what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walking around in the back yard, I looked down and saw four beautiful morels! We've lived here almost nine years, and this was a first, so I was pretty excited. Immediately brought them in, sautéed them in some butter and had a tiny feast. Less than three ounces total weight, but they sure were tasty! I'll be watching that spot like a hawk from now on.

Quite a day indeed!
A couple of hours after finding the morels, I saw the first hummingbird of the year. This is VERY early for Ohio. Scrambled to get the hummer feeder cleaned and filled for them. We do love the little critters.

Last edited:
Went to Kohl's today with DH. Bought a beard trimmer for $45, and two flannel shirts ($40 each) for him. I got a pair of boots ($90.)

The flannel shirts and boots were on clearance..I had a 30% off coupon and $10 of Kohl's cash. Total amount of purchases $58.00. Plus I got another certificate of $10 Kohl's cash.

I saved over $150. :dance:

Last edited:
Organized my workshop. Started like this:

garagebefore.tiff

ended like this:

garageafter.tiff

Last edited:
Cut the grass. Played on the computer. Played with a macro lens, extension tube set, and close up flash set. Took DW out to dinner. Nice day.

..........I saved over $150. :dance:

I celebrate these small victories, too. Yesterdays triumph was getting a 3 foot piece of angle iron for $1 at the scrap yard. :LOL:

Now that I've got my junk power supply de-moused, rewired, and mended (one bad capacitor), on to the next thing. I have this ancient TenTec PM3A, a little radio transmitter and receiver for Morse code (CW) operation. It's most noteworthy for, well, being weird. Physically, it uses RCA jacks, the phono plugs like you may have seen behind older stereo sets, for almost all it's connections except audio, which goes through a pair of pin jacks. So...

I spent a few hours fabricating adapters. Power to RCA... Antenna (SO-239) to RCA... Telegraph key to RCA... Oh, and pin jacks to 1/8" audio connector. The RCA jacks have a hidden risk. Put any of them in the wrong connection on the radio, and POOF!

Next up... Hook the repaired power supply to the radio, and hook the radio to the mended antenna tuner & dummy load, and conduct the traditional smoke test.

Visited four wounded warriors at Brooke Army Med Ctr. They all had one simular concern~no one (other than family/friends) really seems to care that they are still fighting and getting ground up in the Afghan. Their wounds and sacrifices are just as valid as those in 2002 when the citizenry were all behind the war and thanking them for their service.

Many of these guys I saw today were in the 5th grade at that time.

We completed our garage reno today. :D

Scraped off popcorn ceiling, painted, added recessed lighting and beams. Painted the walls and put down new flooring.

'What do you do all day?'...my Aunt Fanny. :dead:

Before and after pics....

Attachments

• DSC04275.jpg
    DSC04275.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC04377.jpg
    DSC04377.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
We completed our garage reno today. :D

Scraped off popcorn ceiling, painted, added recessed lighting and beams. Painted the walls and put down new flooring.

'What do you do all day?'...my Aunt Fanny. :dead:

Before and after pics....

Nice decorative touches. That motorcycle actually looks real.

Had a moving sale this weekend. Rained pretty much all day yesterday and today. Decent turnout and sales yesterday in spite of the rain but we still had way too much stuff to get rid of so it looked like we would need to run the sale again next weekend. Instead, we took the easy way out and called everyone in the neighborhood this morning and told them to come get as much as they wanted free of charge. We told strangers they could pay $20 and take all they wanted. By 1 PM we still had the better part of a three car garage loaded. Then a nice lady came in and I offered her the same $20 deal. She asked if I was serious and i said as much as she can haul. She was very happy as her church was having a yard sale next weekend and they didn't have enough donations to make it worthwhile. She filled her Ford Explorer three times and will be coming back for another load tomorrow morning. We were ecstatic because, at the rate we were going, we were looking at having to pay someone to haul it all away. Our home is 4,300 sf and it's amazing how much stuff we had accumulated between the five of us over the last 13 years here. Virtually all of our furniture is sold too.

We ER and leave for Mexico in 20 days and we're actually ahead of schedule! Yay!!!

Cutting the weeds for the last 7 days in the morning 2 hrs/day. Get a full use & test my new weed cutter SHILT FS 90R, gas chain saw 170T & Bearcat behind the wheel gas weed cutter WT190S.
Retired on 4/26/2013, my full time boss, DW, is happy now. City boy enjoying in the ranch environment.

Now that I've got my junk power supply de-moused, rewired, and mended (one bad capacitor), on to the next thing. I have this ancient TenTec PM3A.

A PM3A - wow - one of Ten Tec's first transceivers. I had one in the very early 1970s and it was a lot of fun. Even had the matching antenna tuner. Of course, really low QRP output and a regenerative receiver made things interesting. Currently using a TT Argonaut V - several generations removed from that original PM series.

Spent a bit of time today manually programming frequencies into a TH-F6A I picked up recently. That plus food shopping.

A PM3A - wow - one of Ten Tec's first transceivers. I had one in the very early 1970s and it was a lot of fun. Even had the matching antenna tuner. Of course, really low QRP output and a regenerative receiver made things interesting. Currently using a TT Argonaut V - several generations removed from that original PM series.

And it actually runs! I spent a few minutes tuning it up, ran the transmitter into a dummy load, and everything appeared to be working. I hooked it to the antenna tuner and a doublet antenna (fancy name for a couple of 30-odd foot wires and old TV antenna wire down to the house), flipped the bandswitches to 20M, and picked up hams in Fairbanks, Alaska and Windsor, CT. Some quick tests show that I'm putting out a whole watt of radio signal when transmitting, about as much power as a cell phone's transmitter, or the leakage from a microwave. It's not bad for a 44 year old $75 transceiver.

Last edited:
Sang in a concert. We performed Duruflé's Requiem and Fauré's Cantique de Jean Racine.

Took a macro pic of a wasp, and posted it on Reddit. Now at 699 likes !!!!

Bee in "Self" reflection.
I was not happy with the pic quality but liked the moment.

Nice capture! It is hard to get the little buggers to pose properly. And then they won't wait while you get the exposure settings right.

Wow, very nice photo! Thanks for showing us; I was curious too. It must have taken some patience, and I hope you didn't get stung!

As for what I have been doing, well, compared with the others who posted this weekend, nearly nothing. :2funny: I hung a large oil painting that I have, which gave me a certain satisfaction since I did it all by myself. I had to move the sofa in order to get back there. Frank would have helped me if I asked, but he knows me well enough to know that I like doing these things by myself. Anyway, it looks just the way I wanted it to look, so I am happy.

Wow, very nice photo! Thanks for showing us; I was curious too. It must have taken some patience, and I hope you didn't get stung!

No one was harmed in the shot. I was about 3 foot away, hand held. D7000 with Nikon - Micro 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR

Went here today for walkies with the beagles, after a great lunch at the Flying Fish Grill.

A perfect day.

Attachments

• Half Moon Bay 050613.jpg
    Half Moon Bay 050613.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom