what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donate it to a college or high school sculpture class for a budding Michelangelo to work on.

Is it that distinctive plain headstone we see at Arlington and other cemeteries? Unless that style those used by non veterans too, I wouldn't think someone who wasn't in the service would re-engrave it (and if they were, I guess they would just get their own through the VA), but maybe.

Donating it to a school is a thought. There is one nearby that does have sculpture classes. If we can't use it DW might go for that.

It is just a granite slab, 2.5 feet wide, 1 foot tall, 5 inches thick, intended to be flush with the lawn at the cemetery.

As several holes in a pine tree can attest, I learned today that I need to spend a lot more time practicing before I try hunting squirrels with a revolver again.

Low and left?
MRG

No sense letting a good headstone go to waste seeing we all are going to be needing one someday! It's like a friend of mine who pre-paid for his cremation 20 years ago.

Put it in the front yard with a sign, "the LAST guy who tried to break into my house." cheaper than an alarm system....

Breaking in a new pair of ski boots, so I spent the day on trails that were a bit more challenging than I usually use, to give the new boots a good workout.

Nothing major, just double blues and a few blacks.

Haven't had so much fun in years. New boots are awesome!

Alas, tomorrow I hit the road again for the trip back home. I used to live in Colorado, and would move back here, but DW doesn't see that happening, and she's in charge of that department.

Went to the doctor. Now have two prescriptions. Getting old sucks moose balls.

I taught a half day of Science to 7th and 8th graders today as their teacher had a late afternoon Dr.'s appt. Tomorrow I get to teach math all day to 7th graders! My certification is in middle grades math and I really do enjoy teaching math.

Since I've subbed at this school at least 30 times this year in virtually every core subject, all the students know Mrs. Buckeye which moderates the 'substitute-itis' the kids get when their teacher is out.

Teaching math to kids was my motivation for getting my teaching certificate but my mission has morphed into being there for the teachers. In Florida (as well as other states), teachers are over-worked and under-paid and my mission is to make their lives a little easier. Because they trust me with their kids, they can relax during the day they have to be out of the classroom. This is especially important when they are out due to sickness.

Well done, Mrs. Buckeye. My young wife is a teacher in her 25th year. It is like pulling teeth to get her to take a sick day when she is obviously ill. She worries so much about what will happen with her students if she is out.

Okay, this is a new one for me.

We got a call from the funeral home that handled FIL's funeral in December. The VA grave site marker is in and can we pick it up? Oh, and you might want to bring a truck since it is a granite slab and weighs about 200 lbs. Uh, okay.

:confused::confused:?

Turns out that DW, her sister and brother at one of the planning meetings with the funeral home had learned that FIL was eligible for this marker, having served in the Navy during WWII. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. However, it also turns out that the grave site also already has a brass or bronze marker in place and there is the very real probability/possibility that the VA marker cannot be placed there. The guy I spoke with wants to wait for the snow to melt to visually check and make sure. He'll call back next week.

So now I have a ~200 lb grave site marker in the back of my pickup truck that we may not be able to use as intended. What does one do with that? Plant it in the garden? That would look um, awkward. It probably wouldn't do much for the house resale value either.

Sigh.
This is a very common situation. You can't get a VA marker until you are dead. The usual scenario is that the veteran is a male and he dies before his wife. The wife then orders a dual VA marker. This happened with my mother. If the non-VA spouse dies first, usually the survivng veteran spouse orders a dual non-VA marker. When the veteran dies, a survivor orders a VA marker.

Many cemeteries will allow the VA marker to be installed as a footstone at the foot of the deceased veteran who has a dual non-VA marker with the spouse.

The subject marker which is designed to be flush with the ground surface should not be a problem at all.

There's no time limit on ordering the marker. In this part of the country Confederate markers (Yes, the VA furnishes Confederate markers.) are regularly placed. Most Confederate markers are marble slabs that are designed to be installed upright. They have a peaked top so that Yankees can't sit on the marker.

Last edited:
Well done, Mrs. Buckeye. My young wife is a teacher in her 25th year. It is like pulling teeth to get her to take a sick day when she is obviously ill. She worries so much about what will happen with her students if she is out.

Yes, this is exactly where I come in. I subbed three days last week for a Language Arts teacher who had some asthma fire back up when that ugly respiratory virus that's been going around hit her.

She had another sub on Monday who couldn't return. I told her I would stay the rest of the week if she needed it to provide continuity for her students. We talked Wed. am about the days lesson and she asked me to call her at the end of the day regarding her return. I asked her, "Don't we already know the answer to that question?' There was no doubt, even then, that she needed to stay home another day. Luckily, she relented and took another day of rest.

I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have stayed home that extra day (even though she needed to do so) if she had had revolving substitute teachers.

I was so relieved when I got to teach math in another class (same school) on Friday. Give me numbers!

But you're getting married soon and relocating to a climate that makes you happier. You don't seem very old to me!

Hang in there, Khan, and keep dreaming of Florida.

Hey! it could be a lot worse. Many forum members have battled problems much more serious than hypertension. You seemed to really enjoy being in Florida, based on the tone of your posts. Your wedding and your move are both good things in the offing. Just relax, cut down on the salt, and enjoy life!

Household chores, grocery shopping, watching the Winter Olympics (women's curling and women's hockey). It was a golden day for Canada 👍! I felt so sorry for the US women's hockey team, who were absolutely devastated.

Household chores, grocery shopping, watching the Winter Olympics (women's curling and women's hockey). It was a golden day for Canada 👍! I felt so sorry for the US women's hockey team, who were absolutely devastated.

Hey, that's exactly what I did as well! The comeback from Team Canada was crazy! Can't wait for the men's game!

Hey, that's exactly what I did as well! The comeback from Team Canada was crazy! Can't wait for the men's game!

Yeah, now if the guys would just listen........

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 14
Managed to trim a huge 9 foot tall pampas grass down to 2 1/2 feet. Started out with hedge clippers, then an electric hedge clipper. If I wanted it shorter, I'd have to use a chain saw or a stick of dynamite. I cried 'uncle' and called it good.

I had to wear a suit of armor to tackle it as the blades can shred skin. Yeah, it's an ominous plant, but I love the way the blades stir in the breeze and the plumes are gorgeous.

Now I just have to clean up the mess. ...maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Took the pickup for the annual state inspection. Came home, reheated leftover rice & chicken and then fell asleep for two hours.

Wow, the excitement never stops around here.

Retirement is a good thing.

image-4144376604.jpg

I didn't shop at Walmart until I retired and am now on a fixed income. Today I went there and bought air conditioner filters, light bulbs, kitchen drain, batteries and a toilet seat. One of my toilet seats cracked and I put a bandaid on it, but it eventually got bigger. It's sunny, 70 and I have the windows open. I just finished watching Downton Abbey, now I'm watching Honey Boo Boo....don't judge :)

I have $105 left in my food/pocket money allotment until March 1.....life is good!

We spent the day at the hospital, our 29 year old son had his gallbladder removed. It was outpatient, but took longer than expected as his surgeon was late and his recovery took quite a while. The procedure went just fine, he had stones and inflammation and his gallbladder was twisted and contorted.

This was done by laparoscopy which is so much easier on the patient than the old surgery. Coincidently, this week it's 31 years since I had mine removed. I was 28 and that was before laparoscopy. For mine I was in the hospital for 5 days and off work for 6 weeks. Our son was home in 8 hours and is taking a week off from work.

We brought him home with us for the weekend. We want to make sure he's not alone overnight and help him with moving around and meals for a day or two. So far, so good, he's not in a lot of pain, able to eat and feeling better than he expected. He has very good insurance through his employer and plenty of sick time so I'm glad he's taking care of this now. He had symptoms for a while but didn't realize what it was until he told me his symptoms and they sounded very familiar.

The hospital was our small community hospital. It recently was bought by a local mega-conglomerate hospital system but still has a small hospital feel. All the staff were great, nice accommodations for the patient and the family.

Long day, I'm glad it's over!

We spent the day at the hospital, our 29 year old son had his gallbladder removed. It was outpatient, but took longer than expected as his surgeon was late and his recovery took quite a while. The procedure went just fine, he had stones and inflammation and his gallbladder was twisted and contorted.

This was done by laparoscopy which is so much easier on the patient than the old surgery. Coincidently, this week it's 31 years since I had mine removed. I was 28 and that was before laparoscopy. For mine I was in the hospital for 5 days and off work for 6 weeks. Our son was home in 8 hours and is taking a week off from work.

We brought him home with us for the weekend. We want to make sure he's not alone overnight and help him with moving around and meals for a day or two. So far, so good, he's not in a lot of pain, able to eat and feeling better than he expected. He has very good insurance through his employer and plenty of sick time so I'm glad he's taking care of this now. He had symptoms for a while but didn't realize what it was until he told me his symptoms and they sounded very familiar.

The hospital was our small community hospital. It recently was bought by a local mega-conglomerate hospital system but still has a small hospital feel. All the staff were great, nice accommodations for the patient and the family.

Long day, I'm glad it's over!

Thank you for doing that, no fun sitting and waiting. Great to have that support system. You point out how different that surgery was a short time ago.

After I had mine done laparoscopy; my only issue was my diet. Turned out well, I needed to lose 25 pounds and I did. Took a year, the results were worth it.
Best wishes,
MRG

Okay, this is a new one for me.
......The VA grave site marker is in and can we pick it up? Oh, and you might want to bring a truck since it is a granite slab and weighs about 200 lbs. Uh, okay.
Turns out that DW, her sister and brother at one of the planning meetings with the funeral home had learned that FIL was eligible for this marker, having served in the Navy during WWII......

So now I have a ~200 lb grave site marker in the back of my pickup truck that we may not be able to use as intended. What does one do with that? Plant it in the garden? That would look um, awkward. It probably wouldn't do much for the house resale value either.
Sigh.

My aunt did the same thing, ordered a VA marker and there was already a marker on the gravesite. She turned the marker so the engraving was face down and used it for a stepping stone in her garden. Looks like a piece of granite.
With all the snow you've had, keeping it in the back of your truck may help with traction. Although it's not going to help your gas mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe time to buy some duct tape? :)

LOL, I thought about that when in Walmart buying the toilet seat....which turned out to be the wrong size. Back to Walmart during the week. Since retired I don't do any shopping on the weekend unless it's absolutely necessary. BTW, I didn't realize duct tape came in different colors!

Well today I did the following before noon, made coffee for us, washed laundry and put it away, washed dishes and put away, cooked breakfast for myself and DW, took the dogs to the dog park for exercise for both them and me, picked up around the house, fixed DW computer, and gave dogs bathes. Now to start the second half of the day. Still have not figured out the whole bored thing yet, maybe later.

Well today I did the following before noon, made coffee for us, washed laundry and put it away, washed dishes and put away, cooked breakfast for myself and DW, took the dogs to the dog park for exercise for both them and me, picked up around the house, fixed DW computer, and gave dogs bathes. Now to start the second half of the day. Still have not figured out the whole bored thing yet, maybe later.

You are an excellent DH! DW is lucky to have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom