What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing outlets and light switches with nicer ones while I wait for the oil truck to show up and fill my tank so I can turn on the heat! Found out the hard way the tank was empty.

Added up my spending for April, which is something I look forward to doing every month. I know, that's kind of odd but for me it is fun and I feel like I can share that here since many forum members seem to like doing this sort of thing too.

The first of the month is my favorite day for that reason. It doesn't even matter if the market or spending was up or down. I share your strange joy.

:D Yes, you get it! It's fun to post to people who share this strange joy. :)

Do you often get accused of obsessing over money as I do for this? I track my expenditures every month but I religiously look at my earning for the month. $2.1k in dividends for April.:dance:

Do you often get accused of obsessing over money as I do for this? I track my expenditures every month but I religiously look at my earning for the month. $2.1k in dividends for April.:dance:

In real life I don't tell anybody but my longtime boyfriend about it, and he likes to track spending as much as I do.

Here on the forum, there are some others who like to do it, and others do not. Different people see it differently. I do track the cents as well as the dollars, and I think that even here some people think that is a bit much. But I like it so I do it. :D

Like you I record my dividends each month, but in my case that is not too complicated since I only have a half dozen funds or so.

Beginning my third month of FIRE and glad to get a break today. We have 2 acres of land and truthfully the landscaping has been mostly ignored while I was working. Now there are way too many big shrubs and bushes that require constant trimming so I'm ripping out a bunch. Yesterday I took out three leather leaf verbatums and a small white ash tree that had grown up in the middle of them. Also took out a wood fence that was covered in ivy and ripping the ivy out of the ground. The place is looking better but I've got a lot to do.

I probably would, since I track down to the penny and make sure everything balances between my net worth spreadsheet and my expense tracking program (Checkbook on Mac). But I'm not "accountable" har har to anyone.

In one of my prior programming jobs I worked on Billing and Accounts Receivable software for hospitals. All of the various reports had to balance. When they didn't, the problems were engrossing to solve. I think that's where I got my love for it.

Beginning my third month of FIRE and glad to get a break today. We have 2 acres of land and truthfully the landscaping has been mostly ignored while I was working. Now there are way too many big shrubs and bushes that require constant trimming so I'm ripping out a bunch. Yesterday I took out three leather leaf verbatums and a small white ash tree that had grown up in the middle of them. Also took out a wood fence that was covered in ivy and ripping the ivy out of the ground. The place is looking better but I've got a lot to do.

I'm doing the same as you Stratman. I retired 4 months ago, and have been working on landscaping projects ever since. I did not have much time to do this when i was working. Now i enjoy it. As i can take my time and do a better job. I have about 8 acres, and my retirement present was a Kubota tractor. So i have been learning how to use that. I have to admit, i tried to do everything at once when i first started, but now have learned to slow down and pace myself.

I ordered some swatches from Pottery Barn for new indoor furniture. Time to get new furniture aka spending more money. My husband is in the garage building the next trellis. I hope to get lots of gardening work done today.
This morning, after my husband and I went went for a walk, I did make a big batch of spaghetti Bolognaise. A few meals in the freezer.

Last edited:
i have a huge parcel of land that my house sits on, its way too much for me to "do the lawn". so today tru-green lawn service came and sprayed all kinds of poisons,fertilizers etc,. the service was for 5000 square feet or less, the receipt said 857 sq ft. i must move in slow motion, because when i used to do it it took me 3 hours.

Spent the 4th time in the shop with DW's1998 Cadillac. It looks like we are replacing the A/C system one piece at a time. Replaced the compressor and expansion valve, now the evaporator sprung a leak:(
Oh well, the car only has 100K miles on it, and it is in great shape otherwise.

Went to my niece's preschool and did a presentation for 2 classes of 5 graders that was all about bees (complete with honey sampling). Hit the only Trader Joe's in the state that sells booze and picked up some TJ brand gin, tequila and Islay single malt. Pulled dinner together back at the house for later consumption and now am catching up on some correspondence while DD1 gets practice time on the ice for figure skating.

Realized I apparently have shingles. Made an appointment with my doc for tomorrow.

Did you get a shingles shot in the past? Just wondering how effective they are.

BTW, DW had shingles in her 30s. She wasn't too miserable. I have heard of others that are very miserable. Hope you aren't one of them.

Realized I apparently have shingles. Made an appointment with my doc for tomorrow.

If you have it you can minimize the damage with Valtrex. You'll want to jump on it - maybe go to an urgent care walk in for a prescription.

Last night we saw Cinderella at the San Francisco Ballet. They had very beautiful sets and costumes. It was a lovely show.

Today we had a more low key day. In the morning we went to Costco and I picked out new frames for glasses and sunglasses. I went to Costco for an eye exam last week, technically the independent eye doctor who just happens to have an office inside Costco's optical department. The rest of the day was just routine stuff - walking the dog, household chores and making some plans with a friend who is coming to visit soon.

Last edited:
Yesterday was my last day taking care of my three grandkids while their parents were out of town. We live about a mile away from them, so it works out well. They are great kids, but I am happy to be home to peace and quiet and no running them around.

Busy day yesterday. After breakfast, I put a coat of antique oil finish on my new sliding doors. Then went to mom's, cut her lawn, back home for a 12:30p lunch. Back out to rental to cut that lawn then off to 3rd rental to trim and pick up rent. After the bank, I went home to rack my Chilean Sauv Blanc, Pinot Grigio, my South African Sauv Blanc and a carboy of Semillon. DW and I had "veggies on the deck" and grilled some filet with a Cote de Rhone. After cleanup, I watched the Pens struggle to beat the Caps.

Today, I will recoat the doors, and go to the winery to help crush and destem a ton of Chilean Cab Sauv. Tomorrow, DM to doctor, then crush and destem the Merlot.

Retirement 'R' busy but Fun.

If you have it you can minimize the damage with Valtrex. You'll want to jump on it - maybe go to an urgent care walk in for a prescription.

Thanks, but it took me so long to figure out what was going on I think I missed the window to have an anti-viral be most effective. On the positive side, I'm telling myself the reason I didn't know what I had until four days after the first symptoms is an indication of a mild case. :(

a mild case.

Be careful if it gets anywhere near your eyes......I'm still on prednisolone drops from where my attack infringed upon the left cornea seven months ago, and I have another appointment with the eye doctor at the end of June when we return from our upcoming trip.

I probably would, since I track down to the penny and make sure everything balances between my net worth spreadsheet and my expense tracking program (Checkbook on Mac). But I'm not "accountable" har har to anyone.

In one of my prior programming jobs I worked on Billing and Accounts Receivable software for hospitals. All of the various reports had to balance. When they didn't, the problems were engrossing to solve. I think that's where I got my love for it.

Sounds like Cliff Stoll. 17 cents if I remember.:D

Be careful if it gets anywhere near your eyes......I'm still on prednisolone drops from where my attack infringed upon the left cornea seven months ago, and I have another appointment with the eye doctor at the end of June when we return from our upcoming trip.

Thanks for the update. I read your shingles thread again last night with great interest and was wondering how you were doing with the eye issue.

The outbreak is on my face and around my eye...

Thanks for the update. I read your shingles thread again last night with great interest and was wondering how you were doing with the eye issue.

The outbreak is on my face and around my eye...
You should probably go see your ophthalmologist without delay. I had mine next to my eye, and when I told that to the scheduling people, got a same day appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom