What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, sir. Is this better?

Does Davy Crockett count as a Texan? Wikipedia says he was born in North Carolina, grew up in East Tennessee, and
he was elected to the Tennessee state legislature in 1821. In 1825, Crockett was elected to the U.S. Congress, where he vehemently opposed many of the policies of President Andrew Jackson, most notably the Indian Removal Act. Crockett's opposition to Jackson's policies led to his defeat in the 1831 elections. He won again in 1833, then narrowly lost in 1835.
He returned to Texas shortly thereafter and was killed at the Alamo in 1836.

Last edited:
Angel Flight

Flew a young mother and her 4 year old son home to Santa Barbara after his treatment at UCLA. Low clouds the entire flight until we got to Santa Barbara Airport which was clear. Boy slept the whole way, in fact I had to wake him to get him out of the plane.

Got a new tv. 40" to replace the old 26" tv in our exercise room. Soon to be my man cave/ exercise room once I get a recliner. Not sure how a recliner will look between a treadmill and a bowflex.

Got a new tv. 40" to replace the old 26" tv in our exercise room. Soon to be my man cave/ exercise room once I get a recliner. Not sure how a recliner will look between a treadmill and a bowflex.
Congrats on the new TV!

My stationary bike and Concept2 rower are in my bedroom, on the far side of my huge king sized bed and in front of my 60" Samsung TV in there. So I think your recliner next to your treadmill and bowflex looks very athletic and manly. :D

I had a setup like that! It was shortly after DW passed away. I had a 4 bedroom home and I was the only one living there. The exercise equipment soon made very nice clothes hangers. :facepalm:

Brewed a batch of beer in a style that came out of nowhere since I started brewing (UK summer bitter). As I was finishing up, one of the backyard hives threw a small swarm, so I donned a suit and caught it. While I was at it checked on the nucs I set up on Monday and fund that 4 of the 5 queens I installed were duds. Will have to try again with a new batch of queens tomorrow after I get back from a field trip with DD1's class.

Took the kids to Hu Hot, a silly "Mongolian" grill place where you pick what you like and they cook it right in front of you. Now waiting to hear from DW who is downtown at a work-related outing, just in case she needs to be picked up.

How do you catch a swarm of bees?

Hold a plastic tub underneath wherever they settle in a big ball, give the tree branch a strong shake to knock them all loose and catch them in the tub. Quickly put the lid on and then dump them into a spare hive. If they are somewhere reasonably accessible it is quick and easy.

Something new today. A couple of weeks ago I read about a newly published book that I really wanted to read but none of the local libraries had it yet and Amazon wanted $26 for it.

To my surprise, one local library had a section on their website where you could recommend books for them to buy. I filled in the details and today got an email from them saying I could pick up the book. Brand new, I'm the first reader of this copy. Never saw this before, but now I understand why so many people around here have "I Love My Library" bumper stickers on their cars!

Not a doggone thing. It keeps raining off & on so I didn't do my normal "not-a-gym-day" walk and DW is off babysitting her grandnephews. Read a magazine and played around on the computer and reading posts here.

Day 1 of a 2 day garage sale. DW treated it as a social event, chatting with everyone that stopped by. (She read somewhere that socializing is good for your health).

Awoke to a weather report on the morning news that forecasts rain for the next week... daytime highs in 40s and 50s and perhaps even snow at the higher elevations early next week... WTF! this is May!

Went to my dentist appointment, then to the local food pantry and put together a storage rack and organized some... then home for lunch.

Been puttering around on the laptop this afternoon. The wind has really kicked up from the SE... it is reorganizing the resin chairs on the deck.

I just got in from getting a load of firewood and built a fire in the woodstove to keep DW happy.

Read Rewahoo's post and visualized the scene from the movie with Anthony Hopkins and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Hoping you get well soon REW.

Day 1 of a 2 day garage sale. DW treated it as a social event, chatting with everyone that stopped by. (She read somewhere that socializing is good for your health).

We had a true garage sale a few years ago.. we were cleaning out so we had a garage sale but had plans to replace our one-car garage with a two-car garage later that summer. DW puts a small sign on the garage... "Garage... FREE".

A local contractor expressed an interest in it. Since my BIL had previously expressed an interest in it as well, I told the guy that if BIL didn't want it then it was his. I call BIL and he stops by with a carpenter he uses and later tells me that he'll take it but I need to pay him $500... I tell him that the other guy will take it for free.

A couple months later, the first guy shows up with a crew and a couple flatbeds and 4 hours later the garage was gone and the site was broom clean.

DW and I walked down a trail into San Juan National Forest. We had no idea where we were going. I knew the canyon we were walking around, it's just South of our home. I thought we could see our home from the canyon rim but no luck. I understand the rim much better now.

We only walked two miles but it was an hour of walking. My ankles are sore, only gained 100' of elevation but we both hurt. Luckily we found our way back home.[emoji4]

About 30 years ago you could get dropped in the San Juans between Durango and Silverton on the narrow gauge train then flag them down a week or so later. Sounds like you are ready!

BTW, DW's aunt took that train when it was a working train in to Durango to do shopping. They had a passenger car along with the freight.

Last edited:
Helped chaperone DD1's 7th grade architecture class to downtown. Happily we were on a bus through the skeezier area. Picked up replacement queens for some duds and put them in nucs. Have buyers coming tomorrow for 2 nucs. the rest should be ready by next weekend.

Hit a little milestone today... they threw a really nice party for me today at work. I am officially retired!

Yesterday we went out for barbecue and then on to Astro Night at U.C. Berkeley for "May the Fourth" be with you day. The speaker was an astrophysics grad student and Star Wars fan going over the science of Stars Wars - what was actually plausible in the movies and what was not. She did a great job - her pointer was a light saber. There was supposed to be star gazing afterwards but the fog rolled in.

Today we walked the dog, did some housework and errands, bought Mexican carryout and I have La La Land to pick up from Redbox for tonight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom