What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good dirt_dobber!

+1 Now come build me one too !! An outfeed table is on my list of things to do once we get home and I start [-]cleaning[/-] organizing my workshop.

We're on holiday, so we spent the day roaming the beaches of beautiful Jekyll Island. Then had chili dogs for a late lunch/dinner (DW indulged me) and I finished the day sipping black rum while finishing off a book. Great day.

We found one of the two dogs we lost 2 months ago! She is very skinny, but I hope she will make it OK. My daughter took her up to Denver where they have a nice size fenced back yard for her. Looks like I get to go up there and sit with the dog while she recovers for a bit. Before and after pictures below:

Attachments

• 20170623_222206.jpg
    20170623_222206.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG950455.jpg
    IMG950455.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 43
Wow! Amazing that she survived, considering the season and where you live. I'm sure she'll make it, she's obviously a tough old girl. Congratulations on getting her back.

Wow! Amazing that she survived, considering the season and where you live. I'm sure she'll make it, she's obviously a tough old girl. Congratulations on getting her back.

The people where we found her said the overnight temps have been below zero for the last couple of weeks. They have mostly been just above zero here where I live. She was eating at the animal shelter where we first took her so about all we can do now is giver her time and prayers. We will take her to a vet, but I don't think there is a whole lot more that can be done.

What a wonderful thing, in many ways.
That dog will get lots of special love for the rest of her life.

What a wonderful thing, in many ways.
That dog will get lots of special love for the rest of her life.

She had lived in an apartment for several years with my son and did just fine visiting the dog park every day and going for walks. But when she is in a place where there is a forest, she gets determined to be free in the forest. I think that will never change so she gets to stay with DD in the Denver area where there is no forest probably until DS can come and get her in the summer. She is eating and pooping so I think she will be OK. DD took her to a vet yesterday and that went well too.

I finished my taxes.I was procrastinating because I thought I owed but the moral of the story is never try to do your taxes when you are recovering .I am getting a nice refund .

Drove to Charlottesville, VA for a follow-up visit with the electrophysiologist who did the cardiac ablation to treat the afib two years ago. It seems to have worked, I haven't had any events of afib since then. The appointment is tomorrow but we normally stay in a hotel be night before because it only takes one dufus on I-81 to wreck and make us late and miss the appointment. Besides, DW really likes staying in the hotel and restaurant meals once in a while. After the appointment we'll just drive back.

I had a fun day. Slept until 6:30 which is nice and late for me. Worked at my son's shop for 1.5 hours, then off to lunch with GFs, my mom and sis. Home now relaxing. I had a nice glass of wine while I made meatloaf, baked potatoes, and green beans. We have fresh cottage cheese and bread to go along and it is almost ready. I will have to wake DH from his nap.

I also got my mom and dad's taxes efiled today, before TurboTax went up in price. I missed this last year.

Gym day. I really wasn't in the mood but enjoyed it immensely when we were done. DW increased her lift in a couple of exercises today. 😁

The local Mexican restaurant had great specials, including happy hour margarita prices. Nice.

Driving home we couldn't see any mountains to the north, there's a storm. We could see snow falling over where our house is, kinda weird. We drove into a cloud and the snowstorm, watching the clouds make snow at home.

Later, the sky parted and the sun is shining.

We found one of the two dogs we lost 2 months ago! She is very skinny, but I hope she will make it OK. My daughter took her up to Denver where they have a nice size fenced back yard for her. Looks like I get to go up there and sit with the dog while she recovers for a bit. Before and after pictures below:

Poor thing looks like the starving dogs in Venezuela that I saw a photo of.

Checked the energy usage of the new fridge. This secondary fridge in the utility room is a 25 cu.ft., replacing an old 18 cu.ft.

The new one draws only 1.5 kWh/day, compared to 3.5 kWh/day of the old one which is smaller. Both numbers compare well to the typical numbers I found on the Web. Yes, they do make them better.

I still have not measured the energy usage of the main fridge, which is 32 cu.ft. Have to pull it away from the wall, and I do not feel motivated.

I must have brought bad luck on myself!

This morning, my wife happened to spot some water under the main fridge in the kitchen. I immediately pulled it out to inspect the back. Darn solenoid valve assembly for the ice maker developed a leak. It was found in time, else the laminate floor would be damaged (again!). Darn!

A trip to the part store and $60 later, a new valve was installed. While I had the fridge out from its niche, I plugged in the Kill-A-Watt to measure the energy usage. Will log it over a few days to get a good reading.

Totally unrelated to the current Carpal Tunnel thread, just got home from being diagnosed with same, (following electric shock type testing). Follow up consultation with an orthopedic surgeon pending......then (probably) the op when we get home from Romania.

(Commented to the dental hygienist yesterday that it's quite interesting to observe oneself falling apart.)

Totally unrelated to the current Carpal Tunnel thread, just got home from being diagnosed with same, (following electric shock type testing). Follow up consultation with an orthopedic surgeon pending......then (probably) the op when we get home from Romania.

(Commented to the dental hygienist yesterday that it's quite interesting to observe oneself falling apart.)
Sorry to hear that, Nemo2! Believe me, those of us past a certain age know exactly what you are talking about as far as falling apart. I mean, I knew that some physical problems from aging would happen but I seem to be on the fast track. :LOL: Oh well, life is always an adventure, or so I tell myself. Best of luck with your carpal tunnel.

Believe me, those of us past a certain age know exactly what you are talking about as far as falling apart. I mean, I knew that some physical problems from aging would happen but I seem to be on the fast track.

Bryan Adams:

"I got my motor runnin', fingers drummin'
I never planned to stay

Getaway, you know it's now or never
Getaway, nobody lives forever
We're only waitin' just to make our getaway."
:LOL:

Got a pot of Hungarian goulash stewing on the stove. Texted my son and asked if he cared to stop by in the evening for dinner. Of course he would. My children are crazy about some dishes I make.

Nailed and glued on the new boards to my old "Green Egg Crate" I made 18 years ago. Replaced it with a new factory table that looks real good like my new deck.

The old table was still sturdy but looked 18 years old. So instead of tossing it I covered up the big hole and going to paint it and make it my new portable (has wheels) workbench.

Started planning the RV trip with a friend of mine. We are going to Cedarville, MI in June for 2 weeks to build a 17' Northeaster Dory. Bringing the motorcycle on a trailer and using the trailer to haul the boat (and motorcycle) back to Texas.

Yep, two old Viet Nam vets out and about by themselves for 1/2 a month spending money like crazy (and having fun).

Last edited:
Started planning the RV trip with a friend of mine. We are going to Cedarville, MI in June for 2 weeks to build a 17' Northester Dory. Bringing the motorcycle on a trailer and using the trailer to haul the boat (and motorcycle) back to Texas.

Yep, two old Viet Nam vets out and about by themselves for 1/2 a month spending money like crazy (and having fun).

Expecting pictures in July. :)

We will be headed northwest in our RV to Anchorage and Fairbanks in that time frame. I have had this song in my head.

Is this song applicable to a couple of buddies, like aja and his buddy?

"Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way
Two drifters off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see
We're after the same rainbow's end, waitin' 'round the bend
My huckleberry friend, moon river, and me"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom