What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
...snip...

I have zero sympathy for any moron who buys a house near an airport and then complains about airplane noise.:mad:

Sometimes I can get some neat pictures, and yes the sky really was that color:

In 1996 this moron bought a place 25 miles from Whiteman AFB.

Actually it wasn't too bad; yes we saw some incredible things.

Notable times:

Sometime during the Gulf wars they were running bombing raids from there. I knew what a B2 sounded like during practice. Wow, I don't know if it was JATO boosters or what; at 2AM the whole house was shaking during their takeoffs. First time was cool, got to be old, then they stopped.

The attack helicopter in our front field! DW informed me she did receive an apology call from an official at the base. Simple mistake.

The time I saw a stealth in a beautiful bank turn. It looked like a 90° bank! I'm sure it wasn't, but still an incredible view!

I told DW to come see, by that time the pilot had leveled off and the plane was a small almost invisible airplane on the horizon. I told her it was stealth!😁

Freedom is pretty cool!

Last edited:
In 1996 this moron bought a place 25 miles from Whiteman AFB.

Actually it wasn't too bad; yes we saw some incredible things.

Notable times:

Sometime during the Gulf wars they were running bombing raids from there. I knew what a B2 sounded like during practice. Wow, I don't know if it was JATO boosters or what; at 2AM the whole house was shaking during their takeoffs. First time was cool, got to be old, then they stopped.

The attack helicopter in our front field! DW informed me she did receive an apology call from an official at the base. Simple mistake.

The time I saw a stealth in a beautiful bank turn. It looked like a 90° bank! I'm sure it wasn't, but still an incredible view!

I told DW to come see, by that time the pilot had leveled off and the plane was a small almost invisible airplane on the horizon. I told her it was stealth!😁

Freedom is pretty cool!

Wow!

When I was stationed at Whiteman (1967 - 68) there were no airplanes.....it was only a Minuteman Missile base, and I was one of those guys living underground.:cool:

Yesterday when DH arrived home from his mountain bike ride, the first thing he said to me was "don't panic, but I think I need to go to the doctor." He knows me well, and I think I did pretty well holding it together. I saw no blood, but his right arm looked a little purple. I stowed his bike, and helped him change his clothes because when he crashed he may have landed in poison oak (oy, what else could go wrong?) As I drove he told me what happened. He went head first over the handle bars into a culvert, put his hands up to protect his head...broke both wrists! Had to walk his bike back to the car and then drive home 35 miles! We saw the dr and had X-rays last night, but the "fracture clinic" was closed by then so they sent us home. Today we went back and he got a cast on the right hand and a brace for the left. And now we adapt our lives for the next 6-8 weeks.

Looking on the bright side of this, it could have been much worse. Broken nose, teeth, face in general, concussion etc. I view as worse than a few broken bones. And there was no damage to his bike (yay!) and so far only a little poison oak scratching.

Woke up this morning and DW told me I was 75.

Damn decimal points....I thought I was 7 1/2.

Happy Birthday Nemo2! :dance::dance::dance:
Thank you.

DW posted on her Facebook page, (which she uses mainly to see grandkids pics), the photo below, taken when I was 22 on a Greek liner going from Oz to Greece.

I'd just purchased one of those made-in-ten-seconds suits in Hong Kong...in a rush, tried on the jacket....fine.......after the ship sailed tried on the pants.....like ballet tights!

Ergo...I'm mismatched:

w9tx0k.jpg

Nemo, you were an unusually handsome young man! Happy Birthday, and many more. :)
Thank you.

'Unusual' is generally how I'm described. :LOL:

Last edited:
Yesterday when DH arrived home from his mountain bike ride, the first thing he said to me was "don't panic, but I think I need to go to the doctor." He knows me well, and I think I did pretty well holding it together. I saw no blood, but his right arm looked a little purple. I stowed his bike, and helped him change his clothes because when he crashed he may have landed in poison oak (oy, what else could go wrong?) As I drove he told me what happened. He went head first over the handle bars into a culvert, put his hands up to protect his head...broke both wrists! Had to walk his bike back to the car and then drive home 35 miles! We saw the dr and had X-rays last night, but the "fracture clinic" was closed by then so they sent us home. Today we went back and he got a cast on the right hand and a brace for the left. And now we adapt our lives for the next 6-8 weeks.

Looking on the bright side of this, it could have been much worse. Broken nose, teeth, face in general, concussion etc. I view as worse than a few broken bones. And there was no damage to his bike (yay!) and so far only a little poison oak scratching.
How awful! I am especially shocked that you could not get his broken wrists treated until morning. I don't imagine either of you got much sleep. It's impressive that despite the broken wrists, he was able to lift his bike into or onto the car for the drive home.

Woke up this morning and DW told me I was 75.
Damn decimal points....I thought I was 7 1/2.

Congrats. Here are some birthday words of wisdom:

Forget about the past, you can’t change it,

Forget about the future, you can’t predict it,

Forget about the present, I didn’t get you one!

:LOL:

How awful! I am especially shocked that you could not get his broken wrists treated until morning. I don't imagine either of you got much sleep. It's impressive that despite the broken wrists, he was able to lift his bike into or onto the car for the drive home.

We have Kaiser health care. By the time he saw the doctor it was after 5 and the casting folks were gone for the day. Thankfully, X-ray was still open. I bought a couple wrist braces in the pharmacy and they helped a lot. If we had gone to emergency they probably would have finished the job on Monday. We're relatively new to Kaiser and went looking for the urgent care (apparently only available after 6) and ended up seeing his regular doctor. I'm sure if it was worse they would have sent us over to emergency.

He had another biker load his bike for him. And I unloaded it at home. The driving part amazes me too.

That was my first reaction the first time she wrote about seeing air shows from the back yard but after thinking about it, I'd wager that about the 47th time it happens the noise starts to wear a bit thin.
I have to disagree - but that's just me. :)

I lived in San Diego for 5 years. My office was less than a mile from the Miramar base and my house was up in the hills east of Poway.

So, I saw (and heard!) jets taking off and landing at Miramar all the time. Plus, when they would head out to the desert for training, they would fly so low over my house that I felt I could count the rivets on the wings.

In the five years we lived there, it never got old for me. :D

Congrats. Here are some birthday words of wisdom:

Forget about the past, you can’t change it,

Forget about the future, you can’t predict it,

Forget about the present, I didn’t get you one!

:LOL:
Love that quote.

Last edited:
I have zero sympathy for any moron who buys a house near an airport and then complains about airplane noise.:mad:

I agree - with a caveat... I wish the MCAS Miramar would require the flights follow the prescribed flight paths in the Accident Potential Zones (APZ) which routes them over non-residential areas... Plenty of noise when they do that - but not as bad as when they choose to fly outside the APZ corridors. The Accident Potential Zones and AICUZ are not supposed to be optional for regular flights.

I'm not worried about the noise - I'm worried about a crash. A fighter jet crashed into a neighborhood about 1/4 mile from my house about 10 years ago. That distressed jet flew over the elementary school my kids were attending - literally in the 10's of feet above it. People died. Several homes were destroyed. And this wasn't the first crash in the neighborhood... Since then there is a new base commander who feels the APZ corridor is not applicable. When the community requests flights stay in the corridor he goes all Jack Nicholson on them ("You can't handle the truth!!!"). Ironically, many of the community members are retired navy pilots who were stationed at Miramar for years.

As for the air show - it's pretty awesome... mainly because I don't have kids of napping age anymore. I remember when my older son was about 3... An airshow jet flew low over the house and he burst into tears out of fear - standing up suddenly - hitting his head.. (and every car alarm in the neighborhood went off. But it's only 3 1/2 days a year and pretty awesome to watch. I'm a fan. (But wasn't on that day my son was terrified.)

I grew up in the neighborhood and have huge respect for the pilots and support staff - many live in this neighborhood. I have no issue with the noise... especially now that my kids no longer nap during the day. LOL.

I was called for jury duty yesterday. I almost made it to the alternate spot... but was cut. I never get selected... This trial looked pretty dull... so I'm ok with being cut.

As for the air show - it's pretty awesome....

Absolutely! Forty plus years ago my ex was in the Navy and the Blue Angels used to come and perform occasionally at various bases where he was stationed. We'd fight horrendous traffic to and from the base to go see them (they were very popular!). We took blankets so that we could lay out on the grass, on base, and watch - - simply over-the-top amazing, to us.

In the five years we lived there, it never got old for me. :D

I was at an RV park in Kingsville, Tx, once when the nearby Naval Air Station was doing 24 hour 'Touch and Go' exercises...I could see where it might begin to get a little tiresome. :LOL:

Met a charming woman from Vancouver at the coffee shop this morning.

During conversation she mentioned that her father had sold everything, was signing the papers on his house sale as we were chatting. She is carting him off to her house in Vancouver. I suggested they take a detour to see the Big Ditch, watch the spectacular sunrise reveal the canyon.

Reminded me of the time when I had sold my house and hit the road in my motorhome.

Hmmm, seems intriguing, at least the getting rid of everything then figuring out what to do, where to live. Until this morning had not considered that option.

In a year or so will consider the idea a bit more.

<snip>Yesterday when DH arrived home from his mountain bike ride, the first thing he said to me was "don't panic, but I think I need to go to the doctor.
My dh said the same thing to me yesterday.

He thought he was having a heart attack. So off to Urgent Care we go. Several tests were made and everything checked out fine. It was only nine days ago he had hernia surgery and four days ago I went to Urgent Care for a hearing issue.

Good times. :rolleyes:

I hope your husband (and you) recover quickly.

After all, we have a birthday boy in our midst. It's time to celebrate....Happy Birthday Nemo! :flowers:

Met a charming woman from Vancouver at the coffee shop this morning.
During conversation she mentioned that her father had sold everything, was signing the papers on his house sale as we were chatting. She is carting him off to her house in Vancouver. I suggested they take a detour to see the Big Ditch, watch the spectacular sunrise reveal the canyon.

The Big Ditch usually refers to the Panama Canal ?

Got up at 5:00 am, went into town and picked up 250# of the prettiest Sangiovese grapes from California for myself They were picked about 3:00 am on Saturday and we ref-fered back to the east coast and arrived Monday afternoon. We walked through the vineyard August 11 when we out there.
I hope to have 500# of Malbec on Saturday for myself. I hope I'm not too tired from Friday's 3 ton of Cabernet Sauvignon at the winery.

By any chance your not making any Chianti are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom