what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went on a hike to a high plateau with my dad, my sister, and an 80 year old grandmother who put us all to shame (she made it first to the top!). We had a picnic of bread, country ham, saussage, and white wine. Had a great time until the fog forced us to retreat.

View attachment 19016

Your time back home sounds like such fun, and so idyllic. What a wonderful region in which to have grown up. Also I am glad you are taking photos that you can look back on when you are away. The 80 year old grandmother sounds like quite an amazing person!

Well, I guess that's what I did today...killed a bug. Oh, might as well say what I also did. Went to a flea market in a very small town with my daughter. We walked more than 8000 steps looking at junk. We then had a nice lunch at a quiet outdoor table at a local lodge. Very nice day.

A short fence finally gave out from rot around a post base. So, I demolished it. The new post and rails are baking in the sun until I get around to installing them. The cedar boards that faced the old fence will be trimmed slightly and recycled onto the new fence.

It's the circle of lumber.

Or something...

My son and some of his friends were here last night and we stayed out until about 3 am hoping the Camelopardalid meteor shower would turn out to be a big one. We saw a few meteors but it was pretty much a bust. We had a nice fire, smores, and good company so no real downside but tired this morning!

I only peeked a few times before going to bed ( ~ 11PM), maybe saw something once, but probably not. Was thinking of setting an alarm to wake up nearer the peak time of ~ 3AM, but I didn't. Reports say the hoped for potential 200/hour did not come to pass, and only ~ 5-10 per hour. Glad I didn't wake up.

But these would appear to move at about half the speed of the Perseids, so that would have been kinda cool. It was chilly last night, but no 'squitos either.

This is the first time the Earth has passed through this comet trail, I think they said gravitational pull from Jupiter kept it out of our path. Not sure if it will come again or not?

-ERD50

Tried another hand at light painting a photograph on the back porch. (Google that phrase and you'll find better examples.) It's neat in that every image is different. I want to try something bigger like a car but I need someplace very dark with lots of room to do it.

This just before the fan in the computer video card finally gave up the ghost. I'd been hearing intermittent fan bearing noises or a couple of weeks but couldn't isolate which fan but this time there was no doubt. So I had to get up early to get a new card before leaving with DW for her niece's husband's graduation party for his M.S. degree in IT.

Changed the oil and greased the tractor, mower tractor, and Mule (Kawasaki). Took a ride back to the woods and found my usual quota of ZERO morel mushroomss. Not that I care that much for them myself, but I'd like to be able to brag that I found some...

Morel mushrooms were prized higher than gold in my family. I'd give a lot to go back about 45 years and spend a day with my Mom, Dad and brother hunting morels at the cabin in Michigan.

Well, woke up, got up etc.

Yesterday at the camp was sitting on the deck when several deer walked out of the woods and performed some hedge trimming. A bit later a Doe walked out with a maybe one foot tall fawn in tow. Did not have camere handy, and did not want to move so not to startle them.

After the deer moved on decided that the deck needed a foot rest. So I proceeded to make one.

Here it is.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    345.8 KB · Views: 24
Started clearing a patch of lawn to put in raised beds. Decided to move the turf on the soil patch where my veggie garden has been. Breaking up the turf with a shovel was hard work! Better than the gym. Tomorrow I'll till the area and start leveling it. Probably will grow herbs this year.. No time for veggies.

Went on a zip line canopy tour in Harper's Ferry, WV with DW, her sister & DH, her nephew & his DW, and their 8-year-old daughter. What a great day, we had a ball! I am pretty sure some of my fingerprints are permanently imbedded in some of those cables and fixtures. The hardest part is jumping off the platform - every instinct says "Hang on for dear life!" But a second later it's fun.

I shot a bunch of pictures, some of which even came out well despite not even looking through the viewfinder and just pressing the shutter button repeatedly. The trees aren't really that close, I was using a wide-angle lens so there is some distortion from that.

We stopped for pulled pork barbecue on the way home and crashed for a while at SIL's house. Everyone was pretty tired out. The weather was perfect, 75°, light wind, and clear skies.

Attachments

• Zip_line-1.jpg
    Zip_line-1.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Zip_line-2.jpg
    Zip_line-2.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Zip_line-3.jpg
    Zip_line-3.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Zip_line-4.jpg
    Zip_line-4.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 20
Went to a pool party for Memorial Day. Rained like pee out of a boot...

I made a dish called Japanese noodle salad, called hiyashi chuka, though I didn't follow the recipe exactly. Rebel!

Basically, linguine broken into small pieces, cooked per usual, then green onions, bean sprouts, shredded cabbage, cherry tomatoes (halved), and kernel corn, with a dressing of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger powders, and salt and pepper. Yum!
A lady friend came over early, and we grilled the ingredients for homemade salsa, also for the pool party. More yum!
Was designated grillmaster, so one round of chicken, and three rounds of burgers later (small grill), I ate way too much, and had a cold brew or three. Home in beached whale mode relatively early. Good day with friends.

DW and I went to see the new X-Men film, then came home for a quiet dinner. Earlier in the day she went to the beach with DD. When they returned DD reported seeing a small shark (baby?) in the water where people stand. Some kids were chasing the shark, encouraged by their parents.

Went out to lunch with DW, DD + BF to a local place adjacent to a shopping mall. The mall is packed. What is it about Memorial day that so many are out shopping?

Did some morning gardening - mostly pruning and cutting back to declutter the front planters.

Then went for a walk with my wife on the beach.

Enjoyed some home grown salad and left over steak from last night (boy it tastes great cold sliced), and a cold beer for a lite lunchtime snack.

Now....just relaxing on the back patio with some jazz playing on the audio system.

Packing up to go camping now that the pesky holiday weekend is almost over. Will be boon docking in a national forest in upper lower Michigan. (Holds up right palm and points to location, like a good Michiganian). :D

Yeah, Travelover, I hear you about holidays.

I had it in mind to walk around our local reservoir today, early, before it warmed up. Halfway there it dawned on me that it was a holiday. Sure enough, the path was like a freeway. I normally walk it on a nice calm weekday morning.

I'm so glad I'm not working anymore and no longer have to cram fun things into holiday (or normal) weekends. :)

Stopped by our local family owned grocery store on the walk back to pick up ingredients for cucumber soup. Snipped the dill for it from a pot on my patio. It's "cooking" in the refrigerator now.

what did you do today?

We spent five nights camped near Ogunquit Maine. Stashed ourselves there to wait out the holiday weekend. Left this morning for Camden. Stopped in Freeport, of course, and spent most the day at LL Beans. Picked up a nice lock knife for DW to tether to her PFD when canoeing, and a two wheel carrier to assist portaging the canoe. Found a couple of shirts for me 'we' like. Wore myself out. Found a beautiful sea kayak 'we' didn't like sufficiently to spend the money. *sigh*. finally hit Camden, and we'll hang here three nights before heading toward Moosehead Lake, where that kayak would have performed beautifully...

Put out my flag. Took the roadster out of the garage and drove over to Mystic for lunch. Watched the Memorial Day parade while we were there. Drove the long way back, including a trip on the Chester-Hadlyme Ferry across the Connecticut River. Getting ready to grill some Aleppo Pepper Chicken Kebabs.

The mall is packed. What is it about Memorial day that so many are out shopping?

Ah, that's why the gym was so deserted. We almost had the place to ourselves.

Woke up at 0400, did some photo editing, stopped by here, read the paper, made a four-egg omelet with ham & jalapeno peppers, then went back to sleep for two hours. Went to the gym with DW, mowed the grass, and I'll call it a day.

Yesterday was "get out of the house" day so I went to see "Wolf of Wall St.". I didn't find it all that enjoyable or pleasant.
That was what was in store for movie night last night (my daughter 'found' the movie and downloaded the mp4). I found it just plain disturbing, through and through. And then people wonder why salesmen earn a bad name for themselves. NOT recommended!

image-951689291.jpg

I bought a TV with some of my winnings from my Louisiana trip last week. The Geek Squad will be here Wednesday to install. 39" LED HDTV 120Hz smart TV.

Enjoyed watching it rain for almost an entire day. A total of 4.5 inches, the most we've seen in almost three years. Our local lake has risen over four feet in the past 24 hours. Only 90 more feet to go until it is full. :nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom