What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to w**k I go. Received a call from former boss, the person who took my place is not working out (over a year later!), wondering if I am available on call to help "fix the back log and be present for staff" :facepalm:. I will be going in 10-20 hours a week, good $, no need to be bothered by politics or office BS and I like my previous co workers, so this will be interesting. No timelines, and since it is on-call, I won't stay if I don't enjoy it. My volunteer gig is done, so this is a good time.

Before I go to my annual well-woman checkup I now need to pick up prayer shawls from church then go to the drugstore for cards and gift bags and then to the post office. My sister called late last night to report that her stepdaughter's ex-husband (and father of her 2 elementary-age children) committed suicide yesterday afternoon. Apparently no signals at all before this happened. He was very involved with his kids so this is incredibly tough on all of them. So tragic.

Today, I argued in the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in NYC. Weeks of preparation for 10 minutes of speaking. I had lunch in the City while I was there.

Last edited:
How long does it take to know the results?

Usually several months at the earliest. This a case that has a high probability of going to the Supreme Court. I'd love to argue there, but in all likelihood I'll be retired by the time that occurs.

Yesterday....was a very cold day here in Iowa. So it was a good day to cook! I made turnovers for breakfast and put together potato salad for dinner. I did get out to go to yoga class and stopped at my son's heating and cooling shop (I work a little for him.) The rest of the day was spent at home. We walked about a mile in our neighborhood, but that meant dressing in full winter gear, snow pants, boots, etc. since the wind chill temp was below zero. I am planning to get out of the house more today, I will need it.

Today, I argued in the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in NYC. Weeks of preparation for 10 minutes of speaking. I had lunch in the City while I was there.

Yesterday, I argued in the kitchen for about 10 minutes with no preparation and no right of appeal.

The results were known immediately.

Then I had to make my own lunch.

:LOL:

Moved to our new view...

Attachments

• IMG_20180202_100030.jpg
    IMG_20180202_100030.jpg
    955.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Had a follow-up appointment with the plastic surgeon who has done two operations on me for melanoma, no sign of any recurrence. Then he gave me the bad news: He's retiring at the end of the year. He's well known for being very good at what he does but he's a few years older than me so I guess he's earned it.

Then we went to the gym since it's in the same building and did just the cardio workout, we did the full workout yesterday. With the outside temperature of 22° and a high forecast for 27° we're inside for the rest of the day.

Bought a new Miele dishwasher today. It will be delivered in a week.

Carnival is ramping up here, with Mardi Gras just ten days away. We live a short half block from a major parade route, so we are right in the middle of everything. Last night there was a big parade and parade-goers were parking everywhere. Our driveways were blocked, but we really didn't care. We could hear the marching bands and although we didn't walk down there, still it was fun.

Tonight's parade was cancelled due to rain, but there is still a free rock concert in the neutral ground (=median) of a large street a couple of blocks away. The lead act is Cyndi Lauper and I have to agree with her that fundamentally, "Girls just want to have fun!". The musicians are sheltered from the rain, and probably the attendees have umbrellas. I can hear it faintly off in the distance.

The parade that was supposed to be tonight will be tomorrow during the Superbowl.

Experiences, not things? Wow, there sure is a lot going on. :LOL:

Attachments

• Excalibur.jpg
    Excalibur.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 73
We are currently in Tucson where we are taking a respite from the PNW rain. Today we went to the awesome air and space museum. I booked this room as an Airbnb and to our shock, the rest of the house is empty and has a for sale sign out front. Occasionally real estate agents bring people through. The good news is we have the whole house and it is in a beautiful location with a mountain view.

The new R/C transmitter arrived late yesterday and I have that set up to be a "buddy box" when teaching someone to fly an airplane. I flip a switch on the master transmitter and the student then has control. When he loses control (which WILL happen when learning) I can either flip the switch back or simply move my sticks to regain control of the airplane. The cool thing about this setup is that it's wireless, in that my transmitter "thinks" the other radio is another airplane. One of those things that I gather is a bit complicated electronically but pretty simple for us non-engineer types to use.

I also got a 4.3" FPV (first person view) screen with a DVR in it that seems to work OK. We're in the middle of an ice storm so even the birds are walking, I'm not going to try flying in this weather. So I made a short video from the point of view of a camera mounted on top of an R/C airplane taxing around the living and family room. (Oops, sorry about that scratch on the table leg, dear.) DW refuses to authorize public release because it shows an image of the dining room table cluttered with R/C stuff.:LOL:

Usually several months at the earliest. This a case that has a high probability of going to the Supreme Court. I'd love to argue there, but in all likelihood I'll be retired by the time that occurs.

Few things are worth coming out of retirement for, that might be one.

I was going gunho with the BMS for the lithium batteries in my RV, when I plugged a connector in the wrong way and burned out a chip last week.

After I stopped cursing at myself, I decided to rebuild the board in a new way, now that I had the firmware checked out. It is to allow easier packaging into a small enclosure to be mounted close to the batteries. I need some parts to come from China, and although the shipping time is now down to 2-3 weeks vs. 5-6 weeks in the year-end holiday period, it gives me a lot of dead time.

I should go back to my big home battery project in the mean time, but oh boy it still involves a lot of work. Having committed money and time, I am way past the point of no return and will carry it through. I have to.

We went to Yoshi's at Jack London Square and saw Max Weinberg's Jukebox band. They had a list of 200 classic rock songs from bands like the Beatles and Rolling Stones on a rolling marquee and the audience got to choose the songs. We had a great time and still get a kick out of being able to go out on a week night and not have to get up early the next day.

While shopping today I noticed this license plate on the car parked next to me. Never saw the driver.

Attachments

• Medal of Honor.jpg
    Medal of Honor.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 56
Yesterday was a long day of hunting in the middle of wind-blasted sagebrush prairie. I managed to miss a lot of jackrabbits, including a couple that were eminently doable shots. An off day. Late morning a friend who is a local out there drove up to my truck and asked if I were missing a dog. Nope. He lives in a small single wide and could not hang onto the dog for more than the day. I said that if an owner did not turn up I would hang onto her for the duration. Sure enough, no owner showed up and she had no collar or markings and was thin to the point of ribs and hip bones showing. So a dog followed me home. Hoping to find the owner, but a scam at the vet showed no microchip.

Attachments

• KIMG0873(1).jpeg
    KIMG0873(1).jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 45
While shopping today I noticed this license plate on the car parked next to me. Never saw the driver.

Very impressive. I probably would have waited around for a bit, hoping to maybe shake his hand and thank him. Those guys are incredible. Last I saw, fewer than 80 of them living. I've had the great pleasure of meeting two of them.

Interesting that Texas does that with the plate. As I'm sure most know, it is not technically known as the "Congressional" MOH, although many people call it that. Although Congress authorized the award conditions, it's just the Medal of Honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom