what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is what Mancaves are for. When DW goes into the cleaning whirlwind, I get in my pickup truck and disappear to the camp for a few days.

Upon return, load up the truck with bags containing mystery stuff and drop half at Salvation Army, the other half at Goodwill. Spreading wealth so to speak.

And peace reigns for many months.

After I cleaned the master bedroom from stem to stern the other day, I gave Mr B "the look" :cool: and told him his office was up next. AND...he was going to help me. The look of utter joy on his face was priceless. I cannot type his response and stay within forum rules...but it involved the word "cluster". :LOL:
To be fair, half the room is my office type junk, so it will be a combined effort. He lifts up the stuff, I run the vaccuum soft brush. We'll have that room ship shape in no time.

Today we went to the Syracuse VA for some routine tests for him. I went along for company. We had a fabulous haddock fish fry (with fries and slaw) for $5.99 for lunch in the VA cafeteria. :D

I am on day 8 of 10 of the antibiotic [-]pink horse pill[/-] regimen. I am really wanting to go out tonight and have some cold ones, the usual Friday night routine. Alas, I must stay the course. :)
Monday will be party day for sure. :dance:
Mr B has to w*rk on taxes, so I will call one of my Legion buddies and go post hopping during the day. Most posts have a crock of soup or stew out for lunch (small donation requested), so I will eat a little bit as we go.

Spending Time Here

Am learning how to better navigate this website-- lots of fun and most informative. :greetings10:

(Probably should not mention that I'm stuck in this chair, recovering from some nasty virus not covered by the flu shot. TMI.) Otherwise, I'd be up and about.

This is far more fun than chores and ER responsibilities, though. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the posts, everyone; I learn a lot for everyone's insights! :flowers:

We got DD a new laptop computer. For her stenography courses, she needs to run specialized software only available for a Windows machine, so... we had to go buy a Windows laptop. In spite of being an old Apple guy, I have had to deal with Windows machines before, including using them for specialized development software. Heck, I even wrote some device drivers for them.

It all came right back. ALL of it. Right out of the box, the Infernal Contraption was slug-like, and couldn't even make a recovery disk without falling over itself (Error 0xC01200FF indeed! Good grief.) It seems the vendor had generously included several heaping shovelfuls of exciting trial software and adware. With at least three apps fighting over that blank CD, the Windows Recovery Disk tool never stood a chance.

Now, the Nice Man at the Microsoft Store will decrapify the machine for only $99, by wiping the disk and installing just the Microsoft stock release. Or, I could buy a new copy of Windows 8 Home Personal for Non-Phone Devices (x86-64) for a bit less and Do It Myself. These alternatives both bugged me, as they involved, well, buying more to make less stuff be on the machine. I did manage to dump an image of the machine to an external drive, so between that and the 'Recovery Partition' in the computer I figured I could get things back if I messed up. Off to the internets...

I found the appropriate tool for the job, an app called "PC Decrapifyer" (No, really!) I used it to lay waste to all the adware, trialware, snoopware, and other junk on the machine. Rebooted, and ran a "cleaner" to make sure all the junk was gone. (The tool I used is fairly dangerous and requires care in installation and use. It's deleted from the machine when done.)

I got the silly thing down to a 30 second boot time and 5 second login time, and it no longer shows constant network activity when I type or use the mouse. (Yeah. Really... Factory fresh keyloggers?) It's all backed up with recovery disks. The desktop is empty except for shortcuts to LibreOffice and VNC Media Viewer. DD is happy.

So, how is your retirement going? ...

I've been cleaning out the "empty" bedrooms so they can be painted. It was a surprise to me that there was anything in there. It just grew from a laundry basket to a whole boatload of crap.

I'm having the floors redone this spring and new windows in the back of the house. So,at some point I need to get everything moved. I need to cull a lot out before then.

Brewed 5 gal of pale ale. First batch since 11/30. Had to shovel out an area on the patio for my brew rig. My stockpile of 30 gallons in November has dwindled to less than 5 gallons so I have to restock.

Dear M Paquette-- I'd rather stay in this chair. Never could de-crappify a computer before retirement, let alone now. Have been avoiding any form of technology that requires de-crappifying. If this one has problems, I pass it off to DH (who performs lesser forms of your miracles); then I come back later.

There are a lot more people out there like me than there are like you. You might want to avoid announcing your skills beyond your property limits. You could get overrun with the chair-sitters like me.

Glad you could help out DD as you did, but you better watch out for the legions of other needy computers! :rolleyes:

One thing i thought we would do after retirement, and have not, is take off on inpromptu road trips. Our beloved dog is elderly and we must make plans for her feeding if we are gone long. And....living in central AR, we have done all the fun day trips many times over.

So, right before lunch was ready, we decided to head to Hot Springs for the horse races. Stayed three races. I lost 4.00; DH netted $14.00....which payed for 1/2 of our beer.

Made it home just ahead of Little Rock rush hour traffic, even after stopping at a McD's to pick up a couple iced coffees.

Great day. :)

Glad you could help out DD as you did, but you better watch out for the legions of other needy computers! :rolleyes:

Not a problem. For everyone else... "I don't do Windows." And as a retired Apple engineer... I generally recommend a certain brand of non-Windows machine. Life is too short to spend dealing with this stuff unless ABSOLUTELY, UNAVOIDABLY necessary. People need to keep their priorities straight. There are kittens that need to be played with, roads that must be explored, funky new gadgets to build...

I filed my Louisiana taxes, and found out that I owe the state the huge sum of $19. :dance: I'll pay it with my $80 refund from the IRS. What a surprise to be that close for both, considering my larger capital gains this year.

Being on a roll, I then (da-dah!) applied for Medicare parts A&B online. :dance::dance:

Then we went to lunch, a pleasure drive, and so on. As for the previous posts, had there been kittens, they would have been played with, endlessly. :D

A lovely....near 50 degree day here in Spokane. Hit a large bucket of golf balls today...with a ton of other golf people. Already played 18 on Wed.....82....the new driver is nice.

Today was a Good Day. Played with cats, went for a drive, and studied for a couple of tests I need to pass so I can build some really nifty gadgets. Went out for Italian with the wife, and talked about movies, old books (Grandma had the whole Oz set, along with the Tom Swift books, the Ted Scott flying series, and other fun books. The further adventures of The Pursuit Patrol...) and other random stuff.

Now I'm off on The Great Clock Hunt, a test of late night wits and button pushing skill...

Fifty degrees today. The snow is gone! Grocery store run, two-hour motorcycle ride to blow off the cobwebs from sitting the last two months.

In about 30 minutes I'm going to walk to the top of the hill in front of our house and look to the west to see if I can spot the Pan-STARRS comet.

EDIT: No joy.

Attachments

• Pan-STARRS.jpg
    Pan-STARRS.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Mostly relaxed. Went grocery shopping. The young wife made mozzarella cheese. I shucked a bunch of oysters for dinner.

Did a whole lot of nothin' today. Just some pampering 'girly' stuff...

Had this song on my mind all afternoon after seeing it on 'Roseanne'.

Rock on Bonnie....
bbbamI...ack...missed ya being logged on by about 25 minutes. :(
So when do we start up the dynamic duo sassafras routines again ? :cool:
I need my sidekick back.

I have to admit I had no idea who Bonnie was. I looked at the other linked youtube videos (to the one you posted) and suddenly realized who she was.

I took my last antibiotic horse pill today and have officially declared Monday March 11 as Freebird Party Day. Look out world! You'll have a thirsty woman on the loose. :dance:

<snip>bbbamI...ack...missed ya being logged on by about 25 minutes. :(
So when do we start up the dynamic duo sassafras routines again ? :cool:
I need my sidekick back.

I took my last antibiotic horse pill today and have officially declared Monday March 11 as Freebird Party Day. Look out world! You'll have a thirsty woman on the loose. :dance:
How 'bout some sassafras tea? :D

I'm still eatin' my Cheerios. I'll catch up with ya soon. :greetings10:

Been a tough few days. Last Wednesday Mom was admitted to the hospital with a case of pneumonia and a blood clot in one leg. She is in ICU and resting OK, but the doc told me initially he doubted she would make it past a few days. Her vital signs have improved over the last few days however.

So we will see. She is 95 and seemed to be doing well up to a couple of weeks ago. But at her age, one can go down fast. I've been very fortunate to have had such a good mom over the years. If this is her time to go, I guess I can't complain.

Dawg, I am so sorry to hear that your Mom is in the hospital. Pretty scary. At her age, any moments you can spend with her are such a gift. I am hoping for the best for her and for you.

Last edited:
Dawg, hope your mom is comfy and God willing comes through this. You are such a good son, she must be a wonderful woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom