what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what did you do today?

I cancelled our daily newspaper delivery. Instead of $40/month it will now cost $9.60/month for a daily digital subscription and Sunday delivery of a real paper. Will see how it goes.

I cancelled our daily newspaper delivery. Instead of $40/month it will now cost $9.60/month for a daily digital subscription and Sunday delivery of a real paper. Will see how it goes.

I did that a few months ago, BWE. I was worried about how I would spend that first hour after waking up without a New York Times in my hands after 30 years. I adapted to the electronic version pretty easily (plus the crosswords!). The NYtimes has just introduced a new way of reading the "daily paper" that I really like. And they're incorporating more and more video and interactive features on the site that I enjoy.

However, I still kinda listen for the "thunk" of the paper hitting the sidewalk outside my place... :)

The Thai place was across the street and we went there. I like spicy food and wasn't disappointed. On some dishes this place offered spicing on a scale of 1 to 9 - I chose 8 and the waitress raised an eyebrow and said "Are you sure?". Hmmm. Perhaps I should reconsider - okay, make it a 7. That turned out to be just right. I only sweated a little bit, meaning it didn't drip off me.

Thus proving that with age comes wisdom. Did the same thing then I was in my 20s, except when she asked if I was sure I said yes. Scorched every orifice on my body.

Just finished cleaning up after hosting a New Year Eve lunch with most siblings from both our sides of family. Twenty five total, although some nieces and nephews have moved out of town, and are not in town for the occasion.

Everybody brought something, so it was more of a potluck. I made grilled lemon chicken, and grilled shrimp, served with pearl couscous tossed with grilled zucchini, onion, and bell peppers. It took me one hour to grill all that outside in the morning, but the temperature was 65F, so it was not too bad, and I really enjoyed the grilling.

Four hours later, after a few bottles of Chimay, red and white wine, plus the obligatory brandy sipping, people have all left. After helping my wife cleaning up, I am curled up with the laptop in my lap (it does sound redundant!), surfing the Web, waiting for some late MFs to report in with the day's gain.

How can life get better than this? I guess it can with more money, but it will be just marginally so.

Went out with bud and caught supper (lookdown, snapper, and sand brim).
Currently looking at all insurance options.

DW and I went to see "Saving Mr. Banks". It was a good film, better than I expected. We then went to a local Indian restaurant and had an enjoyable meal.

Thanks to all who joined us in last night celebrating DW's birthday!

Figured out how much I wanted to withdraw for all of 2014, and it is on its way through cyberspace from Vanguard to my bank. (I prefer to only withdraw once each year, to reduce the complexity and make mistakes less likely).

Then I rebalanced my portfolio, as is my custom during the first week in January.

Since this is a holiday, naturally none of it will actually be reflected in my Vanguard or bank balances today. But I am so glad to have that all completed.

I also figured out exactly what percentage I spent this past year, by three methods:
(1) the standard SWR method
(2) the "percent of the balance at the first of the year" method (my favorite)
(3)the "percent of my lowest balance on 3/9/2009".
All three were satisfactory IMO so that's nice to know.

Also I was finally able to find out how much I earned in dividends in 2013, and was relieved to find out that my spending did not exceed my dividends. It was very close, whew! :LOL:

After doing these and quite a few other little analyses and computations that I like to do on each January 1, I am very happy (since I love playing with numbers in Excel). :D My brain is also a little bit fried. :blink: I am completely confident in my numbers, and I think this whole how-much-to-withdraw decision process is getting easier for me now that I have been in decumulation phase a few years.

Off to lunch with Frank in a little while. It should be challenging to find a restaurant that is open today.

Last edited:
W2R -

I pretty much did the same routine.

Just put in the orders to rebalance my accounts and also set up the automatic withdrawals for 2014 from my VG money market account to my checkbook.

Taking a little break for a late lunch...then I'll putz around to set up my 2014 budget either later today or tomorrow.

The snow is falling and falling outside so that makes the process actually easier.

Like you said, glad to have the chore done and out of the way :D

DW informs me that based on weather forecasts she isn't going outside until March at the earliest. She shares my aversion to cold weather and especially snow. Whatever will we do?>:D

Played around with the toy helicopter and a macro lens while the batteries were charging back up. Amazing how they can fit all that functionality into that circuit board slightly larger than a postage stamp.

Attachments

• Heli_components-1.jpg
    Heli_components-1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Heli_components-2.jpg
    Heli_components-2.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Heli_components-3.jpg
    Heli_components-3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Heli_components-4.jpg
    Heli_components-4.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 9
Today I figured out next year's budget and did a little rebalancing which was hard since I did not want any more bonds so I went with more cash until I figure out what to do with it . I also undecorated my house and made black bean soup with the leftover ham bone .

Dinner: roast duck, steamed asparagus, baked potato; after dinner: dry sack.
financials and errands to be done tomorrow.

First emergency of the year. My son cut his hand last night and had to go to the hospital to get it stitched up. He got to the hospital about 3 and left about 8 in the morning. No serious issues with the cut. The good news is that he and his friends rent a party bus every year so no driving issues. Of course this happened after the bus, but at least he had the good sense to take a taxi. I'm sure I'll get to exercise the medical insurance and his deductible on this one. Oh and BTW, he said they had a great time before he cut his hand!

Happy New Year + 1 :dance:

It's been a while since I visited...so I figured the best way to start off my New Year was to log on and say hello. Except I put it off for 1 day. :D

Life is very good up here in perpetual lake effect snow land. I heard an unconfirmed report of 199 inches total snowfall for Redfield NY. The good news is I don't live there. :LOL: The bad news is it isn't all that far away. :(

Anyway...I'll log on here and there during the winter months. I've been more active on Facebook lately. Time to hang out here for a spell. :cool:

I think I'll be indoors all day today...
NWS Enhanced Radar Mosaic: Northeast Sector Loop

I sponge-mopped the outside and bottom of my gutters. :D

A couple of weeks ago we got our roof replaced, so the gutters were looking kinda ratty.

I had the idea I might like to spray paint them to spruce them up a bit, but I needed to wipe them down first. (Thank goodness we have a small house.)

I wiped off the dirt, and hey, they looked like new!

Tired of climbing up and down the ladder for the cleaning, I got out the sponge mop and the hose and went back at it with a bucket of Simple Green. All done.

Last edited:
Happy New Year, Freebird! We are getting a blast of winter here, too, in southwestern PA. Of course, we are pikers in the weather department compared to upstate NY, the Dakotas, MN, Winnepeg and places mentioned by others. We got a few inches of snow today and and snow showers expected overnight, with a high of only 15 degrees tomorrow. I have field visits to make in the p.m. and all I can say is "Thank goodness for heated car seats!" And, yes, retirement in July 2014 is still the brass ring for me.

Ran several errands and bought various things.
Had fish caught two days ago for supper(mangrove snapper).

Drove 12 hours with DW and four dogs, pulling a 6x12 trailer crammed to the brim, on our way to sunny FL. First time snowbirding! It will be interesting to see if the MD house will still be there when we get back.

Currently lying in bed (with laptop) in a hotel outside Savannah, listening to the aforementioned DW and 4 dogs snoring in contrapuntal splendor. I think I need some Scotch.

Eh, didn't you have a 2nd home in coastal MD or some place like that? I guess you have decided to move further south.

Actually, we're renting out the VA home, making FL our primary residence, and going back and forth from there to the MD house.

DH and I spent a couple of hours at the Circle B Bar Reserve in the Lakeland, FL area. Walked about 4.5 miles looking at the birds and alligators.

Attachments

• Circle B Bar Reserve - Ibis.jpg
    Circle B Bar Reserve - Ibis.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Circle B Bar Reserve - Alligator.jpg
    Circle B Bar Reserve - Alligator.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • Circle B Bar Reserve - Heron.jpg
    Circle B Bar Reserve - Heron.jpg
    864.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Circle B Bar Reserve - Alligator Alley.jpg
    Circle B Bar Reserve - Alligator Alley.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
DH and I spent a couple of hours at the Circle B Bar Reserve in the Lakeland, FL area. Walked about 4.5 miles looking at the birds and alligators.

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Went for a walk in the (Florida) cold of low 50s; played pool for the first time in 25+ years (sank four in a row); heat has turned on (below 50F in S Florida).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom