what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas went well, no drama at all as some were concerned about. The little tykes had a great time and their parents had a hard time getting all the stuff in their car for the drive home. And as usual about three times the amount of food that could possibly have been consumed. But I tried, how I tried!

Attachments

• Christmas_2013-1.jpg
    Christmas_2013-1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 20
My usual Thursady workout at the Y. A few regulars were present [-]whining[/-] complaining about the Decembaer Malaise, weight gain.

Afterwards went for breakfest at a recently opened diner/yarn shop. They had no breakfest menu. But said will next year. So I had a bowl of chili. About halfway through I started sneezing, my long forgotten allergies kicked in. Must be some of the volatile synthetic content of the yarn shop. Should have known better than to walk into a place like that. Curiosity could have killed this alley cat.

At home we have gotten rid of all crap that exudes noxious fumes, years ago.

Anywhoo, I wont be back there again. The usual places where I eat breakfest will be the winners of the experiment.

I had a wonderful evening at the family dinner hosted by my brother last night. Only my side of family, and 3 were out of town, but we still had 19. We all brought a side dish, and we had a smorgasbord of food that were all good.

We started at 6PM, and I stayed until 12:30AM, talking with my two brothers while we were sipping XO cognac, then XO rum, and tequila too. No, nobody was drunk, as evidenced by the fact that we talked politics and yet nobody raised his voice over any disagreement.

I will be hosting New Year Eve, and this time my wife's side will be included.

We don't celebrate Christmas so our two sons came over and we went to the movies. We chose Philomena instead of Anchorman 2 which was the right decision. The movie was very good.

Came home and had a lasagna that I had prepared the night before. DH made phone calls to his Mom and all of his siblings (Colorado and New Jersey).

Nice day together, no gifts to return and there is even a little lasagna left over.

We hosted a Christmas "dinner" for 20 people yesterday. We ate way too much -10 courses over a ~12-hour period- but it was great fun. Today we did some clean-up and we are gearing towards a very light supper tonight.

I listened to my dad and uncle try to figure out if my uncle has been getting scammed by this " give us money and you win $450000" deal. Over a little time he's given them $20000. I could only think about if he would of just invested it...

I listened to my dad and uncle try to figure out if my uncle has been getting scammed by this " give us money and you win $450000" deal. Over a little time he's given them $20000. I could only think about if he would of just invested it...
There was an article in the Wall Street Journal on this last Tuesday. The statistics for those over 60 are pretty bad. I would link the article, but I can't figure out how to link WSJ articles without a login any more.

A good friend, about 65, got scammed last summer. He was so sure he had won money, he was trying to borrow money from his friends because he had already given them everything he could get his hands on. :nonono:

Yesterday my neighbors brought me some dinner; I showed them how to take care of the house and critters while I am gone.
Today I packed for tomorrow's flight.

Went to the gym. In spite of being promised that calories consumed on Christmas don't count, apparently they do. How could I gain two pounds in one day?

Practiced forward flight in a circle with the helicopter in the family room.

My wife and I took a walk in Redwood Regional Park. Saw some ladybug swarms. Could be the warm weather? Maybe it's ladybug season in CA? Don't know enough about ladybug ecology. It was a nice day for a walk though.

Attachments

• Redwood 1.jpg
    Redwood 1.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Redwood 2.jpg
    Redwood 2.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Redwood 3.jpg
    Redwood 3.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Redwood 4.jpg
    Redwood 4.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Redwood 7.jpg
    Redwood 7.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 13

Sounds like the helicopter is working out. We had 4 of the same copters delivered here for Christmas. I was able to give some quick lessons to 2 of our guests who had never flown one before. These fly very well and are remarkably durable!

I tried mine outside for a while on Christmas day and the light winds we had here early made for some interesting flights- flying in to the wind, your copter will want to climb and away it will want to fall quickly. I know they say that they are good for out doors but didn't take much of wind to make it harder than I wanted to deal with. The battery lasts about as long as my attention span so another plus.

Be careful not to fly the helicopter on your head as it tells you on the box. :LOL:

Went to the gym. In spite of being promised that calories consumed on Christmas don't count, apparently they do. How could I gain two pounds in one day?

I was feeling pretty good about getting helicopters for the kids (22 & 23) and me. Opened them up on Christmas morning and the kids were impressed. Then we figured out each transmitter needed 6 AA batteries. :facepalm: Scrounged enough batteries to get one off the ground.

Just dropped the daughter off at the airport this morning, but she didn't have room for here helicopter, so now I have two. :D

I don't know about these flying things. With poor eye/hand coordination like I have, it would not last long. And I would have to wear goggles in case it flies into my face. Have you seen the news about how a larger 6-lb RC chopper can do?

Toy RC helicopter decapitates man [VIDEO]: Roman Pirozek, 19, scalped to death after losing control in Brooklyn park | Christian News on Christian Today

There are toy copters and then there are others...

"Pirozek was dead when police arrived at the scene involving the high-end RV model helicopter, which costs $1,500 and weighs 6 pounds. The device has a blade span of 62 inches and a rotor that spins at over 2,000rpm."

(kind of like a flying chain saw ^^^^):nonono:

I don't know about these flying things. With poor eye/hand coordination like I have, it would not last long. And I would have to wear goggles in case it flies into my face. Have you seen the news about how a larger 6-lb RC chopper can do?

The biggest mishap of the day was my daughter's hair got sucked into the tail rotor a bit. She was holding it in the palm of her hand while a friend was lifting it off. It didn't cause any problem or tangle her hair. Lots of crashes. These little guys can take quite a lot of punishment.

... Lots of crashes. These little guys can take quite a lot of punishment.
What I am afraid is to slice my or someone else's eyeballs with this thing.

I used to be involved in RC planes with my son. After a few crashes, I did not find that to be fun, and only built planes with my son for him to fly. I am no good at this stuff.

What I am afraid is to slice my or someone else's eyeballs with this thing.

I used to be involved in RC planes with my son. After a few crashes, I did not find that to be fun, and only built planes with my son for him to fly. I am no good at this stuff.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep my eyes closed when I fly the thing.:LOL:

Yeah. One can't be too careful. :cool:

So, my Quicken screen bottom line went up another 0.28% yesterday, with my stocks going up 0.54%, while the US indices were all slightly down. Ah, as a non-indexer, I have always found contrarian days like that interesting, although things tend to move together most of the time.

Such ebullience in the market. A 10% correction may come anytime, but I suspect the market may still inch up another 1% or 2%. I am not planning on spending any of this gain. Might [-]book some profits[/-] rebalance or write some covered calls.

Toy RC helicopter decapitates man [VIDEO]: Roman Pirozek, 19, scalped to death after losing control in Brooklyn park | Christian News on Christian Today

I saw the article on that. Strange that he couldn't see that one coming....

Oh. Am I being insensitive again?:D

We went to a mellow biker bar on the other end of the island.

Went to a Thai restaurant with family, never been to one. One person had originally wanted to go to a Greek restaurant, but when we met there, that turned out to be closed on Mondays. How rude.

The Thai place was across the street and we went there. I like spicy food and wasn't disappointed. On some dishes this place offered spicing on a scale of 1 to 9 - I chose 8 and the waitress raised an eyebrow and said "Are you sure?". Hmmm. Perhaps I should reconsider - okay, make it a 7. That turned out to be just right. I only sweated a little bit, meaning it didn't drip off me.

Good stuff.

Since my retirement on 12/20 I've done pretty much what I wanted to do, which was nothing! It's been bliss so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom