What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update. I read your shingles thread again last night with great interest and was wondering how you were doing with the eye issue.

The outbreak is on my face and around my eye...

I'm currently taking the prednisolone drops every other day, (in conjunction with 'regular' drops that I take daily, or whenever I think of them).....this is down from when I was taking them daily, but back up from when the doctor thought that every second or third day might suffice. (It's a persistent condition.)

Dr. has advised me that this problem can hang on 'indefinitely', and (perhaps as CYA input* has advised me to "Seek medical assistance immediately, (and/or increase the frequency of the drops), if there's a flareup when we're away".) (*Or perhaps it merely reinforces the seriousness of the situation.)

There's no pain/discomfort in the eye, and my vision doesn't appear to be noticeably impaired, but it's still there, and it's still threatening the eye.

Last edited:
You should probably go see your ophthalmologist without delay. I had mine next to my eye, and when I told that to the scheduling people, got a same day appointment.

DW had hers next to her eye and immediately got in. She later scarred - probably would have been less if she had gone in sooner.

Last edited:
Sounds like Cliff Stoll. 17 cents if I remember.:D

Loved his first book about stalking their system hacker. Man, we are OLD! I guess that's why we're here.

Oh wait minute, this is a topic about what you did today. OK today I am going to mow my lawn for the first time this season, even though it is still cold enough to wear a jacket. But if I wait any longer it will be too high to mow.

Loved his first book about stalking their system hacker. Man, we are OLD! I guess that's why we're here.

I remember that.....The Cuckoo's Egg....sleeping under his desk trying to catch the hackers when they logged on...great read!

I remember that.....The Cuckoo's Egg....sleeping under his desk trying to catch the hackers when they logged on...great read!

NOVA did a movie based on the book. It's quite corny as they used the actual people and not actors but still a good watch

[yt]EcKxaq1FTac[/yt]

NOVA did a movie based on the book. It's quite corny as they used the actual people and not actors but still a good watch

Thanks....we're in the throes of packing/cleaning right now, but will definitely try and watch it down the road.

You should probably go see your ophthalmologist without delay. I had mine next to my eye, and when I told that to the scheduling people, got a same day appointment.

My brother also had it on his face and ended up with some injury to his eye. That is why I suggested jumping on starting an antiviral. Nasty stuff.

+1

REWahoo, this is a frightening turn of events. As you know, in life there is nobody that will advocate for any of us with the intensity and ferocity that we can advocate for ourselves. I know you want to save that eye, and hope you do all that you can to get swift, immediate, and effective treatment for it ASAP.

What's the worst if you bull your way into an appointment this morning? They could point, laugh, and tell you that you waited too long.

What's the worst if you don't do that? You could go blind.

I know what I would choose...

Last edited:
I understand and appreciate the concern you folks are expressing regarding potential eye damage. I have no indication of any issue with my eye - no reddening of the eye or other signs of a problem. Had that been the case I would have done my best to see an ophthalmologist yesterday when the first signs of a breakout around the eye showed up.

I see my PCP in a couple of hours and potential eye problems will the on the top of my list when I talk with her. Thankfully the outbreak on my face appears not to be severe (fingers crossed) and hasn't caused me much discomfort.

Anyone older then 60 (some guidelines say 50) who hasn't had a shingle vaccination, put it at the top of your to do list.

I understand and appreciate the concern you folks are expressing regarding potential eye damage. I have no indication of any issue with my eye - no reddening of the eye or other signs of a problem. Had that been the case I would have done my best to see an ophthalmologist yesterday when the first signs of a breakout around the eye showed up.

I see my PCP in a couple of hours and potential eye problems will the on the top of my list when I talk with her. Thankfully the outbreak on my face appears not to be severe (fingers crossed) and hasn't caused me much discomfort.

Perfect. Thanks for posting that; I am no longer so worried, because your PCP will know what needs to be done and how urgent it may or may not be. GOOD LUCK and I hope she tells you it's just an allergic reaction to strawberries or something like that.

Thankfully the outbreak on my face appears not to be severe (fingers crossed) and hasn't caused me much discomfort.

Initially I, (incorrectly), attributed my facial shingles, (they started on my forehead), to wearing a too tight sweatband while on the elliptical......more irritating than painful.......Dr. who saw them identified them immediately as shingles.

Seven months later, and for the foreseeable (no pun intended) future, I'm still on eye drops.

All the best at your PCP's.

PCP says no involvement of optic nerve and gave me a prescription for Valtrex - and a lecture on procrastination regarding the shingles vaccine. :blush:

Looks like I'll be growing a 'stache since shaving the upper lip is out of the question for a while...

PCP says no involvement of optic nerve and gave me a prescription for Valtrex - and a lecture on procrastination regarding the shingles vaccine. :blush:

Looks like I'll be growing a 'stache since shaving the upper lip is out of the question for a while...

WONDERFUL!!!! :clap: :dance: No optic nerve involvement, that is. The fact that it is indeed shingles is not so wonderful, and I hope it doesn't get to your cornea.

The mustache? Well, I thought almost all Texan guys had a mustache anyway, so you'll probably find it feels quite natural after a day or two. :D

I thought almost all Texan guys had a mustache anyway

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a normal thing there.

Attachments

• sam.jpg
    sam.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 25

That's great news.

Today has been a calm day for us here in Iowa. Beautiful sunny 70 degrees after a stretch of rainy, cool weather. I did laundry and I have buffalo wing chicken and asparagus cooking in the oven. I still want to ride my bike around after dinner, we will see.

Kind of a bittersweet day. I made the decision today to banish my beloved old cat from my bedroom. He's decided he's too lazy in his dotage to walk down two flights of stairs (although he can) to use the litterbox. After several accidents in a row, I can no longer have him sleep with me. He'll be shut in the basement overnight, not a bad thing because he has his food and bed down there and likes to spend time there anyhow. But he will be sad and lonely, and I also--especially since I know things are moving toward the end. He's 17 and has diabetes, is on insulin, and is starting to look like the old man he is.

Had to call my credit card company, after getting an email from them that they suspected fraud on my account. Sure enough, the charge wasn't mine. It was an online Internet order and the party went offline before completing the transaction. I'm getting a new card in 3 to 5 days, forgot to ask if that was business days. The number that they give you for the fraud unit gets answered pretty fast. Got off my cell phone and received a call on our landline to verify that I had just called. I use to only have the one card until a discussion on this forum about having a backup card. Thank you to all that made the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom