what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they do that? Is the wiring not updated to handle the load, or is electricity included in the rent and they don't want to pay the bill?

That would be an absolute deal-killer for me if I was renting an apartment.

I am not sure why AC units are not allowed but it could be because of the noise, unsightly units or hoses sticking out of windows, or the fear of water damage due to condensation. Our search for a rental was arduous enough, we did not have the luxury to be picky.

While not FIRE'd yet, I took off early on Monday, and started building a trellis that I have been procrastinating about for ages. Didn't get much started, just 3 of 4 poles in the ground, and one cross-member, as it started to rain. But, it was a nice start. And felt like I accomplished something!

When we moved here in 2012, our bodies had a hard time tolerating the heat because we were so used to the AC being cranked up at home, in the car, and pretty much everywhere else. But we've adapted and the heat is now more bearable.
I had the very opposite experience with my move from LA to SF. I had been used to living without A/C in Los Angeles, and rode my bicycle outside a lot so was acclimatized to that heat. For my first year in the Bay Area, I lived in the very western part of SF, a few blocks from the beach in Ocean Beach. It was a ground floor unit with no heating and I moved there in January. I shivered a lot during those first few months. It was damp and chilly - the kind of cold you feel in your bones, and I wondered how people could possibly exist here. My body adapted, but the Southern California climate had really babied me.

It's interesting how there are so many different micro climates in SF. Where I lived, out by the coast, I didn't see the sun a whole lot during July, which came as a surprise. There were many completely overcast days there, though downtown was enjoying the sun. The area around 9th and Irving was the first place I had ever seen fog actually roll down the street. The weather sure is interesting in SF.

According to the Web, SF will hit 87F high today with 40% humidity. Phoenix will hit a high of 88F, but with 8% humidity.

Having lived in the SW for so long, I am so used to the dry air. I have found that temperature in the mid 80s is not so bad when the air is dry. Even up to the high 80s is still OK with a breeze.

When RV'ing and camping in places without electric hookup, I prefer to be in a place where it's cool or even cold at night. It is difficult for me to sleep with the temperature warmer than 80F.

Having lived in the SW for so long, I am so used to the dry air. I have found that temperature in the mid 80s is not so bad when the air is dry. Even up to the high 80s is still OK with a breeze.

When RV'ing and camping in places without electric hookup, I prefer to be in a place where it's cool or even cold at night. It is difficult for me to sleep with the temperature warmer than 80F.
I lived in Reno for 3 years and loved that dry desert heat. Even when it got up to and past 100, it didn't bother me a whole lot because I didn't perspire. However, as you imply, humidity can make even a relatively modest 80F quite miserable.

The combination of heat and humidity turn me into a non-productive slug.

Well, you did perspire but as the sweat instantly dried up, it cooled your body.

Here, even when the air temperature is in the 100-110F range (38-43C), people shiver when they get out of the swimming pool! The evaporation makes you cold. I always have towels handy to dry myself up. Then, it's OK to relax and sip that cool drink. :)

I had the very opposite experience with my move from LA to SF. I had been used to living without A/C in Los Angeles, and rode my bicycle outside a lot so was acclimatized to that heat. For my first year in the Bay Area, I lived in the very western part of SF, a few blocks from the beach in Ocean Beach. It was a ground floor unit with no heating and I moved there in January. I shivered a lot during those first few months. It was damp and chilly - the kind of cold you feel in your bones, and I wondered how people could possibly exist here. My body adapted, but the Southern California climate had really babied me.

It's interesting how there are so many different micro climates in SF. Where I lived, out by the coast, I didn't see the sun a whole lot during July, which came as a surprise. There were many completely overcast days there, though downtown was enjoying the sun. The area around 9th and Irving was the first place I had ever seen fog actually roll down the street. The weather sure is interesting in SF.

I live in the very eastern part of SF which is much sunnier, warmer, and drier than the western side. But I never leave home without a down jacket in my backpack because, in SF, you just never know what how the weather is going to evolve. As of this hour, the temperatures in SF vary from 64F near the golden Gate Bridge to 85F on the bay side. It's quite a gradient for a city only 7-mile wide.

But I never leave home without a down jacket in my backpack because, in SF, you just never know what how the weather is going to evolve.
Yes - and you can always tell who the tourists are because they are the ones wearing shorts and t-shirts in the late summer afternoons, unaware that as the sun goes down, it could well become quite chilly. Sometimes I look at them and think to myself, "You have no idea, but in about an hour from now, you'll find out!"

Yes - and you can always tell who the tourists are because they are the ones wearing shorts and t-shirts in the late summer afternoons, unaware that as the sun goes down, it could well become quite chilly. Sometimes I look at them and think to myself, "You have no idea, but in about an hour from now, you'll find out!"

I have never been colder than I was when living in that area! The fog can be so bone-chilling. I didn't have a down jacket, though. :D That sounds nice.

Sold some IRA funds today.

Just a little bit- $45k total in 2-3 accounts.

AND I DO NOT LIKE THIS DANING GUY;)
:dance:

I am still hanging around, waiting for the guys to finish installing the countertops, then I can hook up the plumbing, and my wife can put her "stuff" into the new cabinets.

I saw them drilling faucet holes through the granite with a diamond hole saw quicker than I drilled through a wood door for the door lock.

I love ribs. Do you use a wet or dry rub, sweet or spicy?

Over time, I've used all the above, but I've gradually settled on Dizzy Dust (a dry rub) as my all-around favorite. I use it on most grilled meats.

My other favorite (not for ribs) is my own homemade beer marinade.

Out for a great eight mile run this morning. Can't get over how wonderful it felt. This was my first time at that distance since January, and it did what my soul obviously needed.

I had registered for a half-marathon this month but had to pass on it. I broke my toe in February and lost so much training time that it was just impossible.

Now I'm looking forward to another half-marathon at the end of this summer, and already getting psyched up for it.

Busy day. Went to great uncle's graveside service and fellowship lunch. Visited a friend. Got DW's truck inspected and an estimate to repair some rust and dents she has put in it. Picked up three 1/2 gallons of maple syrup (2 to send to a friend, one for us). Went to bank.

Busy day. Went to great uncle's graveside service and fellowship lunch. Visited a friend. Got DW's truck inspected and an estimate to repair some rust and dents she has put in it. Picked up three 1/2 gallons of maple syrup (2 to send to a friend, one for us). Went to bank.

That's a lotta pancakes!

Picked up three 1/2 gallons of maple syrup

Boy, what a memory.
Every year, since I was a little kid, our family had the traditional April drive up to Vermont to buy maple syrup from a local farmer. One of the truly special flavors in the world!

In later life, I did it myself but stopped a few years ago when I transitioned to a low carb diet. I still sneak a little now and then, but just as a treat. I also still have a couple of gallons in the freezer, where it will keep indefinitely. When I run out some years from now, I'll probably go back for more.

DW was volunteering at church for a fund raiser, so I hopped in the old Beetle and went for a drive, stopped off and visited some old haunts, then came home, made a few phone calls and messed with the camera a bit until DW got home. Had a late lunch together at 3, played some board games, then messed in the studio some more.

My handyman and his two helpers installed my new metal side door this morning (see below), and I am so completely thrilled. I still need to get my painter over here to paint it but it works extremely smoothly and is very solidly installed.

Since it is metal, it won't get stuck shut or blow open when the weather changes, like my old door did. Also, it has interior blinds between glass, so that they will never need to be cleaned, and a keypad deadbolt which will be wonderful to have.

This made my day! :D

Attachments

• newdoor.jpg
    newdoor.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 40
Very nice.

My daughter and son-in-law had one just like yours installed last week. Those internal blinds are the cat's PJs!

Yes, they are! I was a little uncertain about them, but my handyman says he installs them all the time and nobody he knows has had any problems with them.

Went to Bruce Springsteen show, stood six people deep center stage. Got home at 1:30, slept till 9:30, lounged around for another couple hours. Don't think we could do this at 65, so ER makes it work! :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We have the blinds built into our sliding glass doors and really like them. Haven't had any issues in the 6 years we have had them.

I just for the first time saw one of those keypad locks yesterday. Interesting. We have a conventional entry door lock and have a keypad hide-a-key outside in case we lose or forget our entry key.

Nice door W2R. I was thinking - does that keypad use batteries? I like the keypad idea

Yes, it uses one 9-V battery that is supposed to last a long time. Most people change the battery once a year whether it is depleted or not. I intend to change mine on January 1st each year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom