What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not me, you can't pay me enough to go fishing. I prefer to buy my fish in a fish store, nicely cleaned and , occasionally, deboned as well. :cool:

I do not fish either, but fishing is not about fish. As a popular proverb goes,

"Give a man a fish, and he eats for one day.
Teach him to fish, and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day" -- Anon.

I always liked: "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Today we took the dog to a park with a lake for a walk and then went out for dinner. Last night we went to a bar for drinks and dancing to see a local band I stumbled across on Facebook I thought might be good. The band was even better in person, especially especially the drummer. When we got home I looked up their other gigs so we could see them again.

It turned out the band we saw, Lumberyard, was a side gig for the drummer - his day job is drummer for Counting Crows (and before that Sheryl Crow). So that was kind of a cool find, especially since they played all classic rock songs from the 70s and on which is our favorite kind of music.

Last edited:

I always liked: "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

I like mine better. It's about bestowing pleasure and happiness. Yours is, well, something completely opposite.

DW just bought a new Kenmore Gas grill for us. She is actually the "BBQ Queen" (Apologies to ABBA).
The assembly instructions were very clear, but I got to a point where one of the screws holding the side shelf to the BBQ would not go in. After a dozen tries, I took the shelf off and tried the screw-no go:(. I have a beautiful SAE tap and die set, but unfortunately, all the hardware was metric.
A quick trip to the hardware store for a 6mm tap, and I was in business!. Later on, before I assembled the other shelf, I tried the screw,with the same result. I just ran the tap through, and solved that problem.
The bbq is all together and lit on the first try:dance:

DH and I spent from 6 am til noon at the firehouse, volunteering to help cook breakfast for the monthly fundraiser. We like the people who volunteer with us so it’s usually a good time.

This afternoon we went down into the crawl space to complete a plumbing project. We installed a three-canister filter unit to (hopefully) remediate the iron problem we have. It was our first project using Pex, and it went pretty well. Got everything hooked up, and no leaks when we turned the water back on.

I’m starting with a 30 micron - 5 micron - carbon filter series. We’ll see how that works. I could tell immediately that the first two filters are doing something, since they turned orange as soon as water flowed through them.

Gym day, then a minor grocery run. And at checkout, I got carded! (I'm 67.) So I ask "Don't I look older than 18 to you?" The young lady's response was "I just turned 18 and I don't want to take any chances." Oh, okay, she doesn't want to screw up and get fired from what is possibly her first job. Not a problem then.

Went to the market and saw that there was a sale on onion at 4 lbs for $1. That reminded me that I have not had onion soup this winter. Of course that deprivation could be quickly remedied.

I may need to go back to the store soon, because that pot of soup will not last long for someone who gobbles down a quart of it at a time.

People worry about not having enough money? For me, $1 worth of onion, 10c worth of electricity plus a few little add-ons can bring me happiness already. I am cheap.

DD picked out her wedding dress today and paid for it with my CC. I can't wait for this wedding bloodletting to end...in April.:(

Gym day, then a minor grocery run. And at checkout, I got carded! (I'm 67.) So I ask "Don't I look older than 18 to you?" The young lady's response was "I just turned 18 and I don't want to take any chances." Oh, okay, she doesn't want to screw up and get fired from what is possibly her first job. Not a problem then.

That is so cool! I don't buy alcohol any more, but when I did I loved being carded and imagining that maybe some people thought I was that young.

I think the mysterious, secret smile of the Mona Lisa was probably because she was remembering that she had been carded earlier that day. :D

mona-lisa.jpg

DD picked out her wedding dress today and paid for it with my CC. I can't wait for this wedding bloodletting to end...in April.:(

You’re a loving father. :). And don’t forget to post a pic of y’all walking down the aisle.

Last edited:
Don't forget you need to dress sharply too. It's the only daughter you have. I also splurged a bit for my daughter's wedding.

Went and spent the better part of the day at the ranch. Light a fire and worked on some blinds I bought for 1 buck at a good will store. They are Sherman Douglas and what a buy I thought I had for 1 dollar and I got two blinds.

Well, I have had them up a few weeks and everything that could break on them has. I spent most of the time today trying to fix the one so I could pull down the blinds when i left.

I guess I got what I paid for them.

That's what money is for. Different ways to "blow the dough", but this one I agree with.

Rainey weekend. Made a grocery run this morning and grilled some burgers for lunch. Washed clothes and watched golf on tv. Going to dig up a movie on Netflix and watch that tonight.

Been there, done that. Something tells me you will be all smiles at the wedding! Congrats to you and the new couple in advance!

Lots of interesting and funny stuff here, recently.

I'm doing my write-a-book-in-one-month thing. I find it's the best way, but it's a love/hate experience.

kgQN3mR.jpg

One thing is that when I've finished my word count goal for the day, I have the feeling of being free. On vacation.

Of course, I am on vacation all the time, but this makes the feeling more intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom