What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed a ceiling fan I purchased on clearance at Lowes (was $99 I got it for $22)
I rarely get deals like this - feeling satisfied by the savings as I spent nearly $1500 for a new fridge earlier in the week.

Calories burned is roughly dependent on distance and body weight, and will increase with added speed or intensity:

https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-calories-burned-by-miles-3887154
Indeed.

We both used parts of the body the gym hasn't been hitting. The snow shoes and(lack of) technique make a difference too. It's a great exercise.

Only a few miles north of where we live there's a great area in the national forest for snow shoeing and Xcountry. It's at 8100' and the weather can be different there. It was much colder, we're at 500' lower. The sun, wind, altitude can make major differences in how a person feels.

I'm trying to get DW to the hot springs. I guess by tomorrow she'll be ready to go.

Last edited:
What did you do today.

Today is day 60 of my early retirement. Woke up at 7:00 AM and went for a 3 mile run. I used to get up a 5:00 AM so waking up a 7:00 still feels like sleeping in. Breakfast with DW. Then some work around the house as we are still recovering from Hurricane Harvey. Had lunch in an outdoor cafe. Walked the dog and then DW and I went to a Happy Hour and listened to a band playing oldies. Tomorrow is Saturday so I will make it a point to avoid Home Depot,the Mall and all Grocery Stores. Anything I need can be acquired on Monday when these establishments are sparsely populated. When I was working, it seems I could blow an entire weekend dealing with the crowds in these stores.

Rode across the Golden Gate bridge today, then to Sausalito, and to Tiburon. Then took the ferry back to San Francisco. The hills were killer, but a great day.

Originally Posted by street:
It was about 12 degrees and a beautiful day.

Two phrases that I would never use in the same sentence.

Harley, I take it you have never been on top of a mountain when the sky is blue, you are quite comfortable in your ski gear, the vista is snow covered mountain ranges in all directions, and a day of skiing is just starting.

Yesterday was a good example of why we are often reluctant to leave the DC area. I started the day doing laundry and playing the piano (could do that anywhere). After lunch I took the Metro into the city where I visited the Air and Space Museum. They have an interesting exhibit on art from World War I. Apparently the army drafted 8 talented artists/illustrators and sent them over with the AEF to record their impressions. Some really interesting/harrowing works. Then I popped over to the National Gallery of Art to see the special exhibit on an Estonian Renaissance painter. Met DW when she finished w*rk and we went to our favorite German restaurant. Finished up the evening seeing an incredible recital of Bach on harpsichord and violin.

Harley, I take it you have never been on top of a mountain when the sky is blue, you are quite comfortable in your ski gear, the vista is snow covered mountain ranges in all directions, and a day of skiing is just starting.

That's an affirmative. All my skiing in the mountains has involved warm days and mountain lake vistas. And the back of a boat. As NW-Bound says, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

That's an affirmative. All my skiing in the mountains has involved warm days and mountain lake vistas. And the back of a boat. As NW-Bound says, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
I'll have to agree. I have been on skis behind a boat and it woud take a lot of beer to compare!

Digging out from one big snowstorm (6"), and waiting for the next one to hit (supposedly up to 8"). The calm before the storm. There's no place to put the snow anymore when shoveling, the mounds are so high.
I made bacon for breakfast and put in a supply of chocolate. About to make a nice fire and settle down with a book and purring cat on my lap.

Digging out from one big snowstorm (6"), and waiting for the next one to hit (supposedly up to 8"). The calm before the storm. There's no place to put the snow anymore when shoveling, the mounds are so high.

That's the reason I bought the first snow thrower, I just couldn't throw the snow far enough. And that was 30+ years ago.

We cooked a whole chicken in the oven this afternoon. It's cold and rainy outside but thankfully no snow. I'm tempted to move the snow thrower from the garage to the shed but I know what'll happen if I do that.:nonono:

Cooked two chickens on the rotisserie, and started curing another pork belly since we're running low on bacon (Oh, no!).

Trivia:

Today would have been Steve Jobs' 63rd birthday. How much he accomplished during his relatively short life!

Today is day 60 of my early retirement. Woke up at 7:00 AM and went for a 3 mile run. I used to get up a 5:00 AM so waking up a 7:00 still feels like sleeping in. Breakfast with DW. Then some work around the house as we are still recovering from Hurricane Harvey. Had lunch in an outdoor cafe. Walked the dog and then DW and I went to a Happy Hour and listened to a band playing oldies. Tomorrow is Saturday so I will make it a point to avoid Home Depot,the Mall and all Grocery Stores. Anything I need can be acquired on Monday when these establishments are sparsely populated. When I was working, it seems I could blow an entire weekend dealing with the crowds in these stores.

Ain't it great? I'm closing in on my first year.

What you describe could have been my day - almost any day - except I don't run but walk at the indoor track at the health club. I've learned when to time my visits there so as to avoid those crowds, too. Actually, it's the weekday morning (traditional) retirees I try to avoid (sorry all!) as they tend to be there more for socializing and parking in everyone else's way than for the exercise. Saturdays can look crowded but the clientele tends to be more down-to-business, and much of the crowd are there for kids' activities, organized sports in the gymnasium, or classes.

I got my new hair trimmer from Amazon last night and used it this morning. Both the old one and new one are Remington. The new one worked fine and I like the vacuum on it. I am not even hoping it lasts another 32 years, but I would be happy to stick around and find out if it does!

Gym day, I was beat going in. Trying to add a little more cardio doesn't help.

Figured out who a gentleman that looks familiar is. We run into he and his wife elsewhere. We keep running into these folks, glad I finally recognized him.

Went out for lunch at a local Mexican place, our favorite. Today's special Menudo and I tried theirs for the first time. Not bad, I should have added a little more spice, but that's my problem. DW didn't know what it was. She was looking at the tripe(beef stomach), thinking it looked like Morel mushrooms, I explained the difference. There was a split second where I thought sure, go ahead and try the tripe, but that little red guy on my shoulder left.✌

She did try some broth and hominy with spice but tripe was not on her menu.

Since we got 10" of rain today, I finished our taxes and e-filed the Fed return. No state return here.

Checked the energy usage of the new fridge. This secondary fridge in the utility room is a 25 cu.ft., replacing an old 18 cu.ft.

The new one draws only 1.5 kWh/day, compared to 3.5 kWh/day of the old one which is smaller. Both numbers compare well to the typical numbers I found on the Web. Yes, they do make them better.

I still have not measured the energy usage of the main fridge, which is 32 cu.ft. Have to pull it away from the wall, and I do not feel motivated.

Since we got 10" of rain today, I finished our taxes and e-filed the Fed return. No state return here.

10"? WOW! :eek: That's a lot of rain for one day.

Since we usually get your weather a day or two later, I guess the predictions of rain here for the next couple of days are correct. Just looked at the radar, too (below).

Oh well, our houses have never flooded but we might consider staying at home if it gets too wild out there.

10"? WOW! :eek: That's a lot of rain for one day.

Since we usually get your weather a day or two later, I guess the predictions of rain here for the next couple of days are correct. Just looked at the radar, too (below).

Oh well, our houses have never flooded but we might consider staying at home if it gets too wild out there.

It rained hard for most of last night and today. My rain gauge is full at 5" and I'm guessing we got twice as much. It seems like the north side of Houston got hit harder than other areas. We have a creek near us and a soccer field adjacent to it and the field was under water.

Looking at the rain maps,it looks like the storms are heading on a northeast direction and going across northern Louisiana.

It's been a wet late winter/early Spring.

finished new outfeed / assembly table.

finished new outfeed / assembly table this weekend.
Dimensions are 46" long x 26" deep and 36 3/8" tall on 3 1/2" casters
I chose this size as I've had this 1" thick piece of butcher block laying around 4 years. I added Rockler's t-track system and there is one shelf in it that is high enough for the dust collection from the table saw. I also added my Wilton wood vise on one corner.
outfeed_a.jpg

outfeed_b.jpg

outfeed_c.jpg

outfeed_d.jpg

outfeed_e.jpg

outfeed_f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom