what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it better to cut and split it and then stack it since there is more surface area of the split wood that is exposed to air and drys out quicker? That's the thinking around here.

You're probably right. I don't think there's a huge difference in my case, because the trees have been dead for a year. But I'll certainly split some of it now.

Split and dried wood also burns better (better being more surface area exposed and more completely).

(I used to heat my Connecticut home with a wood stove during the oil embargo years).

Ripped out our old kitchen counters. New ones get installed tomorrow. So thankful we finally got rid of the old ones.

Walked 18 for the first time in a while. Felt good...and didn't seem to affect my game. But, my feet sure are tired. :cool:

Woke up this morning about 3:20 a.m. to a strong earthquake. Big jolt and then rolling for awhile. We're about 40 miles from the epicenter. No damage at my house. DH slept through it.

Glad you weathered it well.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I just returned from a five day visit with my Mother . She is 98 and in reasonable health but aging has taken a toll on her hearing & sight .Seeing how small her world is now really reminded me to enjoy life while I still can .

I just returned from a five day visit with my Mother . She is 98 and in reasonable health but aging has taken a toll on her hearing & sight .Seeing how small her world is now really reminded me to enjoy life while I still can .
I'm so glad you got to spend some time with your mom. :flowers:

Yes indeed...enjoy life. :) Don't take a day for granted.

Two doctor appointments, one with the GP and one with the cardiac surgeon. Both say that I will continue to be a drag on the pension system for the foreseeable future.:dance:

Technically, I know I shouldn't really participate in this thread - I am still working, albeit only for a couple more weeks.

Anyway, my day at work involved me falling into a pool of toxic sludge, up to my neck... skin very quickly started to sting and burn, and I was sent home early to shower the substance away.

I really can't wait until I can participate in this thread legitimately. These next weeks are going to be cruel torture. Why is it that my last job with my company is probably the single worst project I've been on in 24 years? :(

I suppose it will make my last day on Sept. 12 all the sweeter.... :cool:

CANNOT wait to join the FIRE'd brigade on this site!

Oil change & a set of new tires on the wife's car. Lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant, which is next to the tire place. Now, just sitting in the recliner, posting on this forum. Retirement is good....... :)

Oh, it is 6pm. Time for my gin martini....extra dry of course...two olives and shaken not stirred.

Anyway, my day at work involved me falling into a pool of toxic sludge, up to my neck... skin very quickly started to sting and burn, and I was sent home early to shower the substance away.

YIKES!!! No wonder you are anxious for your ER date! Hope there is no lasting effect (other than OMY Syndrome Prevention :nonono:)

After morning 2-mile walk, picked up a book at the library, bought birthday card for DD, and returned a shirt I bought last week that had a hole in it. Then yoga class and home for a quick lunch (Costco salmon burgers). Wrapped DD's birthday gift and packed it up with last week's mail for her (she is in between addresses so we are her PO Box for another few weeks). Off to the endodontist - the steroids he prescribed two weeks ago did not really settle my angry tooth down, but after sitting and waiting in the dental chair for 45 minutes, he insisted it doesn't really hurt :confused::confused::confused:. He'll finish off the root canal next week and if it is still painful, it will be off to the oral surgeon for another procedure.

Went to the PO to mail DD's package - was very pleased it all fit in a small flat rate box so only $5.80 for priority mail. Then went to the grocery store nearby. Big mistake - it was 3:30 pm when I got there and today was the first day of school in that part of town (tomorrow is the first day out here). It was a madhouse. Just makes me appreciate my normal shopping routine (mornings) more.

Spent the emorning kayaking, then stopped for $tarbuck$ and Oatmeal Raisin cookie.
Lazed some of the afternoon, then split some wood and added them to the stack.

Cruised the Interweb.

A few more weeks and SeaKyaker can participate in the leisurely activites.

Short version:
We got robbed.

Long version:
I walked about 3 miles to the public library to return a book & check out one I had on hold. Then DH picked me up and we went to a local diner for pie & coffee -- undoing all the good I did on the 3 mile walk :D

Then we got home and surprised a thief who had broken into our house during the hour or so while DH was gone. We didn't come face-to-face with the scumbag, he ran out of the house while we were in our backyard looking at a window screen that was lying in the yard. Turns out it was the screen from the window he pried open to get into the house. :mad:

He made off with a couple of laptop computers, my Nexus tablet, and a few pieces of jewelry, including my late mother's engagement ring. :( I suppose it could have been worse, we had obviously surprised him.

The rest of the afternoon was spent dealing with police, the insurance co, and changing all our passwords. I have to say the two police officers who came to our home were great to deal with. And our insurance company took our claim with no hassle whatsoever, it probably helped that this was our first claim in 25 years. So all in all, it wasn't too bad.

We're now looking into home security/video monitoring systems. :blush:

Last edited:
We got robbed.

We're now looking into home security/video monitoring systems. :blush:

Bummer! That is disconcerting. Apart from the hassle and loss of irreplaceable valuables, it must make you feel violated. I can quite understand why you want to instal a security system. When I bought my first home in 1991, this was the first home improvement I made (within 3 weeks of moving in). The alarm company said that a large proportion of their customers had chosen to install systems after experiencing a robbery.

Rosie, very sorry to hear about your break-in and glad nothing was taken other than 'stuff'.

We had a very similar incident many years ago, came home after dark and went into the back yard (rear-entrance garage) to check on our new puppy while our two small children went into the house. The kids turned on the inside lights and opened the patio curtain and we looked up see the contents of all the drawers in our bedroom dumped all over the bed and floor behind them. We apparently interrupted the crook(s) in the act and they went out the front door as we came home.

Even though that was 30 years ago, three things are still burned into my memory:

- The shock of realizing we sent our two small kids into that house when the burglar may have still been inside
- The violation and loss of personal security we felt for a long time afterwards
- The response from the 911 operator when I called in the "robbery", who took the time out of her busy schedule to lecture me about the difference between a "robbery" and a "burglary" and once she was done, then ask me if I still wanted to report a "robbery". Sanctimonious beeatch.

Fortunately the officers who responded were far more professional.

Rosie, sorry to hear about the break in.

Our house was broken into on Christmas day a few years ago while we were gone. The thief broke the sliding door at the rear of the house and gained entry to the kitchen. They (He) got out with only a laptop that was on the counter as our Golden Retriever was probably on their case within a few seconds.

Cop that came to the house was not much help as he said he investigates 10+ of these break ins daily. :facepalm: He did ask me if I had a gun in the house because if I don't have one, he can't be here to protect us if another break in happens while we are home. So now we have protection in place.

- The response from the 911 operator when I called in the "robbery", who took the time out of her busy schedule to lecture me about the difference between a "robbery" and a "burglary" and once she was done, then ask me if I still wanted to report a "robbery". Sanctimonious beeatch.

Apologize for troubling the operator, then mention that you have a weapon, will clear the house, and contact the coroner if needed. Apologize again for bothering them.

In our little community, you'd be amazed at how many officers show up in very short order.
:nonono:

(Badly trained 911 operators are a hazard to all parties.)

Thank you so much for your kind comments and helpful advice, folks. And for giving me a chuckle or two.

And Ron, I really appreciate the link, that's precisely what we're considering!

It's just stuff, and we were really lucky, considering the alternatives. We're taking steps now to better secure our doors & windows, long overdue but at least it's being done.

Thanks again, you guys are great. :flowers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom