What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to MIL's this morning to help do some stuff in the yard and cut up/dispose of an elderly wood outdoor table that was falling apart. Dropped off a couple of chainsaw blades and a couple pairs of shears to be sharpened and then grilled a couple of yesterday's culled quail for lunch. Grocery shopping and then a meet up with some fellow beekeepers tonight.

I just found out last night that one of my favorite urban gardener, Pathtofreedom blog, died in 2016 at age 69. It's been a sad news for me, I feel down this morning. I've been following this family since 2002, the family has given many people in the LA area so much inspiration. I wonder how his kids are going to manage without him. So today I will spend more time in my painting class. I'm glad to have found this hobby. It lifts me up when I'm down. Let's hope I'll paint my way out of this blue.

Apparently today is National Beer Day.

Friday, April 7, is National Beer Day, which commemorates April 7, 1933, the day that the Cullen-Harrison Act was enacted.

It was signed into law by President Franklin Roosevelt on March 22, 1933.

The law allowed for the legal sale of low-alcohol beer in the United States, several months before Prohibition was completely repealed.

Roosevelt made his famous remark upon signing the legislation: “I think this would be a good time for a beer,” noting the end to the nation’s 13-year-long dry spell.

Why April 7 is National Beer Day | WTOP

Helped DW make baklava this afternoon. She's the chef, I'm just extra hands needed, and it took a while to set 34 layers. Will bring along the finished product as we visit DD this weekend.

Last edited:
Spent much of the day beekeeping in the backyard and one of my other apiaries. Things are going well this spring and one of the hives is already putting up honey (very early for here). One of the hives has developed a nasty temperament, so as soon as I can buy queens I will have to deal with it.

Now celebrating National Beer Day.

I worked in the garden this morning. I counted, I now have 8 cucumber plants. My Eden Climber rose is sending loads of nice rose flowers. The garden is very green. One pesky pest keeps eating my young nectarines. So I had to trim some of them off the tree. Who wants a half eaten nectarine. Not me.
After that I went to have 2 hour massage, I guess all those hours standing up painting caused my body some muscle pain. Then I went to have my hair cut and colored. I'm looking 10 years younger again. Yay for no more gray.
Right now my husband is fixing the dish washer, he ordered something from Amazon and replaced the cheap plastic part with something more lasting.

Last edited:
Yesterday I had an oil pressure gauge put in the Jeep. The engine for that year is known to have issues with oil pressure. It was supposed to take about 1.5 hours. I was there all day. They ended up taking the top half of the engine off to get to the fitting that they used connect the gauge. Seems that it had been moved from the previous model of engine. The owner charged me $150. I told him it wouldn't be right for them to install custom parts and not charge for their labor and I wanted to make sure the mechanic got paid so I asked him to at least add $100. (This was really getting weird.) Then on the drive home I started to think about it and I didn't think I had paid for the parts either. I checked and sure enough I hadn't paid for the parts which from Amazon were almost $200. This morning I called him and told him that I hadn't paid for the parts either and I wanted to make sure the mechanic got paid for his work on my Jeep. I really had to work to get the whole story out of him. In retrospect I think he was having a great time seeing how far he could string me along. It turns out that the parts were considered "scratch and dent" and he had gotten his money out of them. I think the shipping company probably paid for them. He was just passing the savings on to his customer. The supplier had a 1.5 hour install time for the gauge installation and that is what he had listed on his invoice for my bill. That would have been close if they didn't tear the engine down. He said he was getting the listed installation shop hours corrected with the supplier. Knowing him, he was also going to get some of the labor from the supplier for the incorrect installation time. Anyway, for a day of hanging around waiting for the Jeep to be done, I wound up not spending about $550! Not a bad retirement day effort! And to top it off it was a very nice day!

Went fishing and the cats and ling were biting good. Checked on my turkey blind and did a little scouting for tomorrow morning opener.

Oh no, Aja8888! Try to rest with it elevated, and ice it too. I hope it improves soon. Between that, and all your recent dental work, and your DW's health problems, this has not been a good spring for you.

Aja8888, I pinched something in my knee a couple of years ago and was in major pain. The orthopedic doc told me to take an Aleve every day. I have done that and it is good unless I am up and down ladders all day. Then it flares up.

W2R, I have been icing it and trying to not do anything that would add to the damage (twisting my leg). I have a good knee brace on it but it's not getting any better. But, then again, old men don't heal fast so I am not surprised.

Tried to get a doctor appointment with DW's knee doc and the earliest I can get in is 4/25. :(

Hermit, thanks for the Aleve tip. One of my friends said the same and tomorrow I will start on it.

W2R, I have been icing it and trying to not do anything that would add to the damage (twisting my leg). I have a good knee brace on it but it's not getting any better. But, then again, old men don't heal fast so I am not surprised.

Tried to get a doctor appointment with DW's knee doc and the earliest I can get in is 4/25. :(

Hermit, thanks for the Aleve tip. One of my friends said the same and tomorrow I will start on it.

aja, It's only been a week. Take the Aleve and stay off it (don't "try" to stay off it) as much as possible. I know you are active but you've got to give it a rest. Don't worry about "things" getting done because they will still be there at a later date. Speedy recovery!:flowers:

Catching up after a very pleasant two-night RV trip to Fredericksburg for some wine tasting, wildflowers, German food and retail therapy (DH skipped the latter). Beautiful spring weather! Photos here are from Wildseed Farms which is a wildflower seed producer (plus a general nursery, gift shop, and entertainment venue). The red flowers are Red Corn Poppies, planted in honor of the 100th anniversary of WWI. The others are bluebonnets.

IMG_7293.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg

IMG_7295.jpg

Absolutely beautiful, MBAustin!!! I remember those Texas wildflowers from back when I lived in College Station, and would see them near the highways when driving to Austin. They are amazing and unforgettable.

Beautiful! I love red poppies. There are several types of poppies I saw in UK as well.

No flowers here...the ground is still frozen in spots. :)

It snuck up to 19C today, so I did a couple hours of spring cleaning...put the window screens back on, patio furniture back on the deck, bit of garage cleaning, etc.

Interesting fact: it is technically illegal to grow poppies, as you would be growing the raw material for opiate production.

Went to a FFA plant and succulent sale locally. We debated whether to get breakfast first, but decided to go to the sale first. Good idea! They were selling brisket burritos there:D
We bought a beautiful large pot with a variety of succulents and have it on our front porch.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom