what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made my 2014 Roth IRA contribution ($6500) today. That's the only tax-favored option left to me. I have self-employment income to make it legitimate.

But I'm retired so I'm high as a flag on the Fourth of July! :)

I made my 2014 Roth IRA contribution ($6500) today. That's the only tax-favored option left to me. I have self-employment income to make it legitimate.

But I'm retired so I'm high as a flag on the Fourth of July! :)

All I have left is a Solo 401K. I still consult part time and feed the account that way to offset paying income tax on the income. Being 70 1/2, I have to take an annual RMD from that account also. :blush:

Helped my dad with his vegetable garden. Had a traditional farmhouse lunch - head cheese and tripe flushed down with wine and local eau-de-vie. Hiked to a spot with a great view of Mont Blanc:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1400703607.199230.jpg

Went on a 20 mile kayak float down the Upper White River with my 24 year old step daughter. It was a blast, but 8 hours of kayaking reminds me that I am not 24 years old any more. Great memories!

Escaped the house yesterday evening while DW is on a cleaning rampage. She's hosting a book club meeting tomorrow night so no speck of dust shall be tolerated, and says she's better off if I'm not "underfoot". I went to a photo class and took pictures at a city park.

6 mile run on the Kohala coast then 2 hours snorkeling at the beach ... a 1 hour nap .. then prepared a tasty dinner... Not a bad day !

Finally finished the roof project. All the new wood and fascia was painted and new gutters were put up yesterday. Had the house treated for termites.

Your poor wallet...
Tell me about it. :)

Actually, during '12 I did what FIREd suggested here and took some gains out of the portfolio to rebuild our "large cash commitments & capital spending budget". My hand still trembles when I write the checks, but it's not a budget crusher and doesn't need to be offset. :)

That's great news, Khan! May you enjoy many years of happiness together.

Khan, I am so happy for you and your fiance! It's nice to hear that your wedding plans are moving forward.

Went on a hike to a high plateau with my dad, my sister, and an 80 year old grandmother who put us all to shame (she made it first to the top!). We had a picnic of bread, country ham, saussage, and white wine. Had a great time until the fog forced us to retreat.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1400924889.954731.jpg

Any symptoms since then? Don't discount anything.

No symptoms. The doc gave me a prescription for a couple of antibiotic pills each time. Since then I've picked one tick from my leg without breaking it off. Also using a liberal amount of tick spray.

Yesterday I hiked about 10 miles without the spray and had no ticks. Hopefully peak tick season may be over

I had to clean my boat before AND after use. Just sitting, even with a cover, the boat collects a fair amount of dust and grime...

That is probably best practice but I loathe the idea of cleaning it in the fall only to have to clean it again in the spring, so I just wait until spring.

BTW, how in the world do they collect such dust and grime just sitting there covered? A mystery to me but it still makes me :mad:.

A few weeks ago, we noticed that a red fox family had taken up residence under the garden shed in the back yard. Mom had two kits, and we have seen them practically every day foraging in the yard and surrounding woods.

The kits spend nearly as much time playing with each other as they do foraging, and it's a real joy to watch them. Here's one of them in the driveway just wondering what that camera click sound means.

Attachments

• fox kit.jpg
    fox kit.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 24
Just be careful if you have any pets. We believe a couple of our cats were prey of fox (many years ago). As for me, I'd shoo them away if they were near to my house.

My son and some of his friends were here last night and we stayed out until about 3 am hoping the Camelopardalid meteor shower would turn out to be a big one. We saw a few meteors but it was pretty much a bust. We had a nice fire, smores, and good company so no real downside but tired this morning!

A few weeks ago, we noticed that a red fox family had taken up residence under the garden shed in the back yard. Mom had two kits, and we have seen them practically every day foraging in the yard and surrounding woods.

The kits spend nearly as much time playing with each other as they do foraging, and it's a real joy to watch them. Here's one of them in the driveway just wondering what that camera click sound means.

Hmmm...if I flagged this as inappropriate...so sorry! I'm on my iPad on my deck and trying to squish a little bug on my screen. Not a good thing to do when your reading on an iPad and not paying attention to where your finger is. I saw something that said flag as inappropriate and have no idea if I flagged it or not!

Hmmm...if I flagged this as inappropriate...so sorry! I'm on my iPad on my deck and trying to squish a little bug on my screen. Not a good thing to do when your reading on an iPad and not paying attention to where your finger is. I saw something that said flag as inappropriate and have no idea if I flagged it or not!

I just checked and didn't see any report of it to the moderator team. I agree, it seems quite appropriate! (Beautiful photo, Braumeister!) Hope you got the bug, at least. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom