what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting! No, until I can get off these prescriptions I'm staying off a bike. Not just for me, but for DW, who would be the one stuck taking care of me because of my own stubbornness. With that much at stake I can give up the bike until all this settles out.

Tough news about the bike but like your approach towards dealing with it!

Had a busy day yesterday dealing with a friends computer. He had about 500 pieces of malware, viruses and a trojan horse on his system. I had suggested a virus blocker to him about 6 months ago but he forgot about it. So we got it cleaned up and installed Malware Bytes, AVG, and Microsoft security essentials. I showed him how to use the software; I hope he uses it. Today is going to be quiet; did my exercise bike ride and am going to stay home and listen to music. It's 7 degrees with a 10mph northwest wind.

Half-marathon this morning. At the start, it was 21°F and only got up to 30 by the finish. Still, a nice course, wonderful friendly people, and a delightful morning in all.

I felt a little out of shape, so I took it slow and easy for the first 11 miles, then worked just a bit harder for the last couple. Much to my surprise, I beat my time from the last half-marathon in September. Who says us old farts can't improve? :dance:

Having a Tito's Vodka Martini with a splash of vermouth.....shaken..not stirred..over a frozen martini glass with three olives..

A day at the mancave. A few days ago having drained my outdoor water tank left the toilet in bucket flush mode. Don't feel like building a proper outhouse . Pre planned a a barrel source flush system to extend the device's useability. Today made it work. A dip tube, via a few feet of garden hose to the tank. A small air compressor to pressurize the barrel. Voila it works. No bucket flushing.

As the old saying goes: we haf ways of deling with these problems.

The barrel will be empty by late December early January when the mostly unheated building drops to freezing range.

A day at the mancave. A few days ago having drained my outdoor water tank left the toilet in bucket flush mode. Don't feel like building a proper outhouse . Pre planned a a barrel source flush system to extend the device's useability. Today made it work. A dip tube, via a few feet of garden hose to the tank. A small air compressor to pressurize the barrel. Voila it works. No bucket flushing.

As the old saying goes: we haf ways of deling with these problems.

The barrel will be empty by late December early January when the mostly unheated building drops to freezing range.
Do you have a union card with the plumbers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't need no steeenking union card :)

Yesterday and today helped a neighbor fix a computer glitch, then buy and install a new printer. We also had a pleasant visit, which lasted longer than the computer work.

Decided not to crawl under the covers this winter, polar vortexes be damned. Set up a new Fitbit Flex (upgrading my little Fitbit Zip) and a myfitnesspal that syncs with it. Scanned a barcode from an odd little gift from Spain of peanut candy and it is already in the MFP database. Really amazing. The Flex is much more generous shall we say than the Zip is in counting steps so that's good too :LOL:. I should look for a scale that counts pounds like this....

Volunteered at the community center with the real seniors. lol. We spent hours doing prep for the Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow at the community center. Went to the grocery story. Stop by the credit union to get a new debit card. Came home washed clothes, fixed dinner for DH and did dishes. Folded clothes. Watch a little tv and went to bed at around 1 am. Where would I find the time to work anymore?

Got further in the process for signing up with covered CA. Had one call to them to explain how you input income for next year if its significantly different than this year. (their form is less than intuitive) In that phone call the phone rep clicked me through and locked me out of editing that stuff... so I call in again. Found out why I wasn't showing a premium assistance, despite income being below the cliff. (One wrong answer to another poorly worded question that I knew I was probably guessing wrong about how to answer.)

So that was a big part of my morning. In between these phone calls and working on my application I took my son's computer to the shop (some root/boot file got corrupted and I couldn't figure out how to boot off the microsoft disk to repair it.)

On the way back from picking up the kids we got them new shoes and stopped at the car wash for my rare paid car wash. (We've got water restrictions going - so I figured it was easier to go to the carwash where they recycle the water.)

Hopefully I'll finish the healthcare sign up tomorrow.

I'm in East Texas for a few days and I inadvertently stood on a fire ant hill while in a brushy area. I count ten bites from the ankles to my knees.

This time of year, the little ba$t@rds are not too aggressive so I got lucky, real lucky. They could have made to my crotch area.:facepalm:

I'm in East Texas for a few days and I inadvertently stood on a fire ant hill while in a brushy area. I count ten bites from the ankles to my knees.

This time of year, the little ba$t@rds are not too aggressive so I got lucky, real lucky. They could have made to my crotch area.:facepalm:

Cortizone cream worked for me on top of the bites

Thank you, from the Texas Bureau of "Don't Move Here"...

DW and DD are wearing me out so much that I'm thinking for returning to work. :facepalm:

NOT! DW has been on the rampage to get the garage situated so we can actually park cars in there (out of the snow) which has put the pressure on me to clean the garage and get things organized after the insulation project.

DD is moving back to the area so I made a trip to Albany to get a U-Haul trailer that is full of her stuff. Last night I was on my way home, less than 1/2 mile from the gas station I intended to stop for gas at and less than 500 ft from the top of a hill that I could have coasted to said gas station, and the bloody truck ran out of gas. Odd thing was, the low fuel light didn't appear until after it ran out of gas. :facepalm:

20F this morning. Too bloody cold. I hate winter.

So today I need to make space in the garage for DD's stuff, unload the trailer and return it later today or tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
what did you do today?

Waiting for FedEx to deliver solar panels I plan to install on the truck camper Saturday, when the temps go above 50.

This afternoon I'll do a little prep work inside the camper - with the heater running, of course lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Interesting! That still doesn't address the issue of what the other [-]idiots[/-] drivers are plotting to do to me. I'd still be pretty exposed out there, and I regard that as more of a threat than my own riding skills.

No, until I can get off these prescriptions I'm staying off a bike. Not just for me, but for DW, who would be the one stuck taking care of me because of my own stubbornness. With that much at stake I can give up the bike until all this settles out.

You have my sympathy. Have you given any thought to a cycle car? Its an item on my long range plan for when I can no longer ride on just 2 wheels.

Got at least 6 inches cut off my hair yesterday. Growing my hair was an interesting experiment, but long hair looked lots better on me in the 1960's than it does in MY 60's. :D Anyway, it feels good to have all that gone.

Waiting for FedEx to deliver solar panels I plan to install on the truck camper Saturday, when the temps go above 50.

This afternoon I'll do a little prep work inside the camper - with the heater running, of course lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

seraphim,

I'm thinking of getting a truck camper. Do you consider it comfortable for a single guy for an extended period of time, say two or three months? I'm living in an old motor home this year while I build my house and am quite comfortable, but it is about 35 feet long.

Hermit

Leisurely wake up over coffee with DH, as usual. Did Spanish homework just in time for my 10:00 AM class, home for lunch, then to the gym for a late workout (60 minutes on stationary bike, plus 45 minutes on weight circuit), home to shower and R&R for an hour or so before leaving for a concert and buffet BBQ dinner at our Lifelong Learning program. I'll be working the buffet line after the concert, which should be a lot of fun, and keep me from eating to much once it's my turn to sit down.

What I would call an average, full day in ER.

Have you given any thought to a cycle car?

I thought about it, but then something that is in the garage now would have to move outside and it isn't going to be DW's car! As it is the three barely fit so there isn't room for anything wider than the two-wheeler.

Today I finally mounted and framed a print of the Martinsburg railroad roundhouse that I shot last spring. It is a bit of a local landmark and changed hands several times during the Civil War because whoever controlled that pretty much controlled freight for several hundred miles around.

I was on a tear there for a while hanging prints of my photos and DW was hesitant about one more. This is in the computer room on a wall that was empty, but is not empty anymore. DW is out babysitting her grandnephew so I took the opportunity....>:D

Attachments

• Martinsburg_Roundhouse.jpg
    Martinsburg_Roundhouse.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Roundhouse_framed-1.jpg
    Roundhouse_framed-1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Roundhouse_framed-2.jpg
    Roundhouse_framed-2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 27
That's really gorgeous, Walt.

For me, I had a first today. First time I've seen someone on the street wearing a Google Glass.

It looked far more dorky than I expected it would.

Yes, I know they are for the visitors to sample, but I live here!:mad:

The first weekend after I moved to College Station, TX (30 years ago), I went swimming in Lake Bryan. Didn't know those little fellas even existed, much less that they could swim. I ended up with 350 fire ant bites. Not only that, apparently I am slightly allergic to them because each one blew up into a fluid filled blister.

Welcome to Texas! :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom