What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are finally digging our pool. I’ve always wanted a pool and I am so so excited.

Please do yourself and your wallet a favor and learn the BBB pool method instead of buying all of the overpriced chemicals from the pool store.

B=Bleach
B=Borax
B=Baking soda

Took DS15 to the airport last night. He’s off to the Dominican Republic for 16 days on a cultural immersion/community service/personal growth trip. Still awaiting his “safe arrival” phone call.

I just got off a call to my Medigap insurer to cancel my policy. After I ending the call I'm not sure that's what I actually did - I may have auditioned for a Saturday Night Live skit.

Absolutely unbelievable. I spent 25 minutes on the call, 20 minutes of that was in total silence (not on hold) waiting for the rep to respond to a question. After three of these long silences the rep asked me, "Sir REW, what can I do for you today?" (three (3) times!). :facepalm:

I'm calling back tomorrow to see if I can get confirmation that it's actually canceled - or that Lorne Michaels will hear my tape. :)

Happened to be doing something in the garage with the door open and spotted a young man walking up the block towing a little wagon full of boxes. He stopped and said "I'm here to install your new smart electric meter. Would this be a convenient time?"

We had received notice a few weeks ago that this was coming, so no surprise. Watched him do it and the whole process took about two minutes. Chatted with him for a bit and was pleased to hear that no meter readers were fired -- just retrained and given new jobs.

I just got off a call to my Medigap insurer to cancel my policy. After I ending the call I'm not sure that's what I actually did - I may have auditioned for a Saturday Night Live skit.

Absolutely unbelievable. I spent 25 minutes on the call, 20 minutes of that was in total silence (not on hold) waiting for the rep to respond to a question. After three of these long silences the rep asked me, "Sir REW, what can I do for you today?" (three (3) times!). :facepalm:

I'm calling back tomorrow to see if I can get confirmation that it's actually canceled - or that Lorne Michaels will hear my tape. :)

Just curious, but why did you cancel the policy? When i did the same, it was because I medically qualified for a switch to a different plan.

Happened to be doing something in the garage with the door open and spotted a young man walking up the block towing a little wagon full of boxes. He stopped and said "I'm here to install your new smart electric meter. Would this be a convenient time?"

We had received notice a few weeks ago that this was coming, so no surprise. Watched him do it and the whole process took about two minutes. Chatted with him for a bit and was pleased to hear that no meter readers were fired -- just retrained and given new jobs.

Our city went through this about 8 years ago. Everyone got a new electric meter that would automatically be read. Sounds wonderful, no more meter readers, no more estimates, easy peasy.

Until they started failing. Over the past couple of years about 1/5 of them have stopped transmitting the monthly reading. They measure the electricity usage just fine, they just don’t tell our utility what the reading is. So the city has rehired some meter readers.

I had no idea ours was not transmitting until we got a note on the door that the meter reader could not access the meter because our dog was out. I called in the reading and told them to put a note in our file to knock on the door if the dog is out. They said ours had stopped working within the last 6 months.

I looked into what is happening locally and the story is that the city buying into the new technology and this program was a great idea. But the installers and meters were all contracted through another entity and now they are having a hard time getting answers on all the failures.

All of the water meters were also replaced with smart ones that transmit the reading. No problem with the water ones at this point.

Last edited:
My Jeep died again today. I will probably have to get it towed in. Sigh. Reliability is definitely not a Chrysler forte.

Be careful, these things send out waves so they can read your mind.

Did a 3 hour bike ride with my wife that ends every time with a 1280 ft climb back up to our home. We are doing this about 3-4 times per week. This is a great way to stay in shape.

Attachments

• IMG_20180624_103711648.jpg
    IMG_20180624_103711648.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 53
Until they started failing. Over the past couple of years about 1/5 of them have stopped transmitting the monthly reading.

Reminds me of a story. I have a friend who w*rked for a utility company that considered smart meters. They did the analysis and the cost over the expected lifetime of the smart meters was just slightly more than the cost of keeping the old meters and human readers. So they passed.

Be careful, these things send out waves so they can read your mind.

Not a chance. I blew big time dough last week buying a new titanium foil hat.

Some take longer than others to adjust to progressive lenses. It came naturally to me but DW struggled. One exercise she found helpful was to walk slowly down the aisles in the supermarket, reading the labels on products. Since their distance from your eyes varies gradually, she was able to train her eyes to work with the lenses much more easily than in other environments. After less than a week she was very comfortable with them.

Yesterday we went to the Springs early. It's getting busy in town for the holiday. Awesome day, not a cloud anywhere to be seen. As I'm enjoying my time I hear a noise that's out of place. Here come 4 WWII single engine fighter planes in tight formation coming up the river. I guess just practice for the fourth.

DW's legs are almost well, we walked our circle and she says she can do a full workout today.

I got a bunch of messages and phone calls in the afternoon, Megacorp had another layoff, post acquisition. Who would have thought? Lot of older developers were let go, suprising how many are trying to stay in the workforce. I was very pleased that 5 of my old peers took the opportunity to launch their retirement. A few of them had been interested in an opportunity for a package.

Yesterday was warm. DW turned on the AC for the first time. Seems we turn it on at least 1 day every year.

Last edited:
Did a 3 hour bike ride with my wife that ends every time with a 1280 ft climb back up to our home. We are doing this about 3-4 times per week. This is a great way to stay in shape.

That looks like a very nice path for riding.

I’m getting ready to head out to guide a bike trip on the D&L trail. There’s no real reason for a guide, but this is a school group of girls and they want a guide presence to help herd them.

It’s 60 degrees and raining. My biggest challenge will be convincing the girls that they are having fun. This will be the third paid trip in a row for me in the rain. I was planning on going out early to ride before the group arrived, but no sense in getting muddy before they show up.

That looks like a very nice path for riding.

I’m getting ready to head out to guide a bike trip on the D&L trail. There’s no real reason for a guide, but this is a school group of girls and they want a guide presence to help herd them.

It’s 60 degrees and raining. My biggest challenge will be convincing the girls that they are having fun. This will be the third paid trip in a row for me in the rain. I was planning on going out early to ride before the group arrived, but no sense in getting muddy before they show up.

It is nice. We have about 80 miles of bike trails where we live. No car traffic and the only obstacles are people on their cell phones walking and talking. We have to leave at about 6:00 AM, otherwise it gets too hot. As far as rain goes, we won't see any until at least October.

Some take longer than others to adjust to progressive lenses. It came naturally to me but DW struggled. One exercise she found helpful was to walk slowly down the aisles in the supermarket, reading the labels on products. Since their distance from your eyes varies gradually, she was able to train her eyes to work with the lenses much more easily than in other environments. After less than a week she was very comfortable with them.

Thanks for the suggestion - i'll try that. I suspect (hope) its just a matter of getting used to them.

DH and I were talking about all the political campaigns ads. Had a good laugh as we talked about running for office. DH said we’d run in the premise of having a national pajama day. I told him I’d ask Red Badger to be a running mate and we’d all have fun checking for dust bunnies on the lawn. Definitely a day of “life AFTER Fire”!

Bingo!

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/medicare-choices-92364-6.html#post2065797

DW and I both made it through underwriting to change to another company and a different Medigap plan.

I did the same switch last year going from full Plan F to G (much lower cost per month). The only difference is the $184 annual deductible I pay versus $0 on full F. But the monthly cost of G is quite a bit lower and (supposedly) the rate of annual premium increase with G is less than F.

With DW, we kept her on full F as she would have never qualified for G.

I did the same switch last year going from full Plan F to G (much lower cost per month). The only difference is the $184 annual deductible I pay versus $0 on full F. But the monthly cost of G is quite a bit lower and (supposedly) the rate of annual premium increase with G is less than F.

With DW, we kept her on full F as she would have never qualified for G.

Looks I stumbled across what you apparently already knew - it can pay to re-look at your Medigap premium costs if you are still healthy enough to make it through underwriting to take advantage of better/less costly plans.

Our switch from Plan F high deductible to N allowed each of us to eliminate $2,000+ in annual deductibles by increasing her annual premium by $168, mine by $276. And like you, we will no longer have to be concerned about the potential of higher than normal rate of increases for Plan F.

A friend sent me this:

If anyone is having a bad day today, remember that today in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $800..... now it is worth $58,065,210,000.

Ouch!

We are on day four of our pool going in. And now I am going down to make homemade vegetable soup.

Looks I stumbled across what you apparently already knew - it can pay to re-look at your Medigap premium costs if you are still healthy enough to make it through underwriting to take advantage of better/less costly plans.

Our switch from Plan F high deductible to N allowed each of us to eliminate $2,000+ in annual deductibles by increasing her annual premium by $168, mine by $276. And like you, we will no longer have to be concerned about the potential of higher than normal rate of increases for Plan F.

To be honest, I didn't figure this out through research on my own. Our ROMEO meetup every day usually includes a local 50ish year old Humana medical insurance rep who has given our group of 70+ year old guys a lot of key information about the ins and outs of Medicare.

Friends recently bought a snowbird place. They're telling us that they need to outfit the new place - to include a backscratcher just like they have in Illinois. I borrowed their backscratcher today and made one just like it.

Also recovering from a photo frame install accident. I stood on my swivel office chair to put the frame on a bookshelf. The chair and lower leg swiveled. Upper leg and upper body did not swivel. Had severe knee pain all night and limped most of the morning. Now it seems to be getting better with some activity. I'll never stand on a swivel chair again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom