay said lawyer. Updated my financial spreadsheets. Had lunch. Met some friends in the afternoon. Went grocery shopping. Made dinner (beef/rice/black eyed pea casserole). Watched a couple episodes of "Boss" while emailing my congratulations to a dear friend who just had her second child. Now drinking some hot tea and fixing to go to bed.

I made a meat pie, aka Tourtière. Mr B loves these.

Tourtière - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I only make a few each year because it is clearly not such a good thing for his diet.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm looks great

Going Christmas shopping for some gifts that I will give and checking out a couple of electronic goodies my cousin's son wants her to get him. Then will catch lunch at Mi Thai with a former coworker or two. Too many restaurant meals in the last few days but I have been going full out for those few days too. The DQ Blizzard last night is not going to help either.

Practicing for ER today...enjoyed the early morning calm outdoors on the deck sipping coffee, taking in the sounds of nature and watching the random birds going about their touch and go routines around me. Only 9 more working days this year and officially ER on Jan 2, 2012. I look forward to this even more than I did anticipating Christmas as a child. By far THE best Christmas gift of my life. :)

Practicing for ER today...enjoyed the early morning calm outdoors on the deck sipping coffee, taking in the sounds of nature and watching the random birds going about their touch and go routines around me. Only 9 more working days this year and officially ER on Jan 2, 2012. I look forward to this even more than I did anticipating Christmas as a child. By far THE best Christmas gift of my life. :)
He he. Let me assure the real thing is much better. But keep on practicing - no harm there. Cheers...

Neat puzzle. Installed a barrel stove in my workshop. Just in time too because it is snowing.
Troubleshooting a serpintine belt noise in the Corrola. New alternator time already!?

I found a mussel on the beach (which is unusual), put it in my pocket and set an alarm on my watch so I wouldn't forget it. I got home, the alarm went off, and I couldn't remember why I'd set it. But I did remember that it was important.

Luckily I felt it and remembered. I ate it with melted butter and it was delicious.

I spent the day online, watching the rain fall, sitting in the recliner near the front picture window. :LOL: I am still wearing my jammies. :blush:

Last edited:
I spent the day online, watching the rain fall, sitting in the recliner near the front picture window. :LOL: I am still wearing my jammies. :blush:

Sounds wonderful. Can't wait to the day I can do that without having to call in sick.

December is the month for visitors coming into Hong Kong. I have 2 house guests arriving today saying for a week. I have 6 family members arriving next week (staying in hotel) but I'll be joining them in tourist activities. I have relatives coming up end of Dec for 3 days. So, December is like being a tourist guide and host.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom