what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in a once-a-week yoga class but my other activities often cause me to miss it. My body really misses it when I do, so I really should find another class so that I get at least one in each week (and two would be a bonus). But I am very particular to my particular teacher, having heard horror stories about other teachers.

Made coffee, emptied the dishwasher...

I also made coffee. But there was no need to empty the dishwasher because it broke two days ago. So, what did I do today? Well, I installed a brand-new dishwasher. Actually, I had a bit of help. Yesterday, I called our appliance repairman and explained the dishwasher problem. He came over today at 9:30 AM with a brand-new dishwasher; he pulled out the old one, put in a new one; hauled away the old one. That's what I did today. Later in the afternoon I took an 1 1/2 hour nap.

Today starts my 4th week in ER. Finally started to feel relaxed enough to sleep until I get up naturally, without guilt and without the alarm clock. The weather has been so lovely since my first day of retirement April 1st. I have been taking many many walks with my dogs. They love ER as much as I do judging by the huge grins on their faces.

Dogwood, and cherry blossom, forsythia, tulips, daffodils, and magnolia bloom all around me. Cannot look in any direction without seeing so many beautiful flowers. I feel truly blessed to be beginning my ER at such a beautiful time of year but I bet I would love ER just as much if it had started during a blizzard.

Free time after decades of hard work feels so delicious. I look forward to doing more of the same. Day after day. Enjoying my coffee or tea, reading, walking the dogs, eating a small breakfast, cleaning the house, laundry, ironing, dusting, a little bit of investment-related paper work or computer time, and then writing in my journal, then heading to Whole Foods to pick up some kale, chard, and any kind of fish that may be on sale, teaching a yoga class or two, then home to prepare and enjoy dinner.

Quiet, leisurely, uneventful day --- one after another. I look forward to another 30 years of this if I should be lucky enough to live that long.

Slept in after a late night flight home from a NYC wedding. For some reason the wedding DJs are finding more and more songs we've never heard of but we managed to dance a little to a few oldies.

Slept in after a late night flight home from a NYC wedding. For some reason the wedding DJs are finding more and more songs we've never heard of but we managed to dance a little to a few oldies.
Yeah...I hear ya...what's up with that anyhow? :rant:

:)

Got up at 5:00 a.m. to wish DH a safe trip on his m/c. I wanted him to eat something before he left, but he said 'no, that's ok.' I guess I gave him 'the look', so he ate a banana. Standing there in the kitchen with his leathers on, he hugged me goodbye and promptly burped in my ear.

Since he was fed and burped, I was able to wave goodbye with a smile. :greetings10:

Played golf today and mowed my backyard. Plus walked the dog, so got my exercise in for the day.

Also checked in on the painters work on my mom's kitchen. Tried to pick earthtone colors, but turning out to be a tad darker than I expected. Had 2 women give me their opinion on the samples I picked and they liked them, but doesn't always turn out like the little cards show. Oh well, not that bad but may have to lighten it up a bit whenever I do sell the house. With a dog, the darker colors will help hide the dirt in the meantime.

Sitting in quick care getting the rest of a tick removed. I couldn't get it all and made an infected mess of it before the doc cleaned it up.

Woke up to the sound of a chain saw, which was strange and then realized it was in our yard. For a few weeks, our house lights have flickered a few times each day. Called the utility company. They sent folks out to investigate. Turns out to be a tree root upsetting the transformer box in back yard. Some important somethings in that box were smushed together and could have started a fire.

So, they sent out tree co. to cut down tree. They are returning another to pull out stump. Lights have quit flickering.

DH and i did some grocery shopping (Monday mornings are nice and easy at our Kroger), ran some errands.

17695-albums149-picture974.jpg
[/IMG]

I managed to fall off a step stool in the kitchen on Saturday. I have no idea how, but found myself on my butt on the floor, having tipped over the step stool, knocked over the dish drain and hit the open dishwasher door on the way down. So... no sprains or bruises that required medical attention but I went to the chiropractor yesterday and had my back adjusted. I've been in a freaked-out fog since I did this - I didn't faint or anything, just fell. Time for a new step stool.

So I've been mostly playing computer games and dealing with my father's finances - and he is really not good at it. But he wants control. He's 92, halfway across the continent, and not computer-literate (probably a good thing). Slowly, we're getting him online access (for my brother and me to use) so when he loses things we can get them.

Why he would have a revocable living trust and not have all his investment accounts in it... is beyond me and possibly going to be difficult to accomplish. I see probate in my future.

It's rainy and cold out and I need to buy some food and return library books - ugh! Just another weird retirement week, I guess. :D

Picked up sticks in the yard and cut back our decorative grass. Washed and patched the cushion on my deck rocking chair. Cleaned window screens and installed a few. Took two large bags of misc. items to the local thrift store. Spent an hour looking for the power washer (still not found) and my car keys (found).
Busy day, but much more to do after being away all winter.

Glad you are ok Thinker...!
I worked on one client today, put in the fixings for potato and barley soup, and took a 3 hour nap this afternoon :)

Today starts my 4th week in ER. Finally started to feel relaxed enough to sleep until I get up naturally, without guilt and without the alarm clock. The weather has been so lovely since my first day of retirement April 1st. I have been taking many many walks with my dogs. They love ER as much as I do judging by the huge grins on their faces.

Dogwood, and cherry blossom, forsythia, tulips, daffodils, and magnolia bloom all around me. Cannot look in any direction without seeing so many beautiful flowers. I feel truly blessed to be beginning my ER at such a beautiful time of year but I bet I would love ER just as much if it had started during a blizzard.

Free time after decades of hard work feels so delicious. I look forward to doing more of the same. Day after day. Enjoying my coffee or tea, reading, walking the dogs, eating a small breakfast, cleaning the house, laundry, ironing, dusting, a little bit of investment-related paper work or computer time, and then writing in my journal, then heading to Whole Foods to pick up some kale, chard, and any kind of fish that may be on sale, teaching a yoga class or two, then home to prepare and enjoy dinner.

Quiet, leisurely, uneventful day --- one after another. I look forward to another 30 years of this if I should be lucky enough to live that long.

Beautifully written!

I really enjoyed reading this as it reflects how I feel too with quite similar activities (though I am more like learning pilate than teaching yoga). Am approaching my 3rd year if retirement and people still ask me what I do all day. Your last para on looking forward to 30 years of quiet, leisurely and uneventful days certainly reflect my thoughts though my ex-colleagues certainly think I am certifiable.

Having mostly recovered from my fall (see above - thanks for the kind thoughts) I have been doing financial garbage all day. Paying bills, calling banks, all that exciting stuff - despite online access, some things need phone calls :)

I haven't even eaten lunch. It might be time.... It also might be time to sort through the paper piles AGAIN. It seems as though more comes in than I can handle, daily. If it doesn't get handled immediately... paper piles. My desk is looking scary again. Maybe I'll ignore it for a while and it will go away?

:banghead:

Yesterday I woke up in Honolulu, spent the morning at Pearl Harbor, the afternoon on Waikiki Beach, enjoyed people watching over a cool beverage at the a beach Club here Honolulu Hotels | Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa | Waikiki Beach Luxury Resorts , met a friend for izakaya at a little hole in the wall that tourists never find, and flew "home" to Maui on my new favorite airline Flights to Hawaii, Hawaii Vacations & Travel - Hawaiian Airlines .

Life is good! Today will be a beach and pool day, very LBYM. Only three vacation days left. Tomorrow: the road to Hana. And I will definitely be returning to the state of Aloha!

Here's a place I surfed in Nicaragua called Magnific Rock. Weird break, but pretty spot.

Attachments

• DSCN0706.jpg
    DSCN0706.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 6
And this is the break in front of the surf lodge. It's called Panga Drops and if you can see the speck at the bottom of the wave you can get an idea of how big it really is.

Attachments

• Panga Drops.jpg
    Panga Drops.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 23
Grocery store run, then a 75-mile motorcycle ride on the back country roads. Perfect weather for it.

Yesterday: weeded out my phone's apps, made chimichurri sauce, went to the worst movie of the year ("The Big Wedding", or "The Big Stars Must Surely Be Ashamed of This Result"), made fajitas w/ chimichurri sauce.

Today: the first gorgeous day this year, so hitting the sidewalks with my dog.

Helped out at a local brewery "Pro-Am" event by scoring beers that had been entered into the competition. I had a fantastic time chatting about detailed aspects of the beer we were sampling and hanging out with my brewing buddies, but, get this, I won a raffle and got a 55lb bag of Maris Otter malt!

Today: the first gorgeous day this year, so hitting the sidewalks with my dog.

Sure has been a late spring here in Chicago-land. DW bought some steaks at Costco (top-sirloin-cap-off? about 2/3 the price of Rib-Eye and every bit as good, though different than Rib -Eye), I checked out and cleaned the gas grill. Usually DW likes a cab with steak, she said she wanted beer - I've got a mini-keg set-up for my home-brew now, so I brought up samples of a Summer Spiced Wheat, a Spruce Wheat, and a Vienna Ale. She went with the Spruce Wheat, I had the Vienna and followed with a bottle of my Black Rye - my own recipe which I think is perfect with steak.

Combined with a little clean up and organizing around the house - A good day.

-ERD50

I spent a long day on The Road to Hana which must surely be one of the world's best drives. I went with a tour company as I did not want to be stranded with a flat tire in a remote area without cell phone coverage. Indeed, we saw two young men in a Jeep in exactly that predicament on a very dangerous stretch of road. Highlights for me were the extreme diversity of the landscape (we did the full circuit), a great driver who shared many personal stories of family life in the area, the pools at O'heo Gulch, and the tropical flower farm (where I purchased a bouquet to be sent to a friend). I am now enjoying a glass of wine from the local Tedeschi winery (not bad) and a slice of Sandy's delicious banana bread, both purchased on the trip.

I think anybody who doesn't enjoy Maui needs therapy. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom