what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received the insurance statement for the hospital stay last month. The cost of two overlapping stents in a heart artery and three days (two in cardiac care, one in ICU) is $45k and some change. Not complaining, mind you, since without it I'd be either dead or very close to it by now but little wonder people go bankrupt for medical issues if they don't have insurance. And my case was "simple" with no complications.

I didn't see what the insurance will actually pay since they initially denied most of it over the hospital not dating the charges properly.

That's got to be a little unnerving! I hope they get that straightened out soon, and that you won't be left with a $45K bill to pay.

Naw, I've seen that before. I suspect it is just a ploy to extend the period before they have to actually write a check so they can get more interest on the funds.

I do know that I'll have to pay for some things, like the Tylenol and probably the earplugs (patient down the hall had dementia and was noisy all night) I asked for and got for a couple of headaches while there. Be interesting to see what they charge for those items.

Last edited:
I sat out in the sun with the dog and thought about doing some work. Maybe tomorrow....

We did walk the dog and go out for lunch. I unpacked my new vacuum thermal pot from Amazon warehouse deals. They are the coolest "appliances" and cook all sorts of foods all day long with only 10 minutes of stove top time.

I have roused myself from the torpor that set in after my exhausting 10-day car trip to VA shortly after I retired. I decided to set a goal of accomplishing one productive thing every day whether it is cleaning out a closet, cooking something from scratch, taking a long walk, Aquafit at the gym, etc. Today I got a mammogram at the hospital, began the process to roll over my employer sponsored 457b plan to a tIRA at Vanguard (I chose Target Retirement 2020), and also cooked a pot of stuffed peppers to make use of all the garden fresh peppers and tomatoes deposited on my doorstep yesterday by an ex-boss.

I sat out in the sun with the dog and thought about doing some work. Maybe tomorrow.....

Excellent idea. Hard work never hurt anyone but why take chances?

I unpacked my new vacuum thermal pot from Amazon warehouse deals. They are the coolest "appliances" and cook all sorts of foods all day long with only 10 minutes of stove top time.

I'd never heard of those! I put it on my wish list there because in the winter I cook a lot with the crock pot - beef stew, mostly. That's a great wintertime meal. It looks like that'll be a possible substitute for a crock pot or at least for when we take a potluck meal to somewhere else.

The things I learn here....

I sat out in the sun with the dog and thought about doing some work. Maybe tomorrow....

We did walk the dog and go out for lunch. I unpacked my new vacuum thermal pot from Amazon warehouse deals. They are the coolest "appliances" and cook all sorts of foods all day long with only 10 minutes of stove top time.

I never heard of these pots either. I sent my son an AMZN link as I think he could use something like this. In my case, I have lots of cookware and also the time to simmer things (like today's stuffed peppers) on very low heat for a couple of hours while I do other things at home. I'm retired after all!

First day of retirement today! Treated a friend to a round of golf for his 40th birthday. He insisted on walking with me. I thought he was going to faint several times. I finally called the clubhouse and had them send a cart out for him when we were on the 11th hole. I can't imagine what it must be like to not take care of yourself the way he does. Anyway, we had a nice lunch after the round - then I went home and went on a bike ride to get my REAL exercise for the day. Also put together some patio furniture that arrived, made some caprese salad, ate dinner on the patio with DW, and then cuddled for a while on the new patio loveseat and watched the stars come out. If everyday of retirement is like this I am going to be exhausted!

I visited three bank branches today (very unusual to go to the bank at all) but all good. I had lunch at Tim Horton's (thank you, I am $4000 richer this week), bought season tickets to the symphony, bought an actual paper book that I need to read for book club that isn't available electronically (which I will need for longer than a library loan), visited a farmer's market and an organic winery and restocked the fridge with all sorts of local goodies, bought a cooler for an upcoming road trip to the a Gulf Islands, and arrived home to find that a longtime friend has nominated me for the ice bucket challenge!

......goes to buy ice..... :cool:

I'd never heard of those! I put it on my wish list there because in the winter I cook a lot with the crock pot - beef stew, mostly. That's a great wintertime meal. It looks like that'll be a possible substitute for a crock pot or at least for when we take a potluck meal to somewhere else.

The things I learn here....

Yes, you could take them to a pot luck or a picnic and they stay hot without electricity and the food does not dry out. You also do not have to worry about the power going out during your cook time. If you have access to a stove after a party you can always re-boil leftovers for another 5 - 10 minutes and then re-seal the container and the food will stay hot on the way home. Some people use them for camping.

Amazon also sells something called a wonderbag that works on the same principle but I have never tried any of those.

First day of retirement today! Treated a friend to a round of golf for his 40th birthday. He insisted on walking with me. I thought he was going to faint several times. I finally called the clubhouse and had them send a cart out for him when we were on the 11th hole. I can't imagine what it must be like to not take care of yourself the way he does. Anyway, we had a nice lunch after the round - then I went home and went on a bike ride to get my REAL exercise for the day. Also put together some patio furniture that arrived, made some caprese salad, ate dinner on the patio with DW, and then cuddled for a while on the new patio loveseat and watched the stars come out. If everyday of retirement is like this I am going to be exhausted!

Sounds like an excellent first day! (Except for the part about your friend. I hope he is okay.)

Great morning! Just taking the time to meditate on how truly great this life is and to appreciate all of the little, good things that are happening.....:D.

It's too easy to get caught up in peeves and negative things :(.

Stanley thermos' work well with the technique. We use oats, and dried fruit before going to bed and have breakfast ready in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Days have been hot and humid, so we do our walks or bike resides early in the morning. Spent the rest of the day straightening up around the house and messing with photo gear. DW went to the grocery store early before the Labor Day crowds hit.

Two-hour motorcycle ride this afternoon/evening. I haven't been able to ride as much as I wanted because after the stents were put in everything was working so well my BP was too low and I was sometimes borderline dizzy. I figured while that was going on riding a motorcycle was not the smartest thing to do. Anyway, the doc dropped one BP medication so now I'm only on one and things are back to normal.

Nine years ago today, Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. As it receded, reporters smiled and exclaimed in pleasure and relief at how we had dodged a bullet.

Then the levees broke and a nightmare began. We watched in shock and disbelief from a motel room in Huntsville, Alabama where we had arrived at the last minute, just a few hours before.

It all seems like a bad dream to me now. And that's good, because I have been trying not to remember. We skipped the gym today, but went to a nice Chinese place for lunch and the rest of the day has been pretty normal. That's the way I like it. :)

Stanley thermos' work well with the technique. We use oats, and dried fruit before going to bed and have breakfast ready in the morning.

That sounds like a great idea. I saw the thermos idea on a prepper site but have not tried it out yet.

Nine years ago today, Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. As it receded, reporters smiled and exclaimed in pleasure and relief at how we had dodged a bullet.

Then the levees broke and a nightmare began. We watched in shock and disbelief from a motel room in Huntsville, Alabama where we had arrived at the last minute, just a few hours before.

It all seems like a bad dream to me now. And that's good, because I have been trying not to remember. We skipped the gym today, but went to a nice Chinese place for lunch and the rest of the day has been pretty normal. That's the way I like it. :)

That must have been a really tough experience to watch and not be able to do anything. I am glad yesterday was pleasantly uneventful for both of you.

Reactions: W2R
Last week my SO went for some testing prior to having knee surgery . His Ekg showed a slight abnormality so he had a stress test . It showed a 90% blockage of one of his arteries . He has had absolutely no symptoms so it was a total shock . He is now going to have an angiogram with stent placement . We are so glad it was discovered this way and not after he had a heart attack . You just never know what life sends you.

Last week my SO went for some testing prior to having knee surgery . His Ekg showed a slight abnormality so he had a stress test . It showed a 90% blockage of one of his arteries . He has had absolutely no symptoms so it was a total shock . He is now going to have an angiogram with stent placement . We are so glad it was discovered this way and not after he had a heart attack . You just never know what life sends you.

Here's hoping his outcome is as good as Walt's!

Tell him it's a piece of cake. Well, almost. Also tell him not to keep lifting up his head to look at the screen. I kept doing that (hey, I wanted to watch too!) and the surgeon was getting a little P.O.'d at me. What he didn't tell me was that every time I did it raised pressure in the femoral artery causing the cath location to leak, not a good thing.

Oh, and make sure the hospital has WiFi!:LOL:

Today, we converted 30 lbs. of Roma tomatoes into 12 pints of oven roasted tomato sauce.

Attachments

• IMG_3959.jpg
    IMG_3959.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3955.jpg
    IMG_3955.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 33
Today, we converted 30 lbs. of Roma tomatoes into 12 pints of oven roasted tomato sauce.

They look great. Brings back good memories. I made tomatoes confit with Romas one year. DW thought I was nuts doing the prep work. When they were done she wouldn't stay out of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I've mounted my GoPro camera on the end of a 30' boom pole - now I am just hoping a pod of orcas swims by so I can get some underwater video of them. I am hoping the camera will also pick up their underwater vocalizations but I have my doubts... I think I might need a dedicated hydrophone to pick up whale sounds.

Just going to hang out on the beach today, reading, listening to music, partaking in the occasional adult beverage while I wait for some whales.

Re-arranged the 8' fluorescent fixtures in the garage to allow me to store two kayaks near the ceiling in the winter. Pure decadence for one guy to have two 18' kayaks. Though the old wooden one will eventually become ceiling art at the mancave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom