What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will you have time to visit Andorra, or have you been there already?

Have never been, and from the feedback received from others who have, (i.e. that it's little more than a tax free shopping mall), doubt that we will.

Tomorrow in Perpignan the medieval festival continues, (today watched/listened to a quintet apparently playing reproductions of period musical instruments.....not sure if the music was written down, handed down, or just plain made up, but it was enjoyable).

Monday, if our streak of good weather continues, we might take the 1 Euro bus down the coast to Collioure.

I am shocked that he did not even keep his data. :eek: Every researcher knows that if you can't produce your original data then your research is worthless. Or so I was taught in grad school.

Ha. You would be amazed by the number of people who lost the only USB stick with their data on in their office move just last month. Or who had their laptop stolen with the only copy of the data for a project that they got a million dollar grant for. So much homework, so many dogs.

Cleaning the garden today. I’m going to split some herbs and give some to my sister. Yesterday I had a bad dream about her, so I worried, I made a false pretense to share her some herbs in my text to her. She didn’t respond until very late that she was at a car dealership to have her car fixed. So that was a relief.

Edit to add, that was a 2 hours work out. With my Wellington boots, I were sweating like I was playing badminton.

Last edited:
Will you have time to visit Andorra, or have you been there already?

Have never been, and from the feedback received from others who have, (i.e. that it's little more than a tax free shopping mall), doubt that we will.

I got curious about Andorra years ago when I saw in the CIA World Factbook that Andorra residents had the longest life span. Thought I would go there to see what was in the water that they drank, or the air that they breathed, the food that they ate. :)

I got curious about Andorra years ago when I saw in the CIA World Factbook that Andorra residents had the longest life span. Thought I would go there to see what was in the water that they drank, or the air that they breathed, the food that they ate. :)

Monaco seems to have the record today. I suspect wealth plays a role.

Cleaned house. Spouse has been away for a week. I leave in a day to meet up with her, then we travel for three weeks. She does not want to come home to a mess...who can blame her.

Dishes mostly done, vacuumed the whole place, washed the wood floors (we only have hardwood and some ceramic). Dusted all the damm furniture, washed the doors, cabinets.

It makes me appreciate what I take for granted. Could have had someone in to do it but it is easier just to do it myself and git 'er done. Frankly, I would rather go through another quarter or fiscal year end in my old position than do housework. It is so unrewarding. Next time I will contract it out!

Now, for the next 24 hours I need to be super careful and not leave a mess. Very early flight so one thing is for certain...the bed won't get made. Oh well.

Last edited:
We went to a music crawl in Napa. One of our favorite classic rock cover bands was performing at the downtown amphitheater on the river front. We had a nice sunny day, beer and classic rock music so it was nice afternoon for us.

Yet again, caught the 1 Euro bus to Collioure......avoided any rain...a slight sprinkle when we returned to Perpignan.

Then we heard about the flooding in Carcassonne, where we were recently.......charmed lives (thus far).

Greetings,

The wife and I took our motorcycle down to Meersburg, DE for a an overnight. It was such a beautiful day I was daydreaming and missed a turn and we ended up on the Swiss side of Lake Constance. Turned out to be a fun little adventure and took the ferry back to the German side. If We we’re still working this would have been stressful as our time was always so limited and structured. I realized how wonderful retirement is during this adventure. No time constraints, no deadlines...wrong turn? No problem, stop and enjoy the moment!

JQ

20 months into FIRE, I got "the call" from a former co-worker. Megacorp acquired (yet another) small company to fill a hole in the product line, they wanted a 3-5 month contract engagement to bring someone up to speed in my old role. No real salary offer, but they typically pay contractors $100-$150/hr.

I thought about it.

For about 10 minutes.

No thanks. Done with that.

Greetings,

The wife and I took our motorcycle down to Meersburg, DE for a an overnight. It was such a beautiful day I was daydreaming and missed a turn and we ended up on the Swiss side of Lake Constance. Turned out to be a fun little adventure and took the ferry back to the German side. If We we’re still working this would have been stressful as our time was always so limited and structured. I realized how wonderful retirement is during this adventure. No time constraints, no deadlines...wrong turn? No problem, stop and enjoy the moment!

JQ

That sounds so pretty—we have been to the Bodensee a few times. We had to return a rental car in Bregenz, Austria at the southern tip of the lake a couple years ago and were stunned by how pretty it is. Would love to go back to this festival, which was being set up the two days we were there: https://bregenzerfestspiele.com Thank you for the reminder!

Had another brain MRI done today. The last one I had was eight years ago. Back then, nothing was amiss. I'm hoping this time they won't call me 'Abby Normal'... oh, btw, if you're claustrophobic like I am, valium works wonders.

Spent the morning at the Hospice repairing wheelchairs and walkers. Then went to Ace Hardware to pickup 2 dimmers DW wanted installed. Stopped at the market to pick up some stuff, and found a package of chicken wings with today's pull date. Butcher put 35% off sticker and away i went. Also picked up 3 bags of wonton crisps for salad.
Installed the dimmers, prepped the wings for the freezer.
DW came home, and said, "Look what I got for you"- 3 bags of Wonton crisps, bless her heart.:D

cross country skiing today

_8100386.jpg

Ha. You would be amazed by the number of people who lost the only USB stick with their data on in their office move just last month. Or who had their laptop stolen with the only copy of the data for a project that they got a million dollar grant for. So much homework, so many dogs.

Indeed...

Harvard Calls for Retraction of Dozens of Studies by Noted Cardiologist
Some 31 studies by Dr. Piero Anversa contain fabricated or falsified data, officials concluded.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/15/...lights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

One wonders if that is merely the tip of an iceberg...

Did hour of volleyball, some pull-ups, a few pushups with a 30 lb weight on back, delivered some food (chicken, corn and peach cobbler), then ate a small pizza from Pizza Show on Hawthorne Blvd, best pizza on planet earth (Boston brothers make it), but Mars likely better with that water NASA found. The pizza zeroed out the exercise, so I'm back at same weight.

Called mom, then watched a video. Took a very large thermos of Vodka and orange juice and sat on the Strand sharing, Sun goes down, Sun comes up.

Tonight will be mellow.

In the morning, tilled the soil of the planter bed with added cow manure to get ready for planting cold season vegetable. When I got done, the soil was so loamy and loose, it looked like potting soil. Still have 3/4 of the 50'-long planter bed to do.

Then, drove to Home Depot to get premixed concrete bags to pour the concrete slab for a small shed which will house the electronics and battery bank for the solar energy storage project. The concrete pouring will take place tomorrow.

Angel Flight today. Flew a little boy and his mom home after their medical appointment. We flew him 2 years ago just after he had a liver transplant. He looked so healthy today, it was wonderful. As he was leaving the airport to go home, he came over and hugged both of us. Priceless:)

Last edited:
Taking a six week tour of France and Switzerland. Had some fresh sardines in marseille for dinner at a pop up restaurant on the street in old port below our air b&b.

Attachments

• 64D36E02-EA1F-4C96-A6E1-C396EBF96C82.jpg
    64D36E02-EA1F-4C96-A6E1-C396EBF96C82.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 42
Sorry, no. That would be Modern Apizza in New Haven, Connecticut.

http://ir.tripadvisor.com/news-rele...ipadvisor-delivers-americas-10-best-pizzerias
Woke up a 3am, so let the pizza wars begin. I am a pizza fanatic. While working I ended up in NYC at least 4-5 times a year, and used the trips to hit pizza joints, so took Amtrak up to New Haven's grand old train station then onward to State street. I hit Sally's, Pepe's and Modern all in one day, all excellent. I preferred Pepe's, no seats so had to eat it in the parking lot in the cold. Ahhh, coal-fired pies.

Funny story, I could only eat 2-3 slices of a medium at each place, so got the rest put in a box, ended up getting on the return train filled with commuters smelling like a pizza. Gave most of it away, but no napkins, no plates but yankees can eat a folded slice without any problem.

If you get to LA try Pizza Show, both brothers have worked in New Haven.

Sorry, no. That would be Modern Apizza in New Haven, Connecticut.

http://ir.tripadvisor.com/news-rele...ipadvisor-delivers-americas-10-best-pizzerias

Read the trip advisor article and surprisingly I have eaten at 5 of the top ten. Agree with most but one place is a joke (Moose's Tooth) kinda like rating a McDonalds in Nebraska as a Michelin 4 star, the place is a tour bus stop, and brewery is filled with drunken teens who look local. I walked in looking at the tables and saw very soggy spinach pizza, looked the the spinach had been boiled, and a giant carrot and pineapple pizza, both looked raw. If not starving I would have walked out, my basic choice tasted like it was cooked in a microwave.
It was not authentic pizza, the signature pizza had cream cheese poured over apricot marmalade and raw julienned carrot, looked disgusting.

Rating is probably the result of the tour bus crowd getting back to the hotel wanting to tell friends what an amazing time they are having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom